2012 MLS Referee Assignments and Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by La Rikardo, Jan 7, 2012.

1. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    Thoughts on Bazakos' yellow to Atiba Harris in the Philadelphia-Vancouver match? As the commentator rightfully said, had Bazakos had a better look at it, it certainly could have (and should have, IMO) been red. Total cheap shot.

2. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    Sunday, April 1
    7:00 PM EDT (Galavision)
    Colorado vs Chicago - Andy MOSS / MassachusettsRef / OldReferee / La Rikardo

3. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From my seat it looked red, but I think he was caught looking up the pitch.

I thought he had a good first half and a iffy second.

4. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Saturday March 31
    11:00PM EDT (Balkanvision)
    LA vs. New England - Aek Chicago / Red Star 91 / Metro Fever / branko97

5. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Is there a referee that inspires less confidence and has less presence than Michael Kennedy?

6. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Hey, easy on my old buddy Kennedy.....LOL!!!!

7. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Chapin. Anno.

8. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    Me. :D

9. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    My thing was supposed to be a lame April Fools joke. This one doesn't work. :p

10. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    That is not Mark Geiger in the middle of the Portland-RSL game. 99% sure it's Jorge Gonzalez. Weird.

11. BlackBart

BlackBart Member

Mar 22, 2011
    I heard they were doing 3-whistle.

12. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    Four, actually. :D

13. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

Jun 16, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    very strange refereeing in the SJ/SEA game. this guy seems out of his element..

14. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okalaja...

15. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    This may end up in its own thread, but how does Rodney Wallace for Portland escape without a send off for his handling that led to the PK. Grabavoy would have been in all alone on goal but for the handling.

16. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    Two notable decisions recently in the two games running parallel in the Northwest.

Kadlecik gives a penalty for an off-the-ball foul. Lenhart goes down after what looks to be pretty minimal contact. Seattle didn't argue much, but given Lenhart's reputation, I'd have a hard time making that call.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2012-03-31-sea-v-sj/highlights?videoID=180851

Gonzalez gives a penalty for an obvious deliberate handling by Portland's Wallace. No complaints from Portland on that. RSL wants DOGSO, but Gonzalez opts for a tactical handling caution. I'm watching the game on local Salt Lake TV and the commentator here thought it was "definitely" red. I don't see this as DOGSO. Grabavoy's touch looks like it could be too strong, not sure how things will happen with the 'keeper, just too many variables to label this as an "obvious" GSO, IMO. However, it could spark a debate as to whether a send-off here should be written up as DOGSO-H or DOGSO-F. I'm still not sure how I feel about that debate, but as the Laws are written, I'd have to write this up as DOGSO-H, ATR be damned.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2012-03-31-por-v-rsl/highlights?videoID=180857

17. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Is there really any debate about the handling? How that is not a red card is a stunning decision. It's a red all day and every day and it's DOGSO-H. There is no debate. DOGSO was implemented specifically for instances like that.

Don't forget the attacker's touch would have been better if the ball wasn't handled on to him.

American referees simply do not understand DOGSO. If our best referees don't seem to think this incident is a red card than we need to reteach our referees and come up with new position papers. It's simply not working.

18. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Also, am I not wrong, but aren't snoods banned by the LOTG? Why was the Colombus player wearing one during the PK incident?

19. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

Jun 16, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    case and point..just gave a player a red (before retracting it) on his first yellow. just looks out of it tonight.

20. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    So, we're leaving out Edvin Juricevic? :D

21. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    Agree that it doesn't look good, but it looks like that was miscommunication between Kadlecik and Hernandez. Not all on Kadlecik.

22. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Who?:p

23. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Just out of curiosity...are YOU not an American referee?

I agree its DOGSO, whether its DOGSO-H or DOGSO-F is of really little importance to me. That being said, its DOGSO-F, at least according to my understanding of the ATR,,,but I might be wrong.

24. CKRef22

CKRef22 Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Washington state
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Kadlecik needs to pull his head out of his behind before he enters the pitch next time. That's not a penalty in a u11 game, let alone a professional game. What a joke.

25. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's one of the weirdest PKs you'll ever see. But I think it was correct. Gutsy from Kadlecik and managed well.

The showing of a red to Gordon was weird. Sure he looked over to confirm it, but why start going to the back pocket without having looking at your own records? This was is on Kadlecik, but I give him full credit for managing the retraction well--mistakes happen.