2012 Hot seat or getting warm seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Cliveworshipper, Apr 11, 2012.

1. realitycheck

realitycheck Member

Jul 10, 2007
  2. SuperSoccer1978

Barcelona
    Nov 24, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Firstly we will have to use the word 'coach' VERY loosely here because clearly she isn't one. I think were see Conti spring up at VCU replacing Carr. As for Davidson no clue.

3. catdaddy

catdaddy New Member

Sep 8, 2011
    I will start by saying I have no inside knowledge of Nugent other than watching him on the sidelines at a few UNCG games last year. The guy screams at everyone. The girls, the refs, etc. Heck I saw him turn around and scream up at the press box one time because he didn't like how the timekeeper was keeping the clock. If this is any indication maybe the assist coaches left for this reason. I know I would not want my daughter playing for him.

4. Why Not!

Why Not! Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    He was a reach for a hire, and it doesn't seem he can handle the pressure....Eddie R. was very successful because he had a solid staff under him...Nugent, won't hire anyone with more experience than himself to fill the assistant roles for fear he'll be found out!!! The shame of the whole situation is that the players are stuck in the middle....they deserve better.

5. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do you say this? Because she is young and just starting her career? That's a bit rude.

6. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Why so critical? Is he not good on tactics and training or just not handling players well?? No one likes all the loundness and stomping around from coaches but that doesn't always mean their bad coaches.

7. hilltopsoccer

hilltopsoccer Member

Aug 24, 2007
    TX
    You have to get your start somewhere. UNCG is no easy task after the coaching change. Hearing some of th eother names that interviewed.......you have to wonder "would someone else have had a better chance?" Dont know but UNCG will be very young this season. The schedule is Brutal. Doesnt he have two assistant positions he has to fill? Lets see who else he hires?

8. TXstar12

TXstar12 Member

Dec 16, 2009
    DFW
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I was told quit a few Houston players are asking for releases? What happened to Eric? What is he going to do?

9. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  10. Why Not!

Why Not! Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Club:
    Juventus FC
  11. Carolina Shamrock

Carolina Shamrock New Member

Apr 23, 2012
  12. hermie

hermie New Member

Jul 6, 2012
    AB of L-R is what I am hearing

13. realitycheck

realitycheck Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Not sure why he would leave LR to be an asst for UNCG. Maybe you heard his former AC who is a DII headcoach now. That would make a lot more sense.

14. footycoach9

footycoach9 Member

Jan 29, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    they had better keep 2 compliance people assigned to him if that is the case.

15. multisport

multisport Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Would you all mind using names of schools and people for those of us not as much in the know? It isn't like any of this needs to be a big secret. Thanks.

16. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lewitt, from the Bears.

http://www.lrbears.com/roster.asp?sportID=16

17. hermie

hermie New Member

Jul 6, 2012
    Why do you say that?

18. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Is it a custom in the South to just name people with letters?

I had no idea Lenoir-Rhyne went D1.

19. 90minutelover

90minutelover New Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Its obvious this thread was started to start trouble for another coach that the pundits agree may/may not have been a good choice. I will agree that SN was a stretch but to say he won't hire more experienced people just isn't true. He hired Sandy and she was very experienced. Maybe not at the D1 level, but ask ANY coach who works in the women's game and they will tell you flat out that she is a great coach. As far as Corti, she left for a full time job with way more money and benefits. Something that doesn't exist in the SoCon for 2nd assistants. Don't believe me, just ask any SoCon coach who doesn't even have a 2nd assistant! Sandy is following her boyfriend to Cincinnati. They lived apart for a year and it didn't work. The players are fine as well as the recruits. Sammy Towne is a good hire because of her playing experience and her familiarity with Nugent (she played for him as a youth player). Truth is that I actually thought about putting my name on this post (yikes) to add some credibility to it because my DD is committed to UNCG. She is very happy not only with Steve but with the school and players especially. After the changes he sent us an email that explained everything. The hire of Adrian Blewitt from Lenior also kills the theory of not hiring experience. 17 years as a head coach! I know its the season of perpetual BASHING, but can we just read this one at face value? Any chance that the soccer know-it-alls would allow this to happen without taking the gut shots? So SN was a stretch....So SN screams....So SN can't coach....Here is an idea, give Steve a call in his office and ask him yourself. Anybody who knows him or has been recruited by him knows he will give it to you straight. You might not like it and it might even be delivered in a brass way, but he will at least answer you. You certainly won't get that chance on a private message board like this. I'm sure this will trigger even more negativity but it was worth taking the time to write because I feel heroic when I talk good about people in this sport!

20. hilltopsoccer

hilltopsoccer Member

Aug 24, 2007
    TX
    90minutelover (what a name),
    I agree with you on the statement above. Let SN do what he is doing and lets see. AB is a great hire. All the best, and good luck UNCG!

21. realitycheck

realitycheck Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Good insight. I was really curious about Davison leaving. I thought she was a good coach and worked well with the girls.

22. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Great post! Don't know anything about these coaches but definitely think they should at least be given a chance before people get on the "she's a bad coach" bandwagon.

23. 90minutelover

90minutelover New Member

Jan 19, 2011
    What a novel idea. Allow a coach to show what he/she can do with their own players. If it doesn't work out and he loses his job, then we can say we tried. It's not a perfect science. There is no magic act in this game. I feel the success Eddie had with the program set up the next coach for a tough time. Not only did he win big, he pissed off every school in the SoCon in the process. It's made the SoCon better. This is definitely not your Daddy's conference anymore. And if Nugent does well will we hear from Reality check, Cat Daddy, or Why Not...I suspect we all know the verdict on that one. I'm mostly a reader and not a poster so I've read several of their critical comments (some insightful) but mostly just critical. That's what's great about these forums.

PS. Thanks for the shout out on the name.

24. SuperSoccer1978

Barcelona
    Nov 24, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Are we saying that AB has the job then??? Still think its a little crazy for AB to take an assistant job, he's done well at LR why not wait for the right D1 head coaching job to come up?? just curious

25. papacard

papacard New Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Club:
    Hamilton Academicals FC
    'Strike while the iron's hot!' 36-5-3 in the last two seasons, maybe he knows it's exactly the right time to move on! Good luck to UNCG!