[2012 Matchday 19] Union v Revolution - July 29, 2012 p/d/p [R]

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by celt1997, Jul 24, 2012.

1. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Favorite club? a German one..........
    Apr 14, 2010
    in exile-Statute of Limitations yet to expire
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    eww... Massive headwound Harry........

10 more minutes of stoppage time coming up

2. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    yeah. and we were lucky to have gotten the penalty called when we did, but it worked out because one that was wasn't called.

3. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Apr 14, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good work 23!

4. fcobbina

fcobbina Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pajoy nutmeg!

5. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Apr 14, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    don't know how they won.....take the pts and go home. People at the game reading this tomorrow need to understand: I'm not trying to go bonkers on McMath, but it's getting to the point that even the Coach is starting to complain. If this year post-Piotr is nothing more than an exercise I'll refrain from further comment. If people are serious about making a run I'd expect a change come 8/4 in Montreal.

6. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    I don't know if it started at the USOC semi or before but McMatch has had some shots leaked through that any half decent goal tender would have stopped. today he looked shaky and was very lucky.

7. PhillyPhanatic

Jul 2, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sheanon and Valdez saved us defensively. Man, isn't this the 3rd time in 5 games we've scored in the 90th+ minute? Keep it up boys

8. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I like the points in the long term the performances have to be better. NOBODY better complain about the ref today, as the pen we got was an absolute gift (and the handballs cancel out). NE wasted sooo many chances and though they're a lot better than last year, they're not a good team.

Don't get me wrong, I loved getting the winner, but playing like that won't get us into the playoffs.

BuddhaWake repped this.
  9. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're definitely right but the truth is the Union needs to steal some points even when they don't play very well if we want to have any realistic chance at the playoffs. 3 points is 3 points.

It was also a better showing than some of the early-season Nowak debacles...hell we had almost 60% of the possession. I think the biggest issues for the current team are MacMath being somewhat unreliable at GK and a lack of precision or cutting edge in the final third.

10. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a boring game except for the last 10 minutes.

Ya know what? Our guys are simply worn out. One of you wonderful folks can plot minutes per season for each player. I bet we are starting to exceed it for many of those guys. Including Freddy.

11. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's nice to win a game we didn't deserve for once.

12. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    St. John of McInerney saves the day.

13. Ascalz

Ascalz BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 18, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The call we got that led to the penalty offset some of the other non-calls that we didn't get. So I'm not going to harp on the ref.

However, MacMath is starting to worry me. More and more he comes flying out of the box too quickly and too soon. Hell, if Kelyn Rowe didn't shank that shot New England is up 2-0 in the 28th minute and there is no goddamned way we come back from that. MacMath also came out way to goddamned quickly against Shalrie Joseph in the 79th minute and nearly gave up a goal that Joseph put too much air into. Early in the game he also nearly gave up a goal because he didn't call off Valdes and had the ball scramble away and was fortunate that New England couldn't pull the trigger on the shot. After we took the lead, New England launched an attack that was JUST BARELY stopped by Valdes on the line. Once again after MacMath was out of position and beat.

Against Montreal his lack of communication lead to the own goal because he didn't call off Daniel and Valdes and catch the ball himself.

Those kinds of mistakes CAN'T happen at this point, if the Union have any hope of making the playoffs they need MacMath to grab his balls and find his voice. He needs to know when to call off his defenders and make the play himself, he also needs to know when to come out of goal and when to stay back and trust his defenders to run the play down.

Doop, BuddhaWake and gta95 repped this.
  14. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no way I'd call you wrong on a great post but...

bkpsu, Doop, Amscray and 4 others repped this.
  15. OleySOB

OleySOB Member

Apr 13, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    3 points at home is 3 points. Big WIN. After the season we had so far, should we really complain?

-We need a veteran goalie to challenge MacMath
    - Lahoud looked better than Gomez, for the first time since he was acquired
    - Jack Mac can not pass for shit (his goal saved me from really going off on him)
    - That last 30 minutes of Garfan playing Mid in front of Williams proved, he needs to stay there, and we need a legit L back.
    - Carlos showed why he was an all-star, and Williams is back.
    - Hopp needs to go back to 60' min super sub.
    -Adu was Adu.....

BuddhaWake and TonyClarkDOOP repped this.
  16. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got home from the match....a few thoughts:

- We should not have won this match, period. If the revs could finish, we'd have lost by at least 2 goals (thank god Bengtson is at the Olympics)
    - Adventures in Goal Keeping with Zach MacMath............ easily his worst game as a Pro, and quite frankly could be the worst game by ANY Union Keeper.

-MacMath needs to take Okugo, Valdes, Gabe, and Sheanon out for a VERY NICE dinner, at an expensive Restaurant this week...............

- Williams had an excellent game. He made Tierney his Bitch in the second half...........

- Offense: Hop and Mac can't play together, they are the same player. They make the same runs. Hop is not a starter yet...............he makes a bigger impact as a super sub

- That said............ we need to SHOOT. THE.DAMN. BALL!!!!! Oh and have more off ball movement while we're at it.

- Midfield: was ok. Lahoud had possibly his best match. Gomez was decent, Farfan played decent as well. Carroll was his usual.

- Coaching: First half: Tactics didn't work at all. Second Half was better. I hope we work on beating 5 man MF's.......b/c we're going to see a steady diet of those the rest of the way. Hell, at times it looked like NE was playing 6 in the MF, with no striker. We play like this on Saturday, and Montreal will shred us.............

- The Ref: equally bad for both sides, and his AR's gave him no help at all.

Exciting game, we stole three points. I'll take it! Those 2K-3K "fans" who left at the 85' ............ missed a GREAT finish............

17. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    +100

18. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Apr 14, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm all over his ish tonight, but I still rate bad Union keeping perfomances on the Seitzian scale (@ Toronto.......shakes head) so I'll call hyperbole-but it's getting closer.........
    Great call on 9/29-thinking same thing as I watched it. Montreal @ Saputo is looking quite unappetizing at the moment. Looking for some SERIOUS personnel adjustments if they want to come out of Quebec with 3 more.

19. Ascalz

Ascalz BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 18, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, but I don't think that happens twice.

20. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Got very mad at the officiating today. The clear penalty in 1st half, the handball also (didn't see the one on us). Consistency is what the players need : but this guy was calling nothing in the first half then the opposite in 2nd. Jack Mac was making me pull my hair out, until the winner - that breakaway just before, the whole stadium willing him to shoot. Macmath.. well, we are used to keeping like this. I found myself asking why we can't have a solid experienced keeper like Reis.

21. cpurdom

cpurdom Member

Mar 3, 2008
    127 F
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Valdez saves another game.
    Hoppenot looked confused, especially on the early through ball that he decided not to touch. Any contact on that one and he should have scored.
    MacMath is developing a very peculiar style as a keeper.
    I like Freddy, but he did not have a good game, and wasn't beating anybody tonight, other than the PK.
    The reffing was just peculiar. Even handed I guess, but I couldn't figure out what his standard was.

22. etsjay

etsjay Member

Oct 31, 2011
    PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First half was butt ugly. I appreciate Zac's aggressiveness, but it's getting him in more trouble than it's helping these days.

Jac Mac's passing is indeed atrocious, but the header saves the day. Nice River End Plunge.

3 points, thank you very much. Now run quick before someone notices...

23. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JackMac was terrible today. If it wasn't for the goal, I think most BS users would be going off on him. It really saved his day.
    I would like to see Pajoy start against Montreal instead of JackMac.

24. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm surprised you didn't mention the goal, which was soft as hell. The ball did have a bizarre spin on it, but he went completely the wrong way and just sort of half-assed a one-handed save; maybe he thought it would be enough to tip it over the bar? It seems like he is regressing as a keeper, even from earlier in the year. Maybe the pressure of playing the entire season is weighing too heavily on him.

BuddhaWake repped this.
  25. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd rather see Pajoy start ahead of Hoppenot. Sorry, but at this point, Hoppenot has no business starting.

TonyClarkDOOP, BuddhaWake and UnionDues repped this.