2012 MLS Referee Assignments and Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by La Rikardo, Jan 7, 2012.

1. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    Good to see Daniel getting up there. I don't recall if he's gotten any fourths yet, but I assume someone here will tell me.

2. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    New MLS referees this year so far:

4ths to Referee:
    Allen CHAPMAN

New ARs:
    Jonathan JOHNSON
    Jeremy HANSON

New 4ths:
    Jorge HERNANDEZ

3. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Chapman did very well, although I was half asleep by the time I watched that one.

4. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My attention wasn't fully on the entire time as I watched the replay, but I definitely felt he benefited from the timing of the first caution. It was early, needed and well-given, yet it wasn't reckless or violent in any way. So Chapman got to assert his authority on a card that nearly everyone would accept, without the temperature of the game rising at all.

Also felt his two other cards were very good and that, for a rookie referee, he seemed to have a decent rapport with the players.

Having a 5-3 game where the players seemed focused on playing probably helped a ton, but you've got to give any referee some credit for the second part of that statement. Overall, seemed like a good start for him.

5. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    Looking at the MLSSoccer.com preview for RSL-NE tomorrow. Had no idea Gantar had only eight games under his belt. I knew he was relatively new and inexperienced on the professional level, but eight? Thought it was at least twice that. I think Gamble had nine in his rookie year last year alone, and this is Gantar's third year doing MLS centers, I believe.

6. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, he's very green. I think he can be very good, but his inexperience has shown IMO.

7. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    Of note, three of this week's 12 matches are referees' first MLS centers of the year. (Vaughn, Chapman, Gantar)

Also, the KC-Montreal game tomorrow is certainly the least-experienced crew as a whole that we've seen in some time. Will be the 12th career game for referee Guzman, unsure about the experience of SAR Poeschel, and first-ever MLS-level games for JAR Johnson and 4th J. Hernandez.

8. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    I think he and Gamble are in a race to be the future #1 of Canada. They've both shown their inexperience in their few MLS games, but how each of them perform this year will be critical for CSA to determine who will be the heir to Petrescu's throne. Ward seems to be out of the running for some reason.

9. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're talking about MLS, then this is probably true to an extent. Although Gamble seems to have the inside track and I'm not sure how far ahead of Ward I would put Gantar. Gantar is just getting his first assignment now. Both Gantar and Ward were sat at the end of last year. Ward and Gantar are probably on or near even footing relative to MLS. In fact, Ward might have a slight leg up, given his overall history... I wouldn't put so much stock in the fact that Gantar sees a game this week and Ward does not.

Anyway, if you're talking about "#1 internationally," it's already Gantar. Petrescu isn't even an Elite CONCACAF Referee. And Gamble isn't even FIFA, yet. Gantar certainly could slip, as Terry Vaughn did after he got the 2007 WYC appointment. Plus Canada doesn't have a WC14 candidate so what matters, in that regard, is toward 2018. But there's no real race to speak of on the international stage at the moment.

10. soccerking1990

Aug 11, 2010
    Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've worked with Johnson and Hernandez. Both are very talented.

11. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    Watching the Chicago vs Chivas game and Fabio on the line isn't wearing his FIFA badge...is he still on the list?

12. CKRef22

CKRef22 Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Washington state
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Congrats to my boy Jeremy Hanson from WA getting his first MLS AR tomorrow!!! Columbus vs Portland.

13. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    No, he was removed from the list after last year, presumably because he would've left this year anyway and they wanted to make room for both Peter Manikowski and Frank Anderson to join the list. I'm sure there are other forum posters who know more about the circumstances of his removal from the list.

14. bluetooner

bluetooner Member

Nov 7, 2008
    Carteret NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

I don't care but Salazar again seemed to take the easy way out instead of the correct way early in the game today. I don't think that the game would have ended any different, but after yellow carding Rose early on, Rose had a simple decision YC that Salazar decided wasn't a YC, obviously only because it would have been the 2nd yellow. Terrible decision, and may have cost the union a point. (i'd say 3 points if we thought we could score).

15. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Anyone else saw this clip?

http://www.mlssoccer.com/video/2012/05/05/penalty-neagle-brought-down-collin

I don't know if it's a foul or a good tackle. Still can't tell if Collin got the ball or not from the replay. The troubling thing is why isn't this a red card for DOGSO? It looks like Guzman is trying to get Collin's attention and show him either yellow or red, but for whatever reason backs out of it. Either he wasn't sure that he got the foul decision right or the mob of KC players distracted him.

Some troubling decisions or non decisions today from MLS refs.

16. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Yep. Some VERY intense matches. Not sure the referees are quite able to match up to it. Jurisevic struggling big time with Portland-Columbus too.

17. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I'm guessing the reason is that the defender plays the ball away before the foul takes place. This, perhaps, raises an interesting question. With a reckless tackle, when should DOGSO be measured? When the player goes into the tackle, or when contact is made? Here, it appears that there was an OGSO when he went into the tackle, but the ball was played away before contact was made -- is that DOGSO or not?

18. IARef96

IARef96 Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Clive, IA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not even sure a foul occurred after the ball was touched away. The attacking player appears to trip over Collin's foot after Collin made a clean play on the ball.
    AllBall.jpg
    BallAway.jpg

Guzman was carrying his yellow in his breast pocket last night. Once he got into the PA, he pointed at Collin and reached for his back pocket. For some reason, he didn't issue it:
    BackPocket.jpg

Here's Guzman's position at the time of the tackle. I'll admit that it probably looked like a foul from that angle. Can't fault him for the call, but as a SKC fan, I hate that a penalty was given for what appears to have not been a foul. At least they didn't send him off.
    GuzmanPosition.jpg

And here's how a couple of Montreal bench warmers thought they should beg for a send off:
    MTLSubsOnField.jpg

19. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Geiger had Dallas v Colorado tonight. Two send offs to Dallas in the first half. While the players are ultimately responsible for their own actions, I think Geiger's refusal to call any fouls early in the match led to a raised temperature that led to the cards coming out. He seems to have totally embraced the "risk taking" directives in a way that leads to some problems. I thought the second caution to Hernandez was a bit harsh. You could see from the way he was running and trying to look around the screening players that he didn't have a clear view of the play. Looked like a regular foul and nothing more. And especially when he didn't call anything at all on the play immediately prior I think it was doubly harsh.

20. SA14mars

SA14mars Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at the game tonight. Yes, Geiger could have tightened things down more early on but Herandez was his own worst enemy tonight. He should have never mouthed off in the first place to get the yellow at 25' - he is not the captain anymore he has no business barking at the referee. Second, the tackle for the send off was right in front of me and was a good call. Now, a few calls early on to calm things down maybe none of that happens but players will be players and Herandez should never have attempted a tactical foul like that when he was sitting on a yellow already. I never saw the tackle by Perez but from the replay it looked like a straight red no question. Just a very unfortunate game for Dallas.

21. NC Soccer United

NC Soccer United BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Very well stated. Exactly my thoughts.

22. Sportsfan783

Sportsfan783 Member

FC Dallas
    Oct 8, 2010
    Midland, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I too was at the game. I disagree, only about the Perez challenge, but thats not the point. The point is consistency. How did Mullan walk out of that stadium with out even warning for dissent? Or something that hasn't been mentioned, why was Pickens never talked to?

Mullan visibly spent more time than Hernandez fervently shouting expletives at the referee and nothing came of it.

Does the content of the dissenting opinion hold more weight than just the act of dissent?

23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Hernandez's second yellow foul was orange myself, so even if the dissent yellow was weak I can't really feel bad for that red.

The second red two minutes later looks like it could have been yellow.

About the 3rd minute Jackson comes in for a ball Pickens is obviously grabbing in the Rapids box. Pickens gives Jackson a shove with his elbow in the neck region. If that happens anywhere else on the field I would have expected a foul and probably a card, but since it was the keeper doing it int he box I'm guessing the ref didn't want to award a PK for it. The fact that it went uncalled and without any sort of warning (that I could see on TV) seemed to set the tone for the game early, in a bad way.

24. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    Yes the content matters. Some referees have no problem with swearing...but if you suggest they cheat or that they're favoring a team you will get sent off. The thing is we don't know what was said, so we don't know if it was consistent or not so bringing up the idea of consistent is really pointless.

25. IARef96

IARef96 Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Clive, IA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. I think we all know Geiger wouldn't have cautioned the player for dissent if the words/actions weren't deserving. Geiger was trying to walk away (probably give the guy a free pass), but the idiot kept running his mouth. I hate that kind of jackass behavior from professionals - not only do they not care about the image it creates for young fans, they think they are exempt from societal norms because they play professionally. Pathetic. Good work outta Geiger.