[2012 Matchday 21] Union v Chicago Fire - August 12, 2012 p/d/p [R]

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Dills, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But to play devil's advocate, people are also pinning the 5-1 reserve match loss against L'Impact against him.

We've been down this road before with hyped-up defender propaganda from the FO (JDG, Lopez, Arrieta, even MOF to a degree), but Soumare has a track record in MLS that makes this feel different. I want to see how he plays for 2, 3, 4 games before I start dumping on the guy. Benefit of the doubt, and all that jazz.

2. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're playing devil's advocate to my devil's advocate? :D

Besides, you should start ripping Soumare now because once it goes mainstream it won't be cool anymore.

Ready for a Union win today. Wish this game was on ABG (Anything But Galavision).

3. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's on CSN. So you're covered.

4. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess people don't read the first post of these threads ...

Oh, and FCUK the FIRE.

5. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except I'm in Brooklyn. But thanks.

6. UnionizedPA

UnionizedPA Member

Aug 3, 2011
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Yea...I'm in ATL so if I find a CSN stream, I'll message it to you.

7. tehgraarg

tehgraarg Member

Feb 9, 2006
    West Berlin, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You say that like it is a good thing. I'm glad I'm going to the game so I don't have to listen to that torture.

BuddhaWake repped this.
  8. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would assume that an English feed will be streamed on http://www.thefirstrow.eu/. From what I have seen, all Galavision games have been streamed in English there.

9. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then you should be happy you're getting it at all. Galavision or otherwise.

MLS on TV outside of a market seems to be a luxury.

BuddhaWake repped this.
  10. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    "Tune in tonight as Mayor McCheese and myself call the action between the Chicago Flames and OUR PHILADELPHIA ONION. Coverage begins sometime between 6 pm and 9 pm. Tune in to see Freddy Adu, Mac ZacMath, and 9 other players."

- Bob Rigby

If it wasn't on Galavision, it would be available on both MLS Direct Kick on TV in HD (depending on his TV provider) and MLS Live online, and both in English. Since it's on Galavision, it will only be available to the rest of the country in Spanish. I can see why he wouldn't be happy, especially if he doesn't speak Spanish, and if Galavision isn't in HD.

11. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tonight's ref is Fotis Bazokos. To refresh your recollection, in his only other Union game as referee, he called a PK against Garfan in the 82nd minute which proved to be the difference in a 2-1 loss to Houston on June 30.

Also, he was the 4th official last week in Montreal and may have had a hand in the decision to give a red card to McInerney. Due to the delay in showing the card, it is likely that the officials conferred orally. While the ref points to McInerney initially, the replays that I have reviewed do not clearly indicate who may have assisted with the decision to show a red card rather than a yellow card.

12. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do people really have that much trouble watching a match with commentary in Spanish?

BuddhaWake repped this.
  13. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    If you didn't speak Swahili, would you have trouble watching a match involving your team in Swahili? Would you think that it would take away and distract from what you're trying to watch?

14. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not at all. I've watched matches in German, Italian and Spanish. I don't speak any of them. For years you would take what you could get on television. This is about watching. We're not talking about radio.

BuddhaWake repped this.
  15. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you stream the game on WIP? If so, you can watch Galavision and stream the Union English radio broadcast.

16. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Well, not everyone's like you. Some people want to watch a sport in their native language.

17. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do they manage at PPL without the play-by-play?

BuddhaWake repped this.
  18. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    So you're going to compare apples to oranges because you disagree with someone's decision to want to watch a soccer game on TV with English commentary?

19. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is basically what I meant...the blackout can be a pain in the ass. I don't have a problem watching in Spanish (just watched the Mexico-Brazil final that way yesterday).

It can be difficult to get a bar to turn on a non-HD, Spanish-language channel they may not have heard of before. Check out the matches listed at my local soccer bar: http://woodworkbk.com/?page=matches). They have the Galaxy v. Chivas USA match from ESPN2 listed but not the Union match.

Of course, it was just a throwaway line about my dislike of Galavision...not a big deal. Thanks to those who offered suggestions.

20. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you want to watch something, in person or on TV, I don't see how that's apples and oranges.

If people need English commentary to do so, then that's their loss. The televised soccer market is at the best it's ever been, but sometimes you still need to take what you can get.

BuddhaWake repped this.
  21. jess370

jess370 Member+

Feb 14, 2008
    collingswood
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I hear what you are saying but that was a penalty he went right through the back of the guy in the box. That would be a penalty in just about any league in the world.

22. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I have to agree on this. I've watched the Mexican league for years, and still don't speak any Spanish, but it doesn't detract from the experience of watching the games. Soccer is a language of its own, no need to know what anyone is talking about on the pbp.

BuddhaWake repped this.
  23. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that it was the correct call, although many on this board would disagree. While it "would be a penalty in just about any league in the world," I don't think that Hilario "Chico" Grajeda, for example, would have called it.

24. TonyClarkDOOP

TonyClarkDOOP Member+

Jun 18, 2010
    Oxford, United Kingdom
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Id take spanish where I can pick out a few phrases than listen to CSN. HOWEVER, nothing beats when San Jose call Okugo, "Danny Mwanga" our first season

25. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that's a penalty in just about any league in the world......then there would be PK's called on almost every corner kick/set piece played into the box. It was a tacky tack call, both players were going for the ball and Ching flopped ( seriously? He's got at least 20lbs on Garfan). But that was just another case of USSF Refs being USSF Refs.

Handsome Pete repped this.