2012 In Season Rumors and Wild Speculation

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Boloni86, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Andriy Shevchenko?

Grant Wahl hints at possible DC move.

"D.C. United might be another intriguing possibility. Shevchenko regularly spends time in the D.C. area with his wife, Kristen Pazik, and their two sons: Jordan, 7, and Christian, 5. Shevchenko and Pazik were married in Bethesda, Md., where her extended family still lives. D.C. United may have a Designated Player slot opening soon, with DP Branko Boskovic's contract ending next month.
    Shevchenko doesn't sound like he'd be picky about U.S. cities, but he does know the nation's capital well. "We come and visit [D.C.] every year," he said. "Kristen has a big family living in Bethesda. I love golf, and we're members at Congressional.""

Personally I don't see it. Grant pulled that out of his ass. He doesn't really fit into the team ... Salihi already plays the Shevchenko role of a poacher. I don't doubt that Shevchenko would come to DC for the right money, but he will demand more than what he's worth.

2. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read this somewhere else in this very forum yesterday - and a year ago, and the year before that, and the year before that ........

3. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    There is probably an app that sends out that post for someone every European summer transfer window.

4. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Yeah, but did you know that his wife is from Bethesda and he likes golf?

5. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did not know he liked golf. This diminishes my opinion of him greatly.

6. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well now that there's a better thread for it;

Shevchenko may want to play in MLS and his wife's family is in Bethesda, which he visits every year. If we have a new investor could he bankroll Sheva to come in and fill a Josh-Wolff-like roll...super sub but more of a coach?

It would be nice to have more coaching expertise, because the interview of Boskovic points out, I think, the direction that some team in the league is going to have to take for MLS to advance another step...namely to have a team that can impose it's play on others...for example to definitively close out that 2-0 game BB talks about.

And this DCU team is a team that is in a better position than most to accomplish that. Why? Because of the mix of veterans, especially veterans with high soccer IQ's and/or the background to bring a more European style to the game (Wolff, Branko, DeRo, Salihi, Jakovic, Dudar) and young players with high technical ability and high soccer IQ's (Najar, Kitchen, DeLeon and I think probably Pontius and Korb and Cruz will learn).

And how nice would it be to have Jaime and Shevchenko working with Academy players...

7. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    The latest rumor has him linked with Montreal, but then again Montreal seems to be linked to every star player in Europe that's over 35.

8. West Coast Futbol

May 7, 2008
    The Beach
    Well for wild speculation; Ok not even speculation, outright fantasy; how about Didier Drogba? He is deeply involved in charity work (I mean really involved) with his family and active in France and Ivory Coast. But hey when dreaming, why not? His Champions league form was wonderful to watch and he is only 34!

9. Diceson

Diceson Member

Dec 21, 1999
    Oguchi Onyewu

Also, apparently someone with the team talked with Nowak - probably just a "keep the chin up" thing. But, PN is a winner and a valuable resource. . . .

10. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Vancouver is rumored to be shopping Camilo. I think that guy would be a perfect 4th striker in DC especially as Wolff winds his career down.

Problem is that I think Vancouver is interested in allocation money and/or other considerations. Their whole point is to open up cap space so a straight up player swap is unlikely.

Assuming we even had these considerations to trade we would have to fit his $230,000 salary under our cap.

Obviously everything hinges on the Boskovic issue. If Bosko leaves we would definitely have the cap space. Even if he stays we would probably open up a little cap space with his smaller contract, but probably not enough to fit a $200,000 player.

Either way I hope we get a new piece of the puzzle this summer, even if it's a small piece that comes off the bench. Our competitors in the East are shopping for DPs like Gio Dos Santos and Stephen Ireland, so I worry about being left behind.

11. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Camilo is really more of a #10 distributor than a scorer, although he's scored some great goals too. He's good enough to be a league MVP and I have been continually confused by his lack of minutes in Vancouver. Leaving aside chemistry and salary, I would trade Boskovic for Camilo straight up. Of course, the problem is you can't leave aside chemistry or salary. I would certainly give Vancouver a listen and if Tom Soehn is still in charge over there, maybe we can trade Camilo for Simms or something.

You know we're in first place, right:) ?

12. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    If Vancouver is looking to unload Camilo, they'd probably have to eat up some of the cap space anyway. Trade some allocation their way, and it'd be an easy move.

That said, I'm not sure Camilo is my first choice for an offensive trade. If he can back up DeRo and allow us to switch things up when needed (say Pontius to LM, DeRo to F/CF on a full-time basis), I wouldn't be upset. My only concern would be how Boskovic (assuming he's re-signed) would deal with us bringing in his starting competition. However, a rotation of DeRo, Boskovic, and Camilo in the middle would be redunkulous.

13. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    I haven't seen much of him, but I would take him as quality depth if the $$$ is right.

14. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    When does MLS' summer transfer window open and close?

15. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you have this written out last season?

16. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did I miss where Ethan White was loaned to the Kickers?

seemed to belong here more than the reserve league thread, though in neither really, maybe if "news" was in the title too :)

17. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
  18. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    Vancouver just signed Barry Robson to a DP contract. Camilo rumors might be true.

19. StagsUnited72

StagsUnited72 Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Silver Spring, MD
    The loan is over. It was just for the Kickers Friday and Saturday match. He's back with DCU this week. I suspect they will continue to loan his out like we have done with Dykstra since the reserve league has been a mess this season.

20. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Supremely unimpressed - And posters here complain about the signings of our DPs

21. West Coast Futbol

May 7, 2008
    The Beach
    DCUSA repped this.
  22. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Two trialists, Gienir Garcia (Montreal reject) and Xavier Tomas a 6'4 French defender. Tomas has been a starter since 2009. That season he played for Tours in French 2nd division. After that he moved to Olympiakos Volos in the Greek top division where he also played 3 Europa league qualifying games. And last season he played for Levadiakos in the Greek top league. All his transfers so far have been free transfers.

23. X@V!3R

X@V!3R Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Land of the Lost
  24. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But we already have a 6'4" defender.

25. Shammypantaloons

Apr 20, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Goff reporting a potential "big announcement" underway. (probably not a big announcement).

Get excited (or don't).