[2012 Matchday 19] Union v Revolution - July 29, 2012 p/d/p [R]

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by celt1997, Jul 24, 2012.

1. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's far better off the bench and his performance both in this game and the AV friendly confirm it.

Someone upthread mentioned that he and Mac are the same player. I don't really think that is true. Mac, when at his best, is a poacher that makes intelligent runs and gets himself into good positions. He finds goals by providing the final touch. He can't do much else and his distribution is downright awful at times. Hoppenot actually has a wider array of tools than Mac, IMO. He's delivered some quality crosses - the one to Pajoy vs. Montreal comes to mind - and is better taking on defenders too. But, at this stage in his career at least, he gets lost as a starter and runs out of gas before 90 minutes.

2. UnionizedPA

UnionizedPA Member

Aug 3, 2011
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Trinidad and Tobago
    We lucked up today....but with the horrible calls against us all year, maybe it was bound to happen. The biggest difference was when we didn't close in on shooters from 20 yards out they shot...when they didn't close out on ours, we sat there and made a stupid pass.SHOOT THE DAMN BALL!

3. SmashtheVan

SmashtheVan Member+

Jan 13, 2009
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are people really turning on MacMath? This was his ONE bad game, EVER. He ALWAYS comes off his line early, but 99% of the time he wins. For some reason it just wasn't working for him this week. Considering how Sene dominated our midfield for the entire match, I'm willing to give him credit for a nice goal. Okugo and Valdes really stepped up on an off night for Zach to earn some points. We won, lets not complain for a few days, ok?

Doop, DaMunk and jess370 repped this.
  4. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    but last night wasn't that MacMath was off, he's been on a decline for the past 4-5 games. at least in my book. last night was the worse of the lot that's for sure.

5. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think MacMath is fine. The important thing is that the Union won. I don't think we can make a commitment to young players and essentially write off the season and not extend MacMath the same amount of leeway as the other young guys. I actually will give him a bit more slack than most given the experience it takes to be really good in that position and the fact mistakes there are far more obvious. I also feel that MacMath has far more potential at his position than our guys in the field.

6. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That goal by Sene was a shot that didn't have any spin and the ball moved two different ways. That was not a soft goal but a great strike. You will often see GK's on shots with that kind of movement wind up flat footed waving at air as it has them first moving one way then knuckles the other way. If it looked half-assed, it was because he had moved one way reading the shot initially then tried to go the other way. Hard to be explosive that way. It is like trying to save a deflected shot except no pace was taken off of Sene's strike.

7. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's interesting to read the Revs' board about this game. A lot of complaining about the ref and much of it is justified.

Every time that Union fans complain about calls not going our way, remember this game. Both teams should have been well aware that the stats clearly bear out that Jurisevic calls less fouls and penalties and hands out less cards than most other refs. (Prior to last night's game, Jurisevic had gone 15 games without calling a PK. Had Jorge Gonzelez been the ref, it would have been a very different game.) In that respect, Jurisevic was consistent.

While it is debatable, I would contend that there were three major blown calls: (1) Williams' hand ball; (2) PK foul was outside of the box; and (3) Revs' hand ball in the box in the 86th minute. We got two of those three calls which was the difference in the game.

Handsome Pete and Amscray repped this.
  8. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Like I said to the guy sitting next to me, "MLS referees: Consistent in their inconsistency."

9. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My seat was lined up with Sene on his goal. We should have had someone in his face, but it was a beautiful strike that faded to the right and simultaneously dropped like a curve ball. Fortunately, he could only take it from that exact distance last night because he tried a few more with the same trajectory that either missed or were saved.

10. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the scary part.................... Despite EVERYONE in the building knowing that Sene is LEFT footed, he was still able to get space to get shots off going to his LEFT!! Would it have killed someone to force him to go to his right?!?!?!

11. G-Ho Blue

G-Ho Blue Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Philadelphia
    It looked soft watching from the RE, but go check out the TV highlights if you haven't. That was a full-blast shot that started left, turned right and dropped like a stone. The commentators didn't blame MacMath at ALL.

And how did people like the Sunday night gametime? I loved it, but I can imagine that it messed up some people's schedules.

12. frobisherthepenguin1

Jun 6, 2008
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Another good "paid attendance" of 18,598 last night bringing the average up to 18,418 (for league games). A mere point of interest, but if we were to average 18,616 through the remaining home games, our season average will come out to "stadium full" 18,500. With New York and DC still to re-visit we're not going to be far off I don't think.

13. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Folks have mentioned this in previous games, but Gomez and Carroll do not play well together. I was glad to see Gomez get subbed out. Carroll may not be able to shoot at all, but he is superb at breaking up attacks and filling in the back line when a defender goes forward.

14. wscottl

wscottl Member

Jun 24, 2011
    SE PA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sucks. 7:26 made it worse.

15. D-Wall

D-Wall Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gomez is a slow, plodding midfielder. When Lahoud came into the game, it changed the complexion of the midfield. Lahoud is super quick to the ball and disruptive. Whereas Gomez looks like he is trying hard, but can't keep up with the play. Gomez is better off the bench.

16. UnionBulldog

UnionBulldog Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Ridley Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am still thinking Gomez' groin injury is really hampering him. While Lahoud came and played well I still do not want him starting. He is very aggressive defensively and his passing in the attacking zone is not very good. I was honestly hoping Soumare was going to get a chance to play where the sub would have been Soumare for Gomez and you move Okugo up to MF.

It was nice to get the full 3, the refs missed 3 PKs and called one that wasn't. Even watching the replay of when Hoppenot was tackled in the box I thought it was a penalty because of the second leg being high (but I am a homer so I could be biased). I don't know how they missed both handballs. I know Hoppenot earned the start but I would still like to see him as a 60 min sub as the defenders are already wearing down and just can't handle his speed then. Pajoy in my opinion, needs to start if only because he is our only forward over 6' and does well in both ends on corners (more so the defensive end). MacMath had a couple of gaffs, but the goal was a tricky one. While I would hope that he saves it, the first step cost him dearly as he had no read on the spin of the ball, leans to his right then tries to correct himself and just can't make the save. It was a well struck ball and probably gets by on other goalies as well.

I am worried that Valdes is going to get more and more attention internationally. I really know next to nothing about Colombia's national team but his play this year has to at least pique their interest. I know he has been capped for them before so he is already on their radar. Any time he misses from our team we will be missing one of if not the best player on the roster.

17. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed re: Valdes, but a CB tandem of Okugo-Soumare seems pretty damn impressive to me as well.

18. riot71

riot71 Member+

Dec 11, 2003
    New Jersey
    from their recent history it seems that once a player moves to MLS they are dead to the Colombian national team. But thats recent history who knows about the future.

19. UdiHrant

UdiHrant Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anyone notice that for a good chunk of the 2nd half Williams switched to left back? For a while I thought he and farfan were both in the same position. All I know is that when he came back to RB he made those penetrating runs and eventually provided the killer assist.

It's a funny thing that Adu, Magic Jack, and Pajoy get so much attention while Williams and M Farfan have quitely established themselves as the MVPs of the team.

20. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Valdes is without a question MVP of this team.

Handsome Pete, etsjay and aztec21bas repped this.
  21. roma258

roma258 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am really itching to see Okugo start as a DM. Nothing against Carrol, who is solid in his role, but Okugo would bring so much more to that position. He is so strong at linking the defense with the midfield, and would really provide the holding quality that the midfield is sorely missing right now.

22. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't that when they moved Gabe up into midfield and went with more of a 3-5-3?

23. schanbacher321

Jun 27, 2007
    3-4-3 you mean? And yes, yes is was. One step closer to Nowaks master plan of implementing a 0-10-0

BuddhaWake repped this.
  24. UnionBulldog

UnionBulldog Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Ridley Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To start the second the Union switched to a 3-4-3 and moved Williams to the left. Soon as they scored on the PK they went back to a 4-3-3. That was an interesting coaching decision as it exposed us a little in the defensive end but provided a little spark offensively. While Gabe may not be the best LB in the league, he is certainly serviceable and gives the U the ability to switch like that on the fly. With 4 mids it seemed to open up the field a little bit more and to me it could be something to use more often when we go down a goal. If Carroll and Gomez/Lahoud/Okugo are on the field we would have two dms to help cover for the missing defender. I thought Gabe did ok while playing mid, though at times him and Williams where not on the same page, probably because they usually aren't on the same side of the field together and don't know the tendencies of each other.

As to the attention part, its simple, those three put the ball in the net more and that is the easiest stat to look at. While I agree that Williams and Marfan have been very good and are very important to the team BuddhaWake had it right that Valdes is our MVP. I might put Carrol second as he just quietly goes out and disrupts the opposition game after game.

25. Doop

Doop Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Pajoy sub was supposed to be for Jack, but Antoine came over and told the coach "I'm completely gassed, I have nothing left." and the last second switch was made. Hopp can go 60 minutes from a fitness level, but not more.

mattylip repped this.