2012 IIHF World Championship

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey' started by Real Corona, Apr 4, 2012.

1. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    I left my computer on after I fell asleep to the Kings game last night, and I woke up this morning to find the US playing against France at 5 am.

Every work day should start out so nice.

2. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not much to take from the France game as far as the US is concerned. France wilted as the game went on and frankly was overmatched, which lead to multiple penalties for France and multiple power plays for the US.

3. adammac19

adammac19 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2006
    Sydney Mines
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Canada got a 3-2 win, decent game though I thought Ward looked a little off which isn't what you want to see so early. Also looks like Burrows could be out after getting his bell rung.

Stiffer test tomorrow with the Americans, should be fun to watch.

4. Chacal

Chacal Member

Oct 11, 2010
    California
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't wait to watch this game as it wasn't shown live here in the US if I'm not mistaken.

Mr. Captain, Jack Johnson, is the hero for the US. Looking at the stats he played almost 26 minutes, while no one else on the US even got to 20. That's awesome.

5. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USA :poop: ed them selves today against Slovakia.

6. Fox Terrier

Fox Terrier Red Card

Dec 3, 2011
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Does anybody know if NHL Network or NBCSN will be showing games? If so what is the sked?

7. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NBC Sports will have the American games and knockout rounds.

8. Fox Terrier

Fox Terrier Red Card

Dec 3, 2011
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    USA will not make the medal round. The winner will be Sweden & Finland. Russia for 3rd.

9. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They will broadcast all the knockout games regardless of who is in them. As for the rest of troll, I really don't care.

10. Fox Terrier

Fox Terrier Red Card

Dec 3, 2011
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    The main reason Canada & USA do not compete well in IIHF WC is because they are not used to the amount of skating. There is twice as much skating required. In addition, Canada & USA have difficulty positioning themselves because they are used to letting the small rink do all their positioning for them. If you play on small rinks as a child & as an adult you don't develop your skating as much as a player who plays on big ice. On a big rink you need a longer stick because it will give you the room to maneuver. If you use a longer stick, it allows your hips to open up. When I played I found out, using a longer stick was essential. I used to add 3-4 inches to sticks using carpentry. Canada & USA players sticks are too short & there is not enough time to make the adjustment. NHL needs to increase the size of rinks so we have one world game.

crazypete13 repped this.
  11. Fox Terrier

Fox Terrier Red Card

Dec 3, 2011
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I am watching Belarus - USA & the rink is gigantic. Jack Johnson nailed a guy in the head & got 12 min. It was totally uncalled for. NHL should ban & fine NHL players in IIHF WC who do nasty fouls. They are NHL employees. Johnson "Acted" like he did nothing. USA players are making tons of positional mistakes. They got caught on a power play in which the USA player Fowler aired out & got his pocket picked. Was Fowler ever coached in hockey? Didn't look like it. USA players tend to stand around aired out. Belarus are all over USA. Out skating them by a wide margin. If you look Belarus players use long power skating strides with long sticks. Saves on energy One of the USA players tripped the Belarus goalie & got away with it.

12. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your trolling attempts are so hilarious. The long stick thing is my favorite part. The US gets outskated and dominated by Belarus but still out shoots them 36-26 and dominates the zone time. Belarus was able to score one even strength goal the entire game.

Guess their sticks weren't long enough.

BocaFan, Oveki8 and crazypete13 repped this.
  13. Oveki8

Oveki8 Member+

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    I guess they forgot why they were skating, this is after Ice Hockey and not Disney-on-Ice...

14. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They weren't outskated that's the point.

The biggest strength of this and just about every US team is it's skating ability. If hockey was a skating competition the US would be multi gold medalist and favorite every year.

The biggest issue for the US teams in these tournaments is skill, or lack there of.

15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yikes! USA drops a point to Borat this evening! Fox T. must be in seventh heaven.

Borat's first point of the tournament.

16. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kazakhstan had eight foot long sticks.

crazypete13 repped this.
  17. Oveki8

Oveki8 Member+

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    I was being sarcastic to the other poster who stated that the USA was "outskated". I meant that the Belarussian did not know why they were skating, i.e. skating in circles perhaps, and this is Ice Hockey where the object of the game is to score, and not look good while skating which is the object of Disney-on-Ice.

18. Fox Terrier

Fox Terrier Red Card

Dec 3, 2011
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    You don't want to be sarcastic all the time. Then you become a wizass. USA had a 10 min. spell of domination in the 3rd period which Belarus could not contend with. However it was close with USA looking like losers until a fluke goal off a skate. Its amazing how omebody who played hockey for 30 years has to put up with a sarcastic wisass who never got closer to the ice than the cubes in his drink.

19. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes the US looked like losers pinning the Belarusians in their zone for most of the game and pelting the net with shots. Our goals were lucky, the Belarusians the result of their long sticks, superiorly inferior skating ability and beauty. The US has lucked into being the highest scoring team in the tournament, all without being able to skate and with short sticks.

20. Fox Terrier

Fox Terrier Red Card

Dec 3, 2011
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Being sarcastic again? What do you do live on this board making wisass remarks? Is that your job? You do it so well & so often. I didnt hear you say that you played hockey. You didnt play right?

21. Fox Terrier

Fox Terrier Red Card

Dec 3, 2011
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    You can tell you got a big soccer moderator when they tell you a man walked on the moon. If the big soccer moderator is really sarcastic then he must believe that. right?

22. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did the man on the moon have a big stick?

23. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I play with the longest stick on the ice.

24. Oveki8

Oveki8 Member+

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    I was the one that was sarcastic and that was in one post only, and it was directed at your post which was a continuation of your earlier posts that stated basically the same thing.

Yes, I played Ice Hockey growing up and into my adulthood, so I played for about 30 years.

I did not see the game, but when a team beats another team 5-2...

25. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Anyway, Russia wins the big game in the other group behind a Malkin hat-trick! So that group looks pretty much sorted out: 1) Russia, 2) Sweden, 3) Czech, 4) Norway. So big reward for finishing first in Group H.

crazypete13 repped this.