2012 MLS Magic and Tragic Numbers

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by aletheist, Sep 3, 2012.

1. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm a lifelong Celtic man who became a day 1 TFC man......somehow I don't blame him for anything!

2. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    So, a TFC season that began in hope of Winter's promise of Dutch Orange football, ends with a win by an Orange team from Texas......symmetry!

profiled repped this.
  3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Sure you're not a closet Sporting KC fan? Mo is our hero!

Among fans, this is known as "the moment" - our golden goal in the minigame at the end of Game 3 of the 2000 Western Conference Finals

http://www.ibiblio.org/footy/images/the_moment.mpg

[​IMG]

4. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Nah, while I don't blame him.....I also do not idolize him.

AndyMead repped this.
  5. aletheist

aletheist Member+

Nov 17, 2010
    Olathe, Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seattle's win over Chivas means that San Jose has clinched a playoff spot. Here are all of the updated numbers; corrections are always welcome.
    Code:
    EASTERN CONFERENCE
    Rank Team  Pts   GR   MP   MN   TN   SS
      1   SKC   50    7   71   11   31   25
      2   NYR   46    7   67   15   27   29
      3   HOU   45    6   63   16   23   30
      4   CHI   44    8   68   17   28   31
      5   CLB   42    7   63   19   23   33
      6   DCU   41    7   62   21   20   34
      7   MON   39    5   54   25   12   36
      8   NER   28    6   46   36    4   --
      9   PHL   26    9   53   38   11   --
     10   TOR   21    7   42   --   --   --
    WESTERN CONFERENCE
    Rank Team  Pts   GR   MP   MN   TN   SS
      1   SJE   53    7   74   **   **   19
      2   SEA   47    7   68    6   36   28
      3   RSL   46    5   61    7   29   29
      4   LAG   43    6   61   10   29   32
      5   VAN   37    6   55   16   23   38
      6   FCD   33    5   48   23   12   --
      7   COL   29    6   47   27   11   --
      8   CHV   28    8   52   26   16   --
      9   POR   27    7   48   27   12   --

6. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Poor Knave.

7. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    So I'm not doing my usual table thread, but I did finally dust off and update my old spreadsheet.

And I'm discussing this stuff on the DCU board -- with a DCU focus. I'll keep it up until that race is settled.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/...od-the-bad-and-the-playoff-situation.1974653/

Thought you folks might be interested, especially since the DCU, MTL and CMB race is really the only playoff race there is.

AndyMead repped this.
  8. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    How dare you imply that Colorado is burnt toast.

9. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Colorado ain't going to end the season with 42 or more points. And that's the minimum it's likely to take in the West. Could be worse: it'll probably take around 52 points in the East.

This new playoff systems was supposed to make things more exciting. But this year's playoff race is shaping up to be a complete dud.

10. Kappa74

Kappa74 Member+

Feb 2, 2010
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Knave, I really liked your rolling 5 game chart. Gives a nice visual how a team is trending. Here's hoping the SportsClubStats folks get on that.

11. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Agreed on all points. You don't make things more exciting by limiting competition.

Now, if Vancouver had to worry not just about Dallas, but also CLB, DCU and MON? And it would basically turn LA and RSL from a virtual lock for the playoffs at this point, to teams who still had to be looking over their shoulder and thinking about positioning, too.

Goofy as it was for the West teams to win the Eastern conference, the crossover system was way better. Just change the conference names to, say, Hunt and Logan, or something non-geographical, and you get the best of both worlds.

12. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Preach it, brother! The choir says AMEN!

13. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Unfortunately, no American leagues really work this way. Though, inside of conferences (inside the NBA East for example), it is basically single conference.

Honestly, MLS aiming to be "more American" generally blows up in their face.

14. bgix

bgix Bad Penny

Jun 29, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry, but I'm just not buying it.

If I remember my early season comments this season (and of many of you guys as well), I'm pretty sure that we all said the West was the dominant force in North American soccer, and that the East were all washed up (except for maybe SKC).

It seems pretty late in the game to stray from that party line.

15. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Speak for yourself only, please. I never claimed to be a part of that "party". Unfortunately, the thread in which the changes were discussed seems to have disappeared in the migration to the new forum software, but I've been against the changes since day 1.

16. jdub3379

jdub3379 Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if San Jose continues on to win the SS they would host the MLS Cup at Buck Shaw right?

17. Kappa74

Kappa74 Member+

Feb 2, 2010
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    This is correct up to the point where they get knocked out by Vancouver in the playoffs. Then, not so much. And there was some talk of holding it elsewhere if the above said scenario doesn't hold true.

18. jdub3379

jdub3379 Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't think that the playoffs had any bearing on it though. As I understood it the SS winner hosted the cup regardless if they were playing in it or not.

19. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. It is hosted by the MLS Cup finalist with the best regular season record/points/standing/etc.

athletics68, Jasonma and jdub3379 repped this.
  20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS needs to print this in large letters somewhere on their website...

21. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I can't wait for the scenario where MLS Cup is between two teams that were the same seed, finished the regular season tied on points, goals for, and goal differential, so that the host is determined by which team has the better disciplinary record for the season. And god forbid they tie on that, then it goes to a coin flip. I can imagine the outrage-filled posts already. It'll be beautiful.

I'm assuming the breakdown for that is:

1) Seeding (W2 would host E3, even if E3 has a higher point total)
    2) Point total (E2 hosts W2 if E2 has higher points)
    3) Regular season tie-breaker list

22. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The point was really that conferences will vary by strength so why not have a playoff system that does not punish some teams each year for being in a different conference. (The conferences are actually equal this year for the most part, however the east seems to have less draws in intra-conference matches).

23. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is determined by regular season record, not seeding, so if E1 and W3 are the MLS Cup finalists, but W3 had a better regular season record, then the MLS Cup would be hosted at W3.

24. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I would assume that the Cup Final hosting order is the same as the SS order, which is here:
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/standings/supporters-shield

Could make the last few games interesting for a team like Seattle, who might not have a chance to alter their seed, but might have a shot at passing SKC and increasing their chances of hosting the Final.

25. holiday

holiday Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    sj could host the final in another of its 'home venues.' stanford wouldn't be so bad, if available. oakland coliseum would be a bit of a bummer. can't remember if they also have played in the other baseball stadium, but i imagine that'd be pretty lousy too.