2012 Hot seat or getting warm seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Cliveworshipper, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Regardless what you think who the law is for, the law says that if you are in residency camp at the OTC regardless where you live, you can apply for and receive the in-state tuition rate " until such time as you can establish residency" there is no requirement for how long you have to be in camp, or for how long you can take to establish residency.

So if you apply the week you are there, the law says you can get the break. It is written that way on purpose, I think.
    That's a pretty big loophole. Does Indiana have an OTC?

As to the special admits, yes, almost all BCS schools do it, studies show. If I were the coach, like you the first question I would ask is how many of them would apply to my program. UCLA is the world leader right now for all athletes at 70% ( schools don't publish for each Olympic sport) so Indiana would have a task to keep up.

For some students getting into a good school with questionable grades is enough. For others getting reduced tuition is enough. A combination of them can look a lot like an athletic scholarship without being one. Other non athletic money that is directed to athletes also helps. An aggressive athletic department can help a lot here.

So a big part of what BJ would have asked at IU is " what is the package for my program?

2. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
    Really it came down to salary and other options BJ might have. At the end of the day, when it came time to actually fork out the money required to entice BJ, IU got cold feet and wouldn't go that high. The soccer people might have been ready to do it, but the business people not so much.

3. OxfordComa

OxfordComa New Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    I believe IU had financial troubles a few years back. However, after the construction of the football stadium and basketball practice facility, I think they are out of it (unless it was a spend $ to make $, which makes sense when it comes to football/basketball).

4. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    You may very well apply for in-state residency after training at the Olympic Training Center for a week, but you sure won't get it. The rule is designed for athletes "in training" at the OTC. Someone who trained there once or twice and applied that week won't be granted an exception and given in-state tuition.

5. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Well, ok.

If you are tring to entice a coach away from a major program and won't at least match compensation, you aren't making a serious bid.

6. TheAusMan

TheAusMan Member

Nov 3, 2011
    So are they (IU) only looking at current DI head coaches or will they look at assistants from top schools? They had to have a plan B, right?

7. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
    Notice I didn't say match, I said go that high. There's a difference.

8. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Yes, you are right.... On both sides of match

9. ApalaBumba

ApalaBumba New Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Is John Natale still at Hartford. I figured he would have been snatched up.

10. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's listed there still, with Shimmin and Bacher as ACs.

11. Why Not!

Why Not! Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    ROLL CALL.....

OPEN
    Army (West Point)
    New Hampshire
    Jacksonville State
    Indiana
    St. Peter's
    Stephen F. Austin
    American Univ.
    Iona
    Eastern Kentucky
    St. Bonaventure

Did I miss any?

12. DrGoat

DrGoat Member

Nov 1, 2011
    I know their was a Roll Call right above this, but I updated full list....

FILLED
    Mississippi St. - Aaron Gordon (Texas Tech Assoc. HC)
    Cincinnati - Neil Stafford (Central Michigan HC)
    South Alabama - Graham Winkworth (North Alabama HC)
    NC State - Tim Santoro (Wake Forest Associate HC)
    Arizona - Tony Amato (Stephen F. Austin HC)
    Bowling Green - Lindsay Basalyga (Eastern Kentucky HC)
    UA- Little Rock - Adrian Blewitt (UNC-Greensboro AC)
    Boise State - Jim Thomas (Washington AC)
    North Dakota - Matt Kellogg (Ferris State HC)
    Southern Miss - Mohammed El Zare (Mobile Soccer Club DOC)
    Oregon - Kat Mertz (St. Louis HC)
    Ohio University - Aaron Rodgers (Kentucky AC)
    Central Michigan - Peter McGahey (Minnesota St. HC)
    FDU - Rick Stainton (Seton Hall AC)
    St. Louis - Katie Shields (St. Louis AC)

Army (West Point) - As more time passes, I feel like the job posting was a dept. formality since he was named interim right before the 2012 season.

OPEN
    New Hampshire
    Jacksonville State
    Indiana (HOT)
    St. Peter's (HOT)
    Stephen F. Austin
    American Univ.
    Iona
    Eastern Kentucky
    St. Bonaventure

13. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    For Army the word is it will be Marcia McDermott. She was the head coach at Northwestern when they had the hazing scandal as she was let go. Has been out if the college game since. Thought Army had better candidates. Keeping Fred Thompson as the head made much more sense.

14. GPFan19

GPFan19 New Member

Aug 24, 2010
    Toccoa, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    justdoit repped this.
  15. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I stand corrected, thanks GPFan19. Looking at the release she has quite a background in the game, even if she has not been in the college game in the last 5-6 years.

16. justdoit

justdoit Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Iona will hire a women for sure

17. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
    Marcia McDermmott is the new Army head coach http://www.goarmysports.com/sports/w-soccer/spec-rel/011813aaa.html

IU met with some people over the weekend: two very solid Midwest mid-major head coaches and one somewhat surprising (in terms of past performance, particularly in conference which has been a struggle of IU's as well) BCS head coach--being an alum and liked by Jerry has its privileges.

18. sokarcrazy

sokarcrazy Member

Dec 19, 2005
    That sure sounds a lot like Wendy D. from Iowa State.

19. midwestfan

midwestfan Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    IU met with some people over the weekend: two very solid Midwest mid-major head coaches and one somewhat surprising (in terms of past performance, particularly in conference which has been a struggle of IU's as well) BCS head coach--being an alum and liked by Jerry has its privileges.[/quote]

How about McNamara from UT Martin and Rolf from Illinois State? They've each taken their programs to the NCAA the last two years.

I'm surprised though that IU can't pry a more notable coach. Is it a money thing?

20. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    IU's not a very attractive job as far as BCS jobs go . . . pay not great, Notre Dame is, you know, sorta good, right up the road. And you will be working with a men's program with a lot of clout that has never exerted any pressure to raise the level of the women's program.

21. NutInButNet

NutInButNet Member

Jun 8, 2011
  22. StevenLa

StevenLa Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Is Dooley out at FAU? Heard he might have left for another job.

23. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Hammerhead83

Hammerhead83 Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Any names on the St. Peters HC job? This has to be one of the toughest places to be sucessful given the recent 5-8 year history.