News: 2012 MLS All-Star Game @ PPL Park | July 25 @ 8:30PM

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Slaskwroclaw18, Jan 8, 2012.

1. alessandro2016

May 23, 2006

I know I'm in the minority, but I didn't think it was appropriate for TRE to sing the national anthem the way they did. It would have been okay if the timing had been the same, but TRE was a second or two ahead of her. To me, it came across as a classless move.

Speaking of tradition, what happened to 4LC? I know a goal was scored around 20:40, but I didn't see any scarves up at 20:10.

2. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scarves went up and we made it through 4LC 1 full time, and 1/2-way through the second one prior to the goal. With the odd mix of people in TRE last night, and how spread around everyone was, it obviously wasn't the best performance.

3. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think people were trying to stay with her, but the PA is almost impossible to hear in the River End and people were singing it pretty loud so they couldn't hear her.... I didn't realize she was still singing until a few seconds after we completed it.

4. SJUnion

SJUnion Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Union Land
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Id like to think that what happened with the national anthem was kinda part confusion part over enthusiasm. Its customary at PPL for the crowd to sing the anthem..so when we heard the music start up it just sorta happened. I wasnt even 100 percent sure they had somone singing it for us at first. And ya know, once somthing like that starts it kinda takes a life of its own and its hard to stop the momentum of a couple thousand people. So I think we should give the crowd the benefit of the doubt and not call it classless or insulting.

Doop and ofeydofey repped this.
  5. unholyunion

unholyunion Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean a group who sings the anthem at their own pace, who does it normally, will be off time with a singer singing it by herself, and doing her own thing?

You mean we don't elongate notes in songs for showboating our fabulous voices?

etsjay, tehgraarg, Doop and 2 others repped this.
  6. alessandro2016

May 23, 2006
    It makes sense that the odd mix would adversely affect the performance. I didn't even think about it until the 24th minute. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Fair enough. Perhaps the team should have more clearly stated that there would be a singer for the national anthem. But I suspect that more than a few people realized there was a singer and still continued to sing over top of her. To me, that is classless. I hope that I'm wrong and it was all an innocent mistake.

I will say that the rest of the night was phenomenal. I'm usually in 136 but I was in the front row of 107 last night (I had my 7 year old nephew with me and didn't think it would appropriate to have him in TRE). It was great to have a different perspective and to fully appreciate the spectacle of the SoB. It was loud, the signage was well done, and it was a lot of fun to watch.

7. frobisherthepenguin1

Jun 6, 2008
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Had a fun time last night. Jack Mac and Jimmy were sat in our section 125 like any other fan. Okugo swung by at half time to see Jack. I saw Williams chilling with his friends in the parking lot after the game, and Garfan was parked two cars over from mine in Lot B. We saw him twice before the game, and was able to wish him luck for Sunday after the game as he waited for his passengers. Sounds like he was chauffeuring his brother and his girlfriend.

8. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    why was there a block of empy seats in section 114, anyone in the RE noticed they were maybe the first 8 rows by the corner flag. A few ones on the top of 101 too. just looked weird.

9. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even better question: How was some A$$Hole wearing an Henry RED BULLS Jersey allowed in TRE?!?!?!?

10. EmeraldDawn

EmeraldDawn Member+

May 11, 2008
    Brick, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    May have been me. I didn't stand or anything, just politely clapped from my seat. I did stand for Lampard when he left the match.

My grandmother was from Fulham, and was a Chelsea supporter her whole life. I've been to Stamford Bridge, seen the trophy room, the whole thing. I was wearing my Union hat, jersey, scarf and shorts, but my CFC scarf was tucked inside my belt.

11. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    there were a lot of those there. And its easlily answered because it wasn't a Union game.

Did anyone buy an extra program? I meant to buy one when I left because going into the game I was carrying food and didn't get a chance. Or anyone think they will have them at the stadium store?

12. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes I know that...but still.............a RED BULLS Jersey in TRE?!?!?!?!?! Non-Union event or not.........that's still BS.....

13. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    There were Kansas City jerseys too or is it because of the philly illogical NY hate? serious question. They are not very good to be so worried about them or even have songs about them. that's giving them too much power. Same with the eagle fans, always on the Giants jockstraps but at least the Giants have won superbowls etc. Red Bull has done nothing but have a nice stadium. Why be so preoccupied with them?

14. unholyunion

unholyunion Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do people not remember the constant barrage of emails from the SoB's AND the Union saying "If you don't fill up the River End supporter's group section, tickets WILL BE SOLD TO OTHER SUPPORTER GROUPS"

So, logically that means... they shouldn't allow other SG's in the event, even after warning.

You can't bitch.

Doop and BuddhaWake repped this.
  15. UnionBulldog

UnionBulldog Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Ridley Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At lot of your highlights matched mine as well. The Fireworks show was pretty nice, I went out to smoke with a guy I work with. he asked if they did this all the time! I wish, but told him they only had fireworks for the stadium opener (thought they had them for the playoff game but my mind is cloudy on that one).

Williams was actually just 2 rows in front of me with his girlfriend, he was nice and accommodating to all the fans who came up to him, he signed my nephews Valdes jersey.

I am curious to everyone else interpretation on this, but I thought when Farfan was subbed in for Beckham that the majority of the cheers where for Farfan, not Beckham. When I got home and watched ESPN they stated that Beckham got a huge ovation and I couldn't help but laugh. (Please tell me I shouldn't have been laughing at myself).

As to the national anthem, I am very patriotic and never talk during the anthem but I couldn't help myself. The River End being not even close to in time with the Idol women was great and horrible at the same time. Great cause it was funny and a Union tradition, horrible because it made the poor girl mess up (but that is also funny too).

TRE was the best it has been all season, the Bridget chants, the You're not English, the normal chants, and the slightly modified chants came across well and I hope they added to the crowds/home viewers experience.

When the game was announced I knew a guy I worked with was big into soccer and that one of his sons was a Chelsea fan so I asked him if he wanted to get the extra 3 I could get as I was going to get my normal 3. He was amazed at the stadium and the atmosphere, though he did agree that the concourse was a little too narrow. Him and his sons had a great time and I could see him start going to some of our games (I might have just converted a EuroSnob!!).

16. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    I thought the same as you on the M. Farfan sub. I was the Union supporters cheering him not for Becks as ESPN implied, but its ESPN. I think the have to mention Beckham and Lebron on every broadcast or pay a fine.

17. ScottP from DE

Jun 22, 2012
    Dover, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had a great time at the All Star game. It's a memory that I'll truly never forget. Philadelphia did a great job hosting this event. The whole evening was an amazing experience. Thanks to all the Union players for autographs and pictures and for being so accommodating.

Doop and EmeraldDawn repped this.
  18. EmeraldDawn

EmeraldDawn Member+

May 11, 2008
    Brick, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had a great time yesterday. Sat in 108 instead of my usual 131. Everyone should check out the Stadium Club at least once.

Upon getting to my seat, I had nothing but Chelsea supporters around me. Very disappointed in that. In fact, during the "We want Hackworth!" chant, the old battle axe next to me had the nerve to say into her cell phone, "I can't hear you, some fat idiot is clapping in my ear." I said to her in the worst fake cockney accent I could manage, "Actually mum, my name's Kevin, if you want to make a comment on my weight, you're welcome to call me Big Kev like it says on the back of my shirt." Note that the face paint I wear to games Like in my avatar had long since melted off, so I wasn't that scary looking, heh.

When Wondo scored, I just stood there for about ten seconds and asked her, "Do you mind if I clap now?" I suppose because of those two comments, she was embarrassed enough to take the stick out of her ass and was actually quite cordial the rest of the game.

Moving on, I LOVED the effort The SoBs gave yesterday. I didn't hear a single YSA, thought the booing of Chelsea players was at a more than acceptable level, and the You're Not English Over There chant was great.

19. Ruud11

Ruud11 Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Agree. Also amazing how accomodating the Chelsea players were all week.
    Met some great folks who travelled from Holland, Dubai, Monaco and the Far East; just to see Chelsea play! They had the best time and loved the stadium and atmosphere.

20. UnionBulldog

UnionBulldog Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Ridley Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While you were in 108 I was only 2 sections down from 131. I ended up in 129. As to the the YSA I did hear it once, towards the end of the game and it was not the full hearty YSA that can happen. Seemed like it was just a section or two towards TRE (may not have even been from there for all I know). Was definitely happy with how they sounded and the chants that they used. I liked the you're not english and your captain is a racist ones the best.

On PST they had an article where they specifically commend the SoBs which I was happy to see. Not often you see a supporters group positively mentioned.
    http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/26/cleaning-out-the-notebook-on-mls-all-star-matters/

21. LINETRASH

LINETRASH Member+

Jul 19, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember when we drafted Mike Ritchie instead of Jagr......and some douche instead of Frank Thomas.....its just what we do

22. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of my favorite pics I took during the Fan Celebration.

Is this Chris Albright being Chris Albright, or what?

[​IMG]

23. unholyunion

unholyunion Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i don't know, what does chris albright do?

yea, i said it.

24. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not much now but he is a future assistant coach for the Philadelphia Union and possibly a future head coach in MLS.

25. unholyunion

unholyunion Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i shoulda put it in red....

damn straight answers to sarcastic jokes