2012 Islanders Match Thread

Discussion in 'Puerto Rico FC' started by jcm28, Apr 5, 2012.

1. jcm28

jcm28 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    Season finally starts on Saturday! Can't wait to see how we do. Plenty of Puerto Ricans on the team this season. Hope we beat the Rowdies:D

2. crazy al

crazy al Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for getting this thread started. Ready for the action to begin.

For those of us not on the island, will the Islanders still broadcast their home games from Bayamon Soccer Complex on their website like they did games from JRL last year?

3. jcm28

jcm28 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    I'm not 100% sure, but from what i've heard, yes, they will be broadcasted.

4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am pretty sure NASL will broadcast the games using ustream, that is how I watched most of the games last year, kind of nice to have them all in 1 website.

5. crazy al

crazy al Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. Really looking forward to kicking off another season. Hopefully, this one will bring more hardware and entertaining play.

6. jcm28

jcm28 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    We beat the Rowdies 1-0 in the season opener. So far so good, but this team still has A LOT to improve....

Random Thoughts about the game:
    - Edson Edward played quite well (at least in my opinion). Seems to be a good signing so far
    - Im VERY glad that Richardson is getting more minutes. He was amazing last season the few times he played off the bench. If he gets starter minutes and doesnt get injured then I think we will see quite the season from him.
    - The atmosphere at the BSC was nice. The change in atmosphere felt good. I can get used to it.
    - It was nice to see Whitbread try more offensive tactics than Clarke ever did. Bringing in 2 attacking players instead of 2 defenders from the bench was unheard of during the Clarke era.

7. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Were the extra seats on the camera side? Was it a sellout?(3000).

I could only see the permanent endzone seats on the stream and they were close to being full.

8. jcm28

jcm28 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    Yes, the extra seats were camera side. I think it was just about full, but I HIGHLY doubt that it really holds 3000 people.

9. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    SO attandance was 952 Islander fans, you say it was just about full that meant that the municipality officials lied about the 3,000 seats

10. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Must not have the extra seats set up yet as the back of the net grandstand is supposed to fit 1000 and was mostly full, yet apparently there were extra seats on the camera side? The camera side grandstands would have to be double the size of the back of the net grandstands to make it the 3000 total seats the municipal officials talked about.

11. crazy al

crazy al Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just got an email that said the Scorpions have sold nearly 10,000 tickets for their game against the Islanders. This game should provide a great environment for football. It should also give the newer Islanders a little taste of CFU Cup and Champions League away games.

I'll be at the San Antonio match. So, I'll share my perspective when I return. I am looking forward to seeing this year's version of the Islanders.

12. jcm28

jcm28 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    Islanders beat the Scorpions 4-0. Unfortunately the camera work needed plenty of help but it is understandable since with was SAS's first home game. Good start so far for the Islanders, but still way too much season left.

13. crazy al

crazy al Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back from San Antonio. What a great game! First, the atmosphere was fantastic. 13,000 plus. Parking was a nightmare, which is why the game was delayed 30 minutes. Once in the stadium, no problems. I was told that approximately 75,000 Puerto Ricans (or decendants) live in the SA area. There was a large contingent of supports for the Islanders. I estimated at least 1,000 maybe more, wearing Puerto Rico flags, national team jerseys, anything red, white and blue. They got there early and cheered for the team, even during warm up.

The Islanders looked really good. Their movement on and off the ball was very good. They were a step ahead of the Scorpions most of the night. Not a complete game, but awfully close. We needed this getting ready for CFU Cup.

SA were great hosts. It is one of my favorite cities. Great heritage, good food and close enough to drive. Ran into one of the Isladners' fans who lives in Houston. I met him at an Islanders' games in Austin three years ago. Like me, he is glad to have these games closer to home. Great start. Let's keep it up. Vamos Islanders.

14. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Can anyone confirm if the Islanders have the extra seats set up now for the game tomorrow against FC Edmonton?

Seemed by the attendance numbers from the first game(952) that the extra seats weren't there yet.

15. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    They are there, people tell me that the crowd seemed bigger than 1,000 let alone 950. It hard to tally attendance when games a free.

16. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Are they on the camera side? The goal end grandstand is supposed to hold 1000 and on the last stream from Bayamon they looked close to full.

17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know there is a list out there with MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL teams listed by the MSA city.

I do believe that the biggest city with out a big 4 pro team (and no MLS/NASL) team was Austin Texas.

18. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    yeah they are

19. jcm28

jcm28 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    Islanders beat the Railhawks 3-1. To be honest I thought the game would be much closer than it was. The Railhawks are a great team and now that they have Clarke I think that they will be even better. I doubt the Islanders' good start lasts too long, although I hope I am wrong :)

20. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PRI looking like they are for real early in the season.

21. crazy al

crazy al Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well last night's game was ugly. Great comeback in the second half but too many errant passes and too many mental errors. We looked tired. 4 games in 10 days will do that. Hopefully, the rest will put us back on track for May and the CFU Club Cup.

22. crazy al

crazy al Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have been quiet for a while. As we get ready for the most intense two weeks I have ever seen a pro team have to endure, any thoughts on how Whit and the Islanders manage 6 games in 13 days? Of course, the question is how do they do this and still hoist the CFU club trophy? I'll post my thoughts later.

23. crazy al

crazy al Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't everyone jump in a once. :)

Here are my thoughts about the upcoming marathon of games. We have two home games the 12th and 16th. Play those games as usual. The game against the Strikers is for first place. So, you know the Islanders will want to put their best foot forward for that one. And the game against Atlanta at Bayamon offers a good chance for three points. I think you then rest several key players for the Carolina game on the 19th. Maybe not even travel with some of them. Obviouly anyone who is carrying an injury that might be needed in the CFU Cup is left out of the line up. Let the young talent show their worth.

On the 21st, 23rd and 25th (I think), we play in Grand Caymon. The first two games decide our third game line up. If we take full points in the first two, we should have secured our advancing to the semi-finals. So, we rest players for the two CFU games next week. Of course, if we need a win in the third game, we play everyone who is available.

I know this will be a tiring stretch, but we must have some strength in our legs for the end of the month to qualify for the CONCACAF Champions League and raise the CFU Club Cup. This is the first real challenge to Whit and his team. I think they are up for it.

24. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Exactly also considering that a second place win gets us into the next round should give us a little more to work with.

25. jcm28

jcm28 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    We beat the Silverbacks 3-0 at home today. Still top of the table. Good start to the season, now to see what happens next week in the CFU Club Championship.