2012 Harrisburg City Islanders

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by ButlerBob, Jan 5, 2012.

1. dmeluzio22

dmeluzio22 Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Did you guys really do a pitch invasion?!

3. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Back from exile in time for the Open Cup rematch versus the Red Bulls! Well, not exile, but lots of travel and work. A couple of notes heading into the Open Cup:

1. Excited to see Tyler Ruthven return to City Island? Don't be, he's suspended after receiving a red card in the Open Cup two years ago while playing for Harrisburg. Ruthven should've served his suspension against the Charleston Battery last week but appeared on the bench. He wasn't allowed to do that, so the Red Bulls were fined $500 and now he has to sit out this match. Rumor had it that Harrisburg tipped off the authorities, but in fact it was the Battery. Settle down, Tyler, why the animosity towards the City Islanders?

2. Speaking of suspensions, unless I'm mistaken, we won't be seeing Brian Ombiji against the Red Bulls because he's received two yellow cards already in the tournament. If this is the case, it's a big loss as Ombiji tallied goals against Long Island and New England in the past two Open Cup games. Look for Morgan Langley, Sainey Touray, and Yann Ekra in his absence.

3. Thierry Henry, pretty big deal, right? Too bad he's not coming to Harrisburg. Don't let the pregame banter fool you, he's still recovering from a hamstring injury and won't risk it at Skyline. The Red Bulls still feature some potent scorers, including Kenny Cooper who leads the MLS in goals with 11. New York also has a forward you may have heard of, Jose Angulo! That's right, our leading scorer from last year signed with the Red Bulls in the offseason, although he's been slowed by injuries this season.

4. Corey Hertzog, a local product and former star at Penn State, is another Red Bull attacker, although he's been loaned to Wilmington and his status for the Open Cup remains unclear. Either way Hertzog will play at Skyline this weekend as the Hammerheads visit the City Islanders in league play on Saturday.

5. The all-important forecast. The weather gods pretty much hate City Island and the Open Cup game may prove no different. The forecast calls for a chance of thunderstorms and cool temperatures, well, cool for June that is. Expect the thermometer at 60 degrees for the game, and bring an umbrella just in case...

4. wlamar3

wlamar3 Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Harrisburg
    And once again the winner is, the Harrisburg City Islanders in overtime 3-1 beating the New York
    Red Bulls. Way to go guys! Next round they play the Philadelphia Union. Yahoooooooeeeee!

5. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, didn't take RBNY as long to fold like a lawn chair as it took the Revs.

6. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Great job at Flushing the Pink Cow Turds out of the USOC.

7. Flying Weasel

Flying Weasel Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As per a phone call to the City Islanders ticket office, they are not anticipating being given any allotment of tickets to sell (which I geuss is something that simply isn't done in the U.S.). I wonder if there will be any attempt on the part of the City Islanders to encourage the fans to all sit together. PPL Park has a visitors section at the top of corner section 133. Not necessarily a preferred vantage point, and with tickets available all of the stadium, it might be hard to convince everyone to sit there.

So, any thoughts as to whether there can, should, and will be any effort to organize the City Islander support going down to PPL Park?

8. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Harrisburg riding crest of stingy and well organized back line and keeper, speedy front line , steady midfield play and home turf to a succesful USOC run and season, so far. Let's hope they don't burn out too soon playing so many tough matches. They are fit, in form and not afraid to challenge opponents at any level of play anywhere on the pitch. Duckett and Brandt seem to have paired well with stalwarts Basso and Marshall. With Ekra, Mkosana, LeRoy, Mellor, Yates, Zizzi and Pettis, they have just enough depth to stay healthy and reasonably fresh. Bixler may even be available for limited duty, if needed. Ombiji has played with passion and is as sharp as he has been in a long time - Touray in rounding into scoring form and Pelletier/Noone are just plain solid.

Next 2 weeks could be critical with 2 league home matches Wilmington, Rochester and 2 road matches Orlando and Charleston plus 2 encounters with Union. Beating Union in USOC would be huge and propel Isles' into semifinals and national spotlight. Not bad for a small market, low budget, under-the-radar club, eh?

9. wlamar3

wlamar3 Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Harrisburg
    That' three in a row over MLS teams, beating their affiliate team Philadelphia Union 3-2.

Garrett Pettis who I believe is the son of the owner in his first season on the team is really coming into
    his own quickly. I'd ask where they found this guy at, but I figure the owner of the Islander has been scouting him since he first kicked a ball.
    Way to go, guys.

10. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/06/12/union-get-sneak-peak-opponent-usoc-quarterfinals

"I think we're both feeling that it's unfortunate that we're meeting in the quarterfinals," assistant coach John Hackworth told MLSsoccer.com. "We wish US Soccer would have maybe looked at that affiliation a little more closely and not put us in the bracket where we could have played each other. But at the end of the day, you've got to beat everybody to get to the trophy, so it is what it is."

11. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    A massively important five day span awaits the City Islanders with road matches at Orlando and Charleston plus the Open Cup quarterfinal at Philly. This might be the toughest stretch of the season, especially with a roadtrip to Rochester looming the following weekend. The City Islanders could be in dreamland or deep trouble depending on how the next couple of days go.

http://thesportsburger.com/2012/06/21/make-or-break-time-for-the-city-islanders.aspx

12. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    New City Islanders website is live: http://www.cityislanders.org/

This is such an improvement, way more professional than the old one. The team is still building it, so expect lots of changes and tweaks, but as a fan, thank you for continuing to work hard to improve our experiences supporting the team. Great job!

13. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    City Islanders stomped by Orlando 3-0 tonight, but... Take a look at the lineup Bill Becher fielded. No J.T. Noone, Andrew Welker, or Jason Pelletier in the midfield, instead two Philly Union youngsters in Jordan and McLaughlin?!?! Zizzi and Lucky get starts while Touray only plays 40 minutes? If I didn't know any better, and I don't, I'd say Becher rested a bunch of his first team because they play tomorrow at Charleston and then have the all-important Open Cup game on Tuesday. Very interesting...

14. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Pelletier was sick, but confirmation that six City Islanders skipped Orlando altogether: Pelletier, Noone, Welker, Ombiji, Bixler, and Yates. All will be available tonight against Charleston. While I don't like losing three points on the road like that, this schedule is brutal and it's probably wise to spare these guys that extra travel and fatigue considering what's at stake this week. Plus the weather in Orlando sucked, so why risk it?

http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/2012/06/orlando_city_shuts_down_visiti.html

15. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Orlando plays on turf as well. so like you said probably not worth the risk. Weather here is warm and humid. The first hour of the match should be hot for the players, but I was outside last night as the sun was going down and it was felt fabulous (well it could have been I was at a pool party!) so I look forward to a good match tonight.

16. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been on our turf. It's not like the "painted concrete" of old, if that's what you're getting at. But yeah, bad conditions all around, and also Harrisburg still has the Open Cup to concern themselves with. I have a feeling Harrisburg is most likely to carry our banner further (and get that $10k prize for top USL Pro team).

17. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Philadelphia Union may have suffered a scare, but in the end they were the ones who looked the most frightening.
    Led by a brace from Lionard Pajoy, the Union advanced to the U.S. Open Cup semifinals with a 5-2 victory over USL Pro club Harrisburg City Islanders at PPL Park on Tuesday night. The result may have finished in lopsided manner, but it took a second half penalty kick from Pajoy and a floated effort from substitute Gabriel Gomez to give the hosts breathing room in front of the 4,313 fans in attendance.
    The Union let a 3-0 lead at halftime nearly vanish, as Brian Ombiji and Morgan Langley punished defender Porfirio Lopez's slack marking to pull Harrisburg within a goal. Lopez was starting in central defense due to the suspension of Carlos Valdes.
    With the City Islanders throwing numbers forward, the Union managed to get some breathing room when Pajoy converted on a spotkick that was questionably awarded after substitute Amtoine Hoppenot was brought down in the box.
    The other Philadelphia goal-scorers were Freddy Adu and Jack McInerney, who each scored within the first nine minutes of a match that seemed destined to be a rout.
    The Union will host the winner of the Sporting Kansas City-Dayton Dutch Lions quarterfinals match in the semifinals on July 10 or 11.

18. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    There's really no way to sugarcoat it, the past week was a disaster for the City Islanders. Three games, three losses, outscored 11-3 in the process. Harrisburg remains in playoff contention, and they certainly have the quality to make a serious run at the title, but things fell apart during the road games in Orlando, Charleston, and Philadelphia. The only silver lining is that Harrisburg won the $10K for advancing furthest in the Open Cup from the USL-PRO, otherwise it's hard not to be deflated by bad losses and major injuries. Next up is a crucial game at Rochester and Harrisburg will likely be missing Touray (ankle), Basso (shoulder), Duckett (nose), and Welker (suspension). Earning any points in Rochester will be a coup.

http://thesportsburger.com/2012/06/27/roadkill-city-islanders-crash-in-open-cup-and-league-play.aspx

19. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't they split it with Dayton and Charlotte?

20. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
  21. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Does anyone know how the tie-breaker worked? It's a mystery to me...

23. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Wow, the injury list is even worse than anticipated. Missing from tonight's match will be: Basso (shoulder), Touray (ankle), Bixler (hamstring), Brandt (calf), Welker (suspension), and probably Duckett (nose). That's nearly the entire starting backline plus the club's most dynamic offensive player. Jimmy McLaughlin and Greg Jordan will be on loan from the Union again, but as I wrote before, if the team can earn even a point tonight, it'd be an accomplishment with their fatigue and injuries.

http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/2012/06/city_islanders_and_rochester_t_2.html

24. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well as the grounds were done on a coin flip I wouldn't put that out of the question. Maybe josh over at thecup.us knows? if you find out let us know. I am pretty sure this is the first year they haven't split the winnings.

25. HCI Caller

HCI Caller New Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read somewhere that the first tiebreaker was number of wins against MLS competition. Since all three USL Pro quarterfinalists had one win over an MLS side, it goes to the second tiebreaker, which is draws against MLS sides. Harrisburg, by virtue of its draw against New England (won in PKs), gets the nod over Dayton and Charlotte here.

Mikey mouse repped this.