2012 FIFA Club World Cup: News & Analysis [R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    The final eight in CAF, qualified for the group stage:

Group A
    Espérance ST (Tunisia)
    Étoile du Sahel (Tunisia)
    Sunshine Stars (Nigeria)
    ASO Chlef (Algeria)

Group B
    TP Mazembe (DR Congo)
    Al-Ahly (Egypt)
    Zamalek (Egypt)
    Berekum Chelsea (Ghana)

2. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wondering, since I haven't followed up on the Port Said massacre: will fans be allowed in the stadium for the Egyptian derby games?

3. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    I guess with the league being suspended, how to bring back the game to a point where fans can go to games safely?

I guess, playing two games under the heading of 'CAF' makes it easier on the Egyptian FA. If both games are a success, then they will say they can resume their league. If there is trouble, then they can say it's the call of 'CAF' giving them a get out of jail card.

Hopefully the game can be played in front of fans, but it's a big test.

4. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    This article states that the Egypt games will most likely be played without fans (they have been so far.) Group B certainly looks interesting. Tough year for Sudan and Morocco, not a single club in the final eight.

5. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Got the OFC Final second leg highlights. Tefana had a huge chance before Auckland put them away. Attendance was announced at 1,900 but that seems to be on the optimistic side. Just a reminder how big a stage the CWC is for the O-League champions:

The AFC CL group stage is complete and the Round-of-16 set. After Al Sadd's controversial win last year not a single QSL club advanced this time, increasing criticism about the four spots awarded by the AFC. The UAE on the other hand contributes two teams after years of failure, including lesser known Baniyas - the club David Trezeguet ran away from after just two matches. The K-League lost two clubs in the group stage, 2011 finalists Jeonbuk and record ACL champions Pohang Steelers. Headline-grabbing Guangzhou Evergrande continues to fly the flag for the CSL, possibly reinforced with their new expensive signing Lucas Barrios from Dortmund.

6. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Just a reminder that tomorrow Saturday is Europe's biggest night in club football...

7. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Whoever wins libertadores will win this year CWC, it'll be a lot easier than vs barca. Hopefully santos wins again and they can redeem themselves vs bayern munich.

[]__[]

8. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    And the winners are...

[​IMG]

Chelsea crown themselves European champions for the first time in club history against all odds. Outplayed the entire game by Bayern they escaped a loss in regulation, in extra time, and finally the penalty shootout. Bayern is absolutely crushed after the second final defeat in two years.

9. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Ashley Cole was brillant for Chelsea. A big batltle for them, I thought when Muller scored - a soft goal I thought Cech could have done better with - was it, Muller nearly died with heart attack aswell from that!

Glad for Drogba, reall crowned off an impressive career, but it must be said, Bayern were the better team, would they have been on neutral ground? Who knows. If only they had their scoring boots on, seemed the goal was in the Chelsea supporters stand at times.

Will Chelsea light up Japan? Let's see, I get the feeling that they will prepare the media by saying they don't really care, that it gets in the way of Premier League and FA Cup which kind of disrepects the competition.

For all fans in Japan, get your tickets now, Cahill is a future foothold of the England back four, Cole is the worlds best left back by far.

10. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    The tournament will get the usual (negative) treatment in the British media but I'm convinced Chelsea will approach the CWC with the intent to win. After waiting this long for European glory Roman Abramowitsch will surely want to add the club world title as the cherry on top.

That said out of the four UCL semifinalists Chelsea is by far the most underwhelming, at least in current form. The Libertadores clubs must like their chances at this point.

11. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Well, December is a long time away. It all depends on how they are doing in PL come November time.

Your right, pity the British media will be negative. I'm English, and can hear my work collegues now sayig how poor the rest of the world is, and then boom, they see or hear the match and they have a different opinion for a week in the process telling me everything they know about football in Africa/Asia/etc.

I'm glad Chelsea have got his and really interested to see how they go over the next 5 years. Abramovich has got what he wanted, and I predict he will get bored and pull the plug at in this timeframe.

Now, unfortuantely for the CWC, Chelsea don't really have a sense of history to them. They're a club of the new generation and I can't quite get excited about them in CWC like I would with say a Bayern or AC Milan for example.

12. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Part of the negativity (compared to Spain, Italy or Germany) is linked to the lack of winter break in the Premiership. Anyway, I agree on your Abramovich assesment. He got what he wanted but I doubt his ego will allow him to leave Chelsea before he can call himself world champion.

Let's see who makes it through in South America. There are still quite a few clubs left who have never won a club world title. We could have a guaranteed first time winner in Yokohama.

13. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Premier League clubs play their first FA Cup game of the season in January, after the Club World Cup is over.

14. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    League Cup then.
    Point is, thye throw every excuse going.

15. lost

lost Member

May 24, 2006
    England
    come on, its not a big deal. there is no money in it except for the sponsors and there is no way that this trinket signals what side is the best anything in the world, anyone who tells you that the wcc champions is the best team as a result of it is a moron. this trophy means less than john terrys father of the year award.

16. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez after losing in 2005:
    "We did everything we could to win the game. We had 21 shots and 17 corners, hit the bar twice and had three goals disallowed."
    "I have tried to show respect for Sao Paulo because they are a good team - but we deserved to win. You do not normally see a team from Brazil defending like they did."
    "This was a very important competition but we need to focus elsewhere now."
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/4531684.stm

17. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Technically the only South American playing the CL quarterfinals who's won the CWC is Corinthians, and that shouldn't even count, because the 2000 CWC was a joke. Corinthians never even won CL, they were never the South American champion. How could they count as CWC Champions?

If you count the Intercontinental Cup winners, then out of the quarterfinalists, Boca Juniors won 3, Santos won 2 and Velez won 1.

18. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    dunno bout that, they will dominate possesion and lose;)

19. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Look, most here realize that the tournament carries more weight outside Europe. Having said that all UEFA clubs have taken the competition seriously since the re-launch in 2005 and that is all that matters. Now I'm not very keen on having this old tired side conversation again, one that we have been largely able to avoid incidentally since ManU competed in 2008. Goin back to Page #1:

Moderator's Note:
    We will try to focus on the six continental competitions and the occasional CWC news bit from FIFA. Distracting posts will be deleted/moved if necessary.

20. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Although I share your sentiment about the 2000 tournament I am counting Corinthians (CWC), Boca, Santos and Velez (all IC). That would leave Vasco, Fluminense, Libertad and U de Chile as potential first-time winners. I suppose Fluminense with ex-Chelsea player Deco would be quite a final story.
    It's still very early but this one has Liverpool - Sao Paulo written all over it.

21. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Why do you say that? Because of the timing of the event? Or because you don't want to see the world's champions face off for all the marbles, like the Super Bowl.

22. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    How would you determine the best side then? Do away with WCC and we can't. And before you say UEFA CL, look at the past winners list.

23. lost

lost Member

May 24, 2006
    England
    come on , this is marketing bullshit. its a supercup, a pre season testimonial, not a playoff for best side. i admit, it is getting a bigger name now than it used to be, and im sure that players would like to win it, but no one in europe would put it even on a par with winning a domestic cup. it ranks miles below a champions league playoff position in the league.

24. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Full stop. That's all the tournament needs for the time being, the rest will fall into place later when the club game further develops in the other confederations. And the CWC has been great for the international club game. Confederations like CONCACAF and the OFC in the past struggled to even organize club competitions on a regular basis. The AFC and CAF Champions Leagues are also healthier than ever before.

Moving on, Drogba has confirmed his Chelsea exit today.

25. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    to be honest - that might be a good decision from him... there's a saying, "leave em laughing" and Drogs has done just that. His last kick will be the one that won the champions league final and he'll be a legend there forever... he'll never be a fading senior player holding back the youngsters.