2012 MLS Referee Assignments and Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by La Rikardo, Jan 7, 2012.

1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stickied thread updated as follows:

Wednesday, May 9th
    New York : Houston - STOICA/QUISENBERRY/SCOTT/GRAJEDA
    Chicago : Real Salt Lake - MARRUFO/BORIA/BALCIUNAS/STALMACH
    Dallas : Seattle -

Stoica gets his first whistle and Stalmach makes his debut in the league.

2. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    Anyone know anything about Stalmach?

3. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    Also on the MLS radar tomorrow night is the second leg of the Canadian Championship semifinals:

May 9, 2012
    8:00 PM EDT (Rogers Sportsnet)
    Toronto vs Montreal - David GANTAR / Joe FLETCHER / Philippe BREIRE / Silviu PETRESCU

11:00 PM EDT (Rogers Sportsnet)
    Vancouver vs Edmonton - Geoff GAMBLE / Darren CLARK / Kevin DULIBA / Alain RUCH

4. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is the Canadian Championship final a 2-leg affair? I think it is, but can't remember. In that case, it will be Petrescu and... _______? Has Fischer earned that spot or will the re-use a semifinal referee?

As for the last MLS game tomorrow, another debut with Fotis Bazakos. Seems pretty clear that there was a calculated plan to use the mid-week games for a lot of debuts. Smaller crowds and now that there are multiple games going on, less attention on individual referees. Plus you can concentrate veteran ARs and 4ths for support. Smart move.

Dallas : Seattle - F. BAZAKOS/F. ANDERSON/ROCKWELL/OKULAJA

5. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Elias' brother?

6. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    Yup. He becomes the third rookie whistle of the year after Chapman and Stoica.

7. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    It is two legs, yeah. Games are the next two Wednesdays. I imagine you're correct that they're unlikely to reuse a semifinal referee and the fourths for the semis were Bourdeau, Fischer, Petrescu, and Ruch. I've got to think that the first leg will be a crew along the lines of Fischer / Clark / Belleau / Ward and the second leg will be along the lines of Petrescu / Fletcher / Briere / Gantar. Maybe Chenard or Gamble gets a fourth instead of Ward or Gantar, but Fischer surely will be the first leg referee, Petrescu will be the second leg referee, and the ARs will likely be Clark, Belleau, Fletcher, and Briere.

8. DudsBro

DudsBro Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    On the contrary, one referee has been used twice every year. Gantar last year with a semi and final second legs. No way Fischer gets one leg of the Final. He has never had the middle on any match in the Canadian Championship since its inception in 2008; he's not about to start with the middle on a final. Petrescu will have one leg, but I'm not sold on it definitely being the second. It's a toss up for the other. Ward or Gamble based on who did better in their semi. The AR's sound about right, possibly with some juggling between the games. Definitely potential for Duliba to snag a spot though.

La Rikardo repped this.
  9. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    Thanks for the info. You definitely know Canadian assigning history much better than me. :p Why do you think that it will definitely be Ward or Gamble on the non-Petrescu leg rather than Chenard or Gantar?

10. DudsBro

DudsBro Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, partly memory, and partly Wikipedia :p

I almost threw in Chenard when I was writing that. She has been consistently doing CC matches and USL/NASL/USSF D-2/Whatever league and playoff matches. Not as many as the male referees, but she is consistently there. Could this be her year to do a final? Maybe.

As for the non-Petrescu leg... Last year the final was Petrescu/Gantar and I just don't see the CSA putting out the same referees for the finals two years in a row. Also, I think the same referee has not been used twice in a year in consecutive years.
    2011 - Gantar
    2010 - Gamble
    2009 -?? (missing data for one game but it might have been Chenard)
    2008 - Petrescu
    Gamble likely will be nominated for his FIFA badge this year, so a Final leg may be part of that. As for Ward, no particular reason for him to be honest, other than I don't see it being Gantar lol.

11. Thug Mentality

May 30, 2011
    excited to see Sorin finally get his first assignment in the middle tonight. deserves it.

excited also for les stalmach, didn't know he was on the rise to the league. he is a good guy, an older man, but very sound and experienced.

12. SA14mars

SA14mars Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I missed something. Who has the center for Dallas/Seattle? As per usual we will be at the game.

13. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. ColoradoRef

ColoradoRef Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I happened to have this on for five minutes and, unfortunately, the crew missed an obvious handling offense in the penalty area by NYRB in the 37th minute. I have to run out, so maybe someone else can upload the clip if it makes it on the mlssoccer.com. I don't think Stoica was screened, but Quisenberry really should have caught it.

The defender is facing the end line, the ball is up at chest-height, and he deliberately uses his right arm to play the ball away from the attacker and then turn 180 degrees to clear it. Quisenberry was looking straight at it, and I don't think Stoica was screened. He was at the top of the 18, he wasn't looking through anyone, and he was near the AR's side of the field, so presumably had a good angle to see the defender use his right arm. Just an unfortunate miss.

15. IARef96

IARef96 Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Clive, IA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorin cautioned Dax McCarthy for dissent after McCarthy chose to throw a tantrum fitting of a 10 year old. Good on Sorin.

16. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2012-05-09-ny-v-hou/highlights?videoID=185100

That is great and sad at the same time.

The great part is that a rookie referee was not intimidated one bit and cautioned the moment the dissent became public and persistent. No hesitation at all.

The sad part is that McCarthy really thinks he did nothing wrong and some of the responsibility for that fact lies at the feet of, unfortunately, a few veteran MLS referees.

SA14mars repped this.
  17. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    Not just at the feet of veteran MLS referees, but the former referee administrators of the MLS. It's a league that was trying to build and they think that means let the lunatics run the asylum.

18. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. SA14mars

SA14mars Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any thoughts on the push in the back by Seattle to bring down Brek Shea just shy of the box in stoppage of Dallas/Seattle. Looked like an easy yellow or possibly a red but no cards given.

20. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Agree -- the second leg, IMHO, moves it from yellow to red for me. (From the angle he had, our colleague may not have had a good look at the second leg coming through.)

21. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    Just a thought but has anyone seen a Red given in the MLS for a classic scissor tackle? I can't remember one for awhile.

22. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It might have been awhile, but most "scissor" tackles are debatable in a lot of people's eyes because the first leg usually gets the ball and then the second leg scythes the player down.

In this one, not only does he make no contact with the ball, but he doesn't even contact the player until the ball is 3-4 yards away. Then he swings through violently with the second leg. It really looks premeditated. So even if you argue that "most scissor tackles" get yellows in MLS, this one still seems to be in a class by itself.

23. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    I'm in no place to compare an contrast scissor tackles in the MLS for the last few years. It's merely an amateur observation that tackles like these have been given more of a pass than they would elsewhere. I could be wrong of course.

Scott was being beaten by Castillo all night, it was bound to happen that he went after him. I hope the referee notice that ahead of time.

24. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Just got back from the match and thought he did fine overall. Some observations:

1) Stoica gets in the way of Moffat's pass and it almost leads to a Red Bulls goal (we can all sympathize with this one):

http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2012-05-09-ny-v-hou/highlights?videoID=185119

2) Houston keeper catches the ball just as it goes out past the goal line, but the AR never signals for a goal kick. After several seconds go by and the keeper about to place the ball, Stoica blows his whistle with the AR giving a very quick goal kick signal.

3) I disagree with fellow posters who feel a veteran MLS ref would not have issued McCarty a caution for dissent. Once he became demonstrative with the wave right in front of his face, there was no other alternative. Most would have also cautioned him.

4) Suprisingly, 5 minutes of stoppage time was added. There was only one injury I recall in the second half and expected only 2-3 minutes. It seemed like it took Grajeda forever to put up the stoppage time amount after 90 minutes were up as the PA announcer then made the announcement with the crowd (the little that showed) in disbelief. Looking across the field, it seems Grajeda went into the walkway and popped back out with the old fashioned sign instead of the board.

When the final whistle was blown, Moffat approached Stoica as he could not believe that the 5 minutes were already up (I'd say about 3 minutes went by after the stoppage time announcement). Stoica shows him his watch and Moffat still isn't convinced (at the very end of the MLS highlights video):

http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2012-05-09-ny-v-hou/recap

25. SA14mars

SA14mars Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few weeks back we saw one in Dallas. Sent a Dallas player off with a serious injury and a yellow card to the opponent (can't recall the team). I talked to the ref afterward I'll have to dig out my notes to see what he said about that.