2012 IIHF World Championship

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey' started by Real Corona, Apr 4, 2012.

1. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I think the word you're looking for is 'gullible'. But anyway, can we keep this roughly on topic from here on in?

Canada went to sleep early but ended up beating the Finns 5-3 to stay top of their group. Up next the Kazakhs.

2. adammac19

adammac19 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2006
    Sydney Mines
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Canada doing a good enough job trying to lock up top in the group so they get a more favorable QF draw when the games start to matter. No matter how many times I watch Tavaras, the more I am impressed with this kid. I know some were expecting Crosby-esq numbers when he came out of the OHL but each year he continues to improve to a point I believe he is going to be an important piece to the 2014 Sochi team

3. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tavares came with a major flaw when he entered the league (unlike Crosby). His skating was downright horrid, almost embarrassing. He was like watching a lacrosse player try to play hockey. However he showed probably the most important attribute for an elite player, the drive to get better. He's really improved that aspect of his game. He's not exactly Stamkos (who for me is the best skating forward out there), but his skating is no longer a major flaw. Compound that early flaw with the fact that Tavares is almost the Islanders sole scoring threat (Crosby has Malkin) and defense focus entirely on him. HIs production this year was especially impressive.

Anyway, the likely quarterfinal matchups are going to be a rematch of Finland-USA, which remains to be seen how the Finns respond to getting absolutely annihilated today by the US (small sticks, bad skating and all). Canada will likely play Slovakia unless France pulls off a minor miracle. France would need to beat both Belarus and Slovakia and in the process overturn an 18 goal differential.

Slovakia could sneak up into the 3rd place spot and the US could even drop to 4th place and face Canada who are almost assured 1st place. The likelihood however is the US gets at least a point out of Switzerland and Finland beats Kazakhstan.

The US has shown it can beat any team in the tournament when it is motivated and respects the opponent. They skated Canada out of the building in the first period of their game and eventually won. The Finland game was pure and utter domination from beginning to end. They have also shown however, that in games where they aren't quite up for the opponent they get complacent and really make things hard on themselves, as they did against Kazakhstan and Slovakia. No doubt the win over Canada lead to the let down going into those two games and those results likely spark the Finnish massacre. The danger here is how they approach the Swiss game (the Swiss are out) and how they come into the quarterfinal game.

4. adammac19

Jan 31, 2006
    Sydney Mines
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Canada gets the job done with a 5-1 win over a the Belorussians and claim first in the group with means likely a game vs Slovakia in the QF.

5. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not so sure. A lot of scenarios still where Canada could play all three teams.

6. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Us regulation win = Slovakia - Canada

USA OT win : Finland - Canada

Swiss win : USA - Canada.

7. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I was just assuming they would cross-over for the quarterfinals and play teams in the other group. Who dreamed-up this idea?

8. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The logistical reason is because there are two separate host cities, Stockholm and Helsinki and the teams join up in the semis in Helsinki. But yes, kind of stupid to have rematches in such a short tournament.

9. adammac19

Jan 31, 2006
    Sydney Mines
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    QF are set

Canada v Slovakia
    Sweden v Czech Rep

Russia v Norway
    Finland vs USA

10. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canada-Sweden

Russia-USA

Canada-Russia

Russia

my picks

11. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Canada v Slovakia
    Sweden v Czech Rep

Russia v Norway
    Finland vs USA

Canada vs Sweden
    Russia vs USA

Russia vs Sweden

Russia wins it again
    USA wins bronze medal

12. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A US bronze would be the US's forth medal at the World's since 1961, all bronze. It would sadly, represent a huge achievement.

The 1960 Olympics counted as the World Championships for that year, so not counting that one, the last gold medal for the US at the World's was 1933. To keep that in historical perspective is shocking. The tournament was hosted in Czechoslovakia, at the time one of the most democratic and free countries in Europe. To keep it in sporting perspective is shocking. Up until the 1950s the tournament was dominated by Canada. Until 1947 when the Czechoslovaks won Canada had only lost one gold medal, that 1933 game to the US. Great Britain, a dominate power at the time won several medals including gold, but this was essentially Canada playing against Canada, as nearly all their players were Canadian. The US game broke a miserable stretch for the team, they had lost 4 of the first 6 finals to Canada and would lose 4 more finals before finally(!) losing to the Soviets in 1956. Indeed the US was a the dominate owner of the Silver medal before the 1960 Olympics, winning 9 of them.

Many have tried to call the 1960 Olympics the forgotten miracle as the US amateurs beat the more heavily favored Soviets, much like in 1980. However there is a reason why this is mostly forgotten. A big part was political, the US was not in the vulnerable position in 1960 like it was in 1980. But a bigger reason was that the Soviets had only won two gold medals at the Worlds prior to 1960. Between 1960 and 1980 the Soviets only didn't win 3 gold medals. Indeed it's questionable considering the US's dominance of the worlds 2nd place behind Canada, whether they really were the underdogs, at home, against the Soviets.

el-choul and crazypete13 repped this.
  13. Fox Terrier

Fox Terrier Red Card

Dec 3, 2011
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I know everybody who lives on this bored is a sarcastic wizeass so I know I'm dealing with 10 year olds. And because of that Ih'll rite dis reel slow sos yalls kin reed dit...
    Russia has always been is now & will always be The greatest hockey nation. Canada invented the game but lost control of it due to overwhelming violence. Violence is still out of control altho NHL are trying in their pathetic way to minimize it. Junior players are immersed in violence so they have to "unlearn" it/ maybe yous sarcastic wizeasses need to unlearn it (hint) Why is that? Why is #17 on the Devils: Ilya Kovalchuk the NHLs best player right now? Because he did not learn in the canadian jr. system! They stifle talent by excessive violence. I don't have to watch Russian hockey to know its better. Its as constant as anything in the world can be. The same as Brazilian soccer. Somebody had to set the bar. With all the thousands of rinks in Canada & USA - the production of talented players is so low. USA & Canada are on par with Czech which has a tiny population. Somebody is wasting alot of talent on stupidity.
    For yous wizeasses a kwiz: How can a man land on the moon, get out, walk around & come back without doing a single unmanned landing? Yes Nasa got it right without ever practicing. Just goes to show that N. American players never practice because they don't need to. its a waste of time. Just slap a flag & leaf on em & deyz good ta go.

14. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wiseass question. How many best on best titles (Canada Cup/world cup/olympics with pros) does the "greatest hockey nation in the world" have?

Kovalchuk is the best player in the NHL right now? You mean left in the playoffs?

15. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The answer of course is......

Soviets
    Canada cups: 1-first 1-second

Canadians: 4-first 1-second

USA- 1-second

World cup

Canada :1-first 1-second
    USA: 1- first
    Russia: :(

Olympics 1998-

Canada: 2 golds
    USA: 2 silvers
    Russia: 1 silver

Olympics all time

Canadian amateurs: 9 gold 5 silver
    Soviet pros: 7 gold 1 silver
    USA amateurs: 3 golds 8 silver

World championships

Canada: 24 gold 13 silver
    Russia/Soviets: 25 gold 9 silver

Russians sticks seem considerably shorter than Canadian and even American sticks.

16. Fox Terrier

Fox Terrier Red Card

Dec 3, 2011
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    You can add up your medals all you want. Medals are not hockey greatness. The greatness lies in the style. Brazil doesnt always win. But nobody would deny they are the greatest.
    Yes in the NHL now - playing now. Kovalchuk is Conn Smythe winner hands down. But I don't expect the NHL to be capable of acknowledging it. In the 1960's the NHL coaches frowned upon the drop pass. They refused to allow players to use it. They had to be burnt time & time again by Soviets to change that neanderthal thinking. Speaking of stats - perhaps you like to add up the wins/losses of USSR v NHL. They played alot of games until NHL backed out from too many beatings. Everything you see in NHL - power play strategy, etc. is regurgitated Soviet style. Russians do it better & faster.

Best players in the NHL:
    1. Malkin
    2. Kovalchuk
    3. Ovechkin

4. is not even close.

17. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brazil have won the most World Cups of any nation. Any comparison between the Russians and Brazilians fails to make sense.

18. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I see what you did there :rolleyes:

I can play that game too.

Best goaltenders in the league:

1. Ilya Bryzgalov
    3. Nikolai Khabibulin
    2. Evgeny Nabakov

4. is not even close.

oh, and maybe we wouldn't be wiseasses if you didn't post such silliness.

19. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great games going on today, every brought out their big sticks today!

Canada came out flat against the Slovaks in the first period and were well worth the 2-0 deficit they fell into.

In the second period they came out like they wanted it and grabbed the lead back.

But then with about 6 minutes left in the third they really ramped down their game. They were sitting back and waiting for the game to end. Slovakia tied it. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins took a bad penalty and then Ryan Getzlaf took a really bad 5 minute major for kneeing Juraj Mikus (not the same player who is with the Marlies btw). Slovakia scored off the faceoff and with the penalty still running, the game was essentially over.

Canada's problem this tournament was an incredibly immobile and unskilled defense. They brought a bunch of slow plodders like Luke Schenn, Methot, Dion Phanuef (sorry Leaf fans), Kyle Quincey and an undrafted player in Ryan Murray. :confused: That combined with only average goldtending from Cam Ward undid the work of a very talented forward group.

Russia currently tied with Norway heading into the third 2-2.

Exciting stuff today.

crazypete13 repped this.
  20. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    I did not see Canada bowing out this early. Very, very surprising.

21. adammac19

Jan 31, 2006
    Sydney Mines
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I thought Dion had a decent showing but the back line was pretty poor, big blow losing Subban before the competition because I thought he would be a force with his great skating on the big ice. Lucky for Canada everyone on the blue line bar Keith won't really be in consideration for Sochi.

Goaltending again the issue, thought Ward would of been great considering his experience but his NHL form seem to follow him with the national team and one thing Canada lacks is good depth between the pipes.

crazypete13 repped this.
  22. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

23. adammac19

Jan 31, 2006
    Sydney Mines
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Semi Finals

Czech Rep v Slovaks (not many thought this would happen)
    Russia v Finland

24. adammac19

Jan 31, 2006
    Sydney Mines
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Slovakia vs Russia final, I guess the Slovaks showing that 4th in Vancouver was no fluke

25. Fox Terrier

Fox Terrier Red Card

Dec 3, 2011
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    The reason Canada & USA don't succeed on Big Ice is due to the fact of positioning. The small NHL rinks does your positioning for you. In addition there is twice as much skating and as somebody said about Canada having plodding defensemen... NHL players are overweight when it comes to big ice. The weight is necessary on NHL rinks due to the constant banging but you need to travel light on big ice. Canada & USA players are not used to the amount of skating. NHL really needs to increase the size at least 10 feet in width and maybe another 10 lengthwise. As far as the comparison with Brazil, Russia success in hockey is due to utilizing soccer strategy & Canada & USA do not know soccer strategy & this places them at a disadvantage. Of course wiseasses are always going to be wiseasses but I hope some of you noticed how long the sticks were. The longer stick you use the better you posture will be instead of leaning over your stick, you have your head up & with all the room to maneuver - it plays an important part - more than you might think. I did not like the NBC coverage of the games. They devalued the IIHF WC & I am sure its because Russia looked unbeatable. NBC sucks. They made sure they had time for their propaganda film on the 72 series. With no cold war its surely no reason except bias to not show the games. Ok wiseasses go to it. :cool: