2012 Hot seat or getting warm seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Cliveworshipper, Apr 11, 2012.

1. SuperSoccer1978

Barcelona
    Nov 24, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Very good sources are telling me the whole VCU coaching staff will be moving to Minnesota!!!!.......Not BIG 10 quality.....but knowing the AD = new job!

2. Why Not!

Why Not! Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    The connection would make sense.....not sure that staff could handle Big 10, pretty average or slightly above average in CAA....She was just chosen to work on National Staff, so recruiting to a location like UM, and the Big 10 could be a lot more attractive than Richmond and the A-10....interesting!

3. mtthomas

mtthomas New Member

Jun 16, 2012
    That would be a bad hire for a Big Ten School. 41-45-14 overall record in 5 years and 22-25-8 in conference. VCU has gotten worse under her. Not better!

4. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    The husband is doing the coaching so they would both have to go. The "package". This was a shock hire when it happened and they've had to learn on the job at VCU. Have they learned enough to be successful at the Northern end of the Big-10 where NorthFace is more popular than Adidas? Very different than a mid-major in Richmond but with the CAA imploding as it is, it's a good move for them if they can get it.

Oh and Tif Roberts evaluating and running sessions for a USYNT??? That's crazy. If this is what Heinrichs is bringing to US Soccer, there's real trouble ahead....

5. mtthomas

mtthomas New Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Assistant Matt Carr had resigned late spring and they had announced a job opening for his spot at VCU a week or so ago. Where did Matt go?

6. SuperSoccer1978

Barcelona
    Nov 24, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Matt Carr will pop up at Kenasaw State me thinks! When the coaching staff at VCU moves to Minnesota, Wisconsin and Penn State will be laughing!!! I'm sure their nice people but there shocking coaches! Because people I know recruiting in a HUGE part of college soccer but coaching is also a HUGE part too, when coaches tell you that college soccer is all about recruiting just means there not confident field coaches, there is a huge different between coaching and Managing. Alex Ferguson = Manager, Pep Guardiola coach. Both VCU coaches have good playing back ground but can't coach! Aaron Winter (former Toronto coach) unbelievable playing back ground, shocking coach!

7. Al Breen

Al Breen New Member

Jun 18, 2012
    Wow seems like some folks have an axe to grind with the VCU coaches. Ha ha. No seriously I've seen them both and can say that they are very very bright coaches! I saw them put on a dynamite session with a youth team and have followed the VCU team ever since! A quick search of their website will tell you that they finished 2nd in the CAA in 2011 and she was named conference coach of the year. VCU also had the defender of the year and rookie of the year. Not too shabby!

Word is that they were also offered the Maryland job before Morgan! She's doing something right if you get that call!

8. New Engalnd Nellie

Mar 6, 2008
    I wish poster would consider that these are people's livelihoods they are posting about. First the VCU coaches and now Morgan. And anything starting with "Word is . . ." is highly suspect.

9. mtthomas

mtthomas New Member

Jun 16, 2012
    A quick look at VCU's web site will show you the twosome has had an unsuccessful tenure. Oh wait. None of this is on their web site because they have hidden their records. You can find these on the conference website though.

Minnesota requires three years successful college coaching experience. Which 3 years are successful to you? 9-8-4 a success?

2011 9-8-4

2010 6-9-4

2009 6-11-2

2008 9-9-1

2007 11-8-3

41-45-14 overall 22-25-8 conference

10. worthyofbeing1

Oct 23, 2011
    Id love see you coach VCU and see how many wins you produce.

She's not excatly dealing with players like herself at VCU. She has mid major talent.

11. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    You're exactly right - They were LUCKY to get an ENTRY LEVEL Division I job that draws mid-major talent to a mid-major program because some knucklehead AD thought getting a national teamer would somehow help VCU's rep.
    The point is - does the work they've done there qualify them for a Big-10 or ACC job?? I think the facts laid out here speak for themselves. They've won 10 games only their first year with the previous coaches players. I really doubt the rumor about Maryland - that would have been a disaster. But we've seen crazier things happen haven't we....

12. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I don't know anything about these coaches but I think that what we can conclude from the expert analysis on this site is that college coaching is full of morons. No hire is ever good, every head coach in college soccer is awful, and athletic directors are idiots. Let's just all accept we are bad coaches and no hire will ever be good anywhere.

13. New Engalnd Nellie

Mar 6, 2008
    Ha-ha!

I am wondering why this hasn't been announced yet by Minnesota. It seems these things usually get announced pretty quickly this time of year, no? When it takes this long one begins to question whether it's going to happen.

14. midwestfan

midwestfan Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    This is an offensive statement. You can't blame the talent for the lack of results by a coach. Whether it's mid major or not the competition is comparable. So if you coach a mid major team to a mid table position what can you expect diferent when coaching a Big Ten team against Big Ten talent.

As much of the game as I have seen, there are a good percentage of players that could be switched out between the two and you wouldn't notice a difference. Please don't blame the players. That is just a big copout.

There would have to be some overly compelling reason to hire a coach that has not improved, and based on the information provided, has gone backwards. Last season they managed only 15 goals in 14 games (although their record is 9-8-4)?

I don't know the coach, but I certainly know that you don't blame the players, and pass them off, as only Mid Major talent as a reason.

15. KNVB05

KNVB05 New Member

Jun 12, 2012
    What happens to the assistants at Minny?

16. Norfolk

Norfolk Member

Mar 22, 2001
    If you think the talent at mid majors is comparable you are very mistaken. Some programs have vastly more resoursces that their counterparts. I know of one mid major program that has almost double the scholarships, double the budget/recruiting budget and more coaches than any of the other programs in the conference. If you think that doesn't have an effect on the talent they can recruit then you are seriously mistaken.

17. midwestfan

midwestfan Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Norfolk,
    I'm not mistaken. I said, "a good percentage of the players could be switched". Which I 100% stand behind. I did not say that they were comparable, I said that if you compare mid major results using mid major players, then what more could you expect from big ten players against big ten opposition.
    I am fully aware that the level of play and competition varies widely within each conference, but would think that after having coached in that conference for five years improvement would be shown by a more than competent coach.

You only included some of my quote. What I was comparing was mid major to mid major and big ten to big ten, and questioning that if a coach coaches to .500 in one conference with as you have pointed out vastly diferent resources, how would they expect to do in another conference with vastly diferent resources.

My question back to you is, how much less in resources does VCU have than their competition in the CCA, and how does Minessota stack up compared to other Big Ten schools in resources? Having been around the game for many decades, at multiple levels, I have seen coaches with limited resources out coach the oppostition with more and vica versa. I still think blaming the players is a cop out.

18. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    What is a mid-Major in the women's soccer context?

Makes no sense.

19. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Finalists for the Minn job are the head coaches from Army and Butler.

20. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Well, since Army would qualify for a bowl game if it ranked in the top 12, it's not a mid-Major.

The black Knights of the Hudson have five consensus national Championships, compared to, say UCLAs one.

But I'm still not sure what that has to do with women's soccer.

21. New Engalnd Nellie

Mar 6, 2008
    I wish people wouldn't post rumors. It appears the VCU group got dumped on for no reason.

22. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    I have no inside info on the Minn opening but....
    Forgive me but isn't this the place for rumors?
    If you are making a major decision or changing an opinion of someone after reading an anonymous forum, you're in trouble and will be chasing your tail an awful lot on the web.

I do love the phrase that started this..."very good sources"

23. New Engalnd Nellie

Mar 6, 2008
    Well I guess you're right in a way. But what happens now to the VCU coaches - outed to their employers and then put down besides?

Maryland has hired Eric Golz recently from Dayton and formerly from Iowa and Clemson, as an assistant coach and the recruiting coordinator-

http://www.umterps.com/sports/w-soccer/spec-rel/062112aaa.html.

24. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Army coach was on campus interviewing for the Minnesota head job this week. Not sure if the Butler coach was in this week too but know they are the finalists.

25. mtthomas

mtthomas New Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Butler coach's record is shocking. She has to be in jeopardy of losing her job at Butler and she is a finalist at Minnesota?

2006 5-11-3 (.342) 2-4-1 (.357)
    2007 10-9-1 (.525) 5-3-0 (.625)
    2008 11-11-0 (.500) 4-4-0 (.500)
    2009 7-11-2 (.381) 3-4-1 (.438)
    2010 9-11-0 (.450) 6-2-0 (.750)
    2011 8-10-2 (.450) 3-5-0 (.375)

50-63-8 (.446) 23-22-2 (.511)
    50-63-8 (.446)