2012 Hot seat or getting warm seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Cliveworshipper, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Clearly Minnesota want a female coach.

2. Why Not!

Why Not! Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    New Minn AD is a UNC lifer....look for him to do an exhausting search of every former UNC player/coach in America. He had plenty of quality coaches knocking at the VCU door when that position was open, but he hired with 2 un-proven UNC grads. They have been average at best at a mid major soccer school, in an "ok" conference.

This may or may not be a fair statement (and I'm sure you guys will let me know), but at BSC type schools there is much more emphasis on the recruiting and management of talent than there is at actually coaching them....that is not to say that "all" D 1s operate that way! SO...could a Tiff Roberts "attract" that level of talent (especially now that she is on WNT Staff) and let hubby manage the talent? I'd say Mr Teague would take that risk!

Ok boys & girls....let me have it!

3. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
    It's by no means an outstanding record but it's doubtful it's enough to get anyone at Butler fired for that alone. Now, that record putting a coaching in position for a BCS conference job is pretty debatable but fired at Butler? Don't see it.

Like MANY schools in the country the standard is--get to the conference tournament (not necessarily every year either--btw, Butler played in their conference tourney final two years ago, which they hosted for finishing first in the regular season standings), graduate your players, keep them out of trouble, stay out of trouble yourself and don't go over budget.

Whether you like or not those are the benchmarks for most women's soccer programs around the country.

4. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She was the conference coach of the year in 2010. And (apparently) had just 1 senior in 2011. No way she's in any danger of losing her Butler job if the players are also doing what they're supposed to be doing in the classroom and not getting in trouble out of it.

5. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    Western Michigan head coach Suzie Grech is leaving for a job as an assistant at Houston. Kind of odd, considering she accomplished more as head coach at WMU over the past few years than Pfau did at Akron.

Also, Nicole Nelson, last of Oklahoma, has been added to Petrucelli's staff at SMU.

6. Why Not!

Why Not! Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    First ones a surprise....don't quite see the logic in leaving a head coaching job to become an assistant unless it's one of the Top 10 programs or say an ACC school. Houston will struggle in the Big East!!! She could have further made a name for herself at W Mich.

Nelson at SMU...no surprise. She was on his staff at Texas, knows Texas and needs a job!

Any word about Western Illinois?

7. StevenLa

StevenLa Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Why would you leave a head coaching job in a decent conference to go to a very average program in Houston. Weird, weird, weird.

8. TheAusMan

TheAusMan Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Poor choice for Houston. Western MI doesn't pay well and budget is low but still, to hire an assistant with no Texas ties when you don't have Texas ties is not going to go over well!
    Who will go to Western MI? Also, who is getting the Minnesota job? Dayton Assistant job is open and that may be a job that turns into the head coaching position when Mike Tucker retires. ALso heard Indiana has NO assistants right now! Are we going to have coaching changes going on during pre-season?

9. USsoccerguy

USsoccerguy Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Club:
    Gamba Osaka
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. lifer1984

lifer1984 New Member

Jan 14, 2010
    What is going on in the BIGTEN??? BOTHIU assistants just left, Iowa assistant gone, Minnesota hiring new staff, Purdue assistant left, Wisconsin hiring assistant... Anyone with insight here?

11. mtthomas

mtthomas New Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Do you know where these people went?

Where did Orlando Cervantes go? Which Iowa assistant left? Which Purdue assistant? Wisconsin - do you mean replacing Farmer? Would think that was done awhile ago or did the other assistant leave too? Just guessing that Minnesota wants her own staff or no?

12. WestWind

WestWind Member

Nov 28, 2011
    University of Illinois-Chicago is adding women's soccer

13. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
    Shane Meredith left Iowa to take the HC job at Earlham. He is an alum and his family lives in Richmond so makes sense for him. http://www.goearlham.com/news/2012/6/28/WSOC_0628124235.aspx

Daugherty left Purdue to go back to Ohio to teach match and coach HS/Club and already have hired his replacement. http://www.purduesports.com/sports/w-soccer/spec-rel/062212aaa.html

Matthiessen left IU to take an AC job at ODU. http://www.odusports.com/sports/w-soccer/spec-rel/062512aaa.html.

14. lifer1984

lifer1984 New Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Cervantes to Lamar

15. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Another windmill?

( sorry, could not resist)

16. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    when?

17. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    2013, according to the job posting.

18. SuperSoccer1978

Barcelona
    Nov 24, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    I wonder who would put in for the UIC position?? build a whole new program, temping or tasking??

19. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

That would, of course, depend on the contract. If it had proper funding and say, five year terms, good pay, and a good recurring budget, it could be very attractive.

The winningest lacrosse coach in history, legend, and already in the hall of fame went to Denver to start a program and became a contender in his second year. But he had 100% support from the school and could write his own contract. Those opportunities are not the norm.

Does anyone know the level of commitment UIC has made?

20. qaws

qaws New Member

Apr 23, 2012
    Bill Tierney didn't start the Denver Lacrosse program. They started playing division one lacrosse in 1999 under coach Jamie Munroe(sp?) He has done a great job elevating the program to a whole new level, but he didn't build that thing from scratch. Your point is valid. The job comes down to the commitment UIC makes to the coach and the program, but the comparison does not hold.

21. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Well, ok, they were technically D1, but they were in the GWLL and I'm pretty sure they were still not fully funded to D1 levels. When he came, they went first class from funding to Stadium to moving to the ECAC. There is a HUGE difference in the level of commitment when he came on board. It is a prime example of what can happen when a program gets that commitment. In is not unlike what Portland did when Clive Charles started coaching there, except Tierney was already in the Hall.

Bill was a pretty good D3 soccer coach at Hopkins, BTW.

22. qaws

qaws New Member

Apr 23, 2012
    Agreed. Facilities, funding etc will decide whether the UIC job is an opportunity or or a lesson. I have all the respect in the world for Mr. Tierney and his record can't be questioned, but I do question whether he would have been able to do it this quickly starting from nothing. My point was he had some pieces in place. I don't think anybody could go from nothing to a final four that quickly Starting a program is a HUGE undertaking even with every advantage in the world. We are arguing over nothing as I 100% agree with your basic statement,
    " That would, of course, depend on the contract. If it had proper funding and say, five year terms, good pay, and a good recurring budget, it could be very attractive."

That's the truth of the postion.

23. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    You have to remember that this is the slowest time of the year for College soccer. We will no Doubt find even pettyer disagreements before the season starts up again :)

24. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
    The success John Trask established on the men's side mean facilities for soccer at UIC will be at a pretty decent level, especially for a start up program like the women. http://www.uicflames.com/facilities/field.html
    http://www.uicflames.com/view.gal?id=12941

Funding and contracts will be the key but my guess is they'll treat whoever is hired pretty well and give them some tools to be successful.

25. HatchGK

HatchGK Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Becky Burleigh won the national championship at UF in 1998, in their fourth year.