2012 GenAd Cup

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Clint Eastwood, Jul 18, 2012.

1. McSoccerdad

McSoccerdad Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Too funny. I was going to add that the keeper decks the Union kid at about 1:05.

2. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    I think many schools have long been aware of Canadian players and have been recruiting them. Certainly programs like Michigan, UB and Syracuse would have an easier time recruiting kids from Canada than those from most of the warmer parts of the US. If the Ontario players were in the DA program they would be slightly easier to scout for coaches since they would be available at one of the two DA showcase events. But since they are not, the recruiting really hasn't changed that much and will tend to be more regional in nature.

3. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    I think Barcelona is a different thing altogether. First they are integrated with local clubs throughout their region so in many ways they do have a model like Philly. Second they are concerned that other professional clubs will sign players if they don't do so. Third they have much more money, much better scouting, a residential system, laws and culture that make it much easier to sign and develop the youth players they really want.

4. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    I'm not so sure this is the case anymore in the higher GDP countries. I think German clubs are more integrated with their education system. I could be wrong, but I also recalling Iniesta and some other Barcelona players studying for post secondary school classes.

5. bajansoccer

bajansoccer Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Is ur kid gonna stay with RSL AZ?

6. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be happy to discuss this with you offline as this seems to be Politically sensitive. I can say that I have been very Happy with the professionalism shown by RSL and Portland and the MLS in figuring this out. My gratitude goes out to all three of them. Lucas spent the month of August on trial with Fulham and South ampton and that also went extremely well.

7. bajansoccer

bajansoccer Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Sorry, didn't mean to be too intrusive. Best wishes to him for his future. .

8. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No problem at all. It was a fair question. He has moved to Portland and will be on the Portland Timbers u-18 team this year.