2012 FIFA Club World Cup: News & Analysis [R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    It was the week of second leg comebacks...

UCL Results this week (R16; Second Leg):

Real Madrid (Spain) - CSKA Moscow (Russia) 4:1 [5:2 on Agg.]
    Bayern Munich (Germany) - Basel (Switzerland) 7:0 [7:1 on Agg.]
    Inter Milan (Italy) - Marseille (France) 2:1 [Marseille wins on away goals]
    Chelsea (England) - Napoli (Italy) 3:1 [Chelsea won 4:1 in OT]

Chelsea managed to avoid complete disaster for England this year while Marseille eliminated Inter. The quarterfinal draw is later today.

CONCACAF Quarterfinals - Second Leg:

LA Galaxy (USA) - Toronto FC (Canada) 1:2 [3:4 on Agg.]
    Monterrey (Mexico) - Monarcas Morelia (Mexico) 4:1 [7:2 on Agg.]
    Santos Laguna (Mexico) - Seattle Sounders (USA) 6:1 [7:3 on Agg.]
    Pumas UNAM (Mexico) - Isidro Metapan (El Salvador) 8:0 [9:2 on Agg.]

What a crushing result for the Galaxy and David Beckham who spoke of winning this competition. Seattle in the meantime also had high hopes in Torreon.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hzFO95N1xE"]Santos vs Seattle sounders 6-1 - YouTube[/ame]

The semis are set:

Toronto FC (Canada) - Santos Laguna (Mexico)
    CF Monterrey (Mexico) - Pumas UNAM (Mexico)

Discovered an interesting fact. A Mexican win this year would set a new (sole) world record in terms of winning streak for a confederation's premier club competition. Right now it's tied at six with England:

- 6 England (1977-1982)
    - 6 Mexico (2006-Present)

2. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    So, another year of Mexican teams pummeling usa teams. And to think someone said "Galaxy would have done better in the CWC" in the previous CWC thread. The evidence has been presented beyond a reasonable doubt that the Mexican League is a clear cut above the rest of the region. Posters here gotta wise up.

3. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    UEFA Quarterfinal Draw:

X: Marseille (France) - Bayern Munich (Germany)
    X: APOEL Nicosia (Cyprus) - Real Madrid (Spain)
    Y: Benfica (Portugal) - Chelsea (England)
    Y :AC Milan (Italy) - FC Barcelona (Spain)

X - Meet in Semis; Y - Meet in Semis

Looks like APOEL is going to regret getting this far. Real Madrid and Barcelona can only meet in the final in Munich. Bayern of course will try to prevent that.

4. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Forza Juve

Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

GAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

[​IMG]

5. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Looks like India wants to host the CWC in 2015.

Would be a good choice in my opinion. The I-League is still not up to standard but this could motivate some development at the club level and football overall.

6. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The aggregate will probably look embarrassing but to have a club with the stature of Real Madrid play a Champions League quarterfinal tie on their home ground, this is their dream. I don't think anything negative can come from the experience. Nevermind APOEL, who knows how long any Cypriot team will reach this far again in the future. ;)

7. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If India were to get 2015/2016, assuming FIFA doesn't alter the format, the play-in game would get a lot more competitive.

8. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Indeed. The I-League is still a level below the UAE or Qatari league and we saw what can happen when Auckland catches a team like Al Ahli (Dubai) on an off-day.

Japan has also voiced interest once again for 2015 but that is a bit too soon. At this point I hope India gets it instead. Final in front of 120,000 in Calcutta?

9. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Are there any European or South American countries that plan to host the CWC in the future?

10. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that we know of.

Given that the host team needs to be good enough to not get embarrassed, but not good enough to actually win the CWC, I don't see FIFA considering a European hosting bid anytime soon. As for South America: with Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay out of the question (for the same reason as the potential European bids), I think Peru would have the best shot at hosting, what with their new National Stadium; but I don't see them coughing up the $35 million in guarantees for FIFA.

What I'd really like to see, though, is the US or Mexico bid for the tournament. A Club World Cup here in the States would be awesome to attend, while a Mexican bid would also guarantee that a non-Mexican team gets to participate (either by winning the CCL, or by being the best non-Mexican team in our Champions League and getting the hand-me-down "host" spot). And fortunately for FIFA, since the CCL champion would most likely be Mexican, there would be no problem if that team makes it to the Final.

11. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Discovered?? I wrote about that in the mexico boards weeks ago. I know you learned that from me. :D

12. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    What I would like to see starting 2015 is annual host rotation.

You would perhaps see a few more bidders if it didn't mean back-to-back tournaments and a combined $70 millions in guarantees. The CWC is small enough that you can host it in numerous locations including city states like Singapore.
    So why didn't you come and share that knowledge with us? ;)
    (I honestly didn't see it there)

Anyway, more action in the ACL today. Adelaide United beat Gamba Osaka at home and got some late revenge for the 2008 final:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4VLY1v9g5g"]ACL 2012: Adelaide United vs Gamba Osaka - YouTube[/ame]

13. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    because I`m not one to brag

14. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    The story of the 2012 ACL so far is definitely Thailand's Buriram United FC.

The team formerly known as Provincial Electricity Authority has now beaten the defending J.League and CSL champions. Thai club football is officially back on the map.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYej2LPQz_I"]ACL 2012 MD2: Guangzhou Evergrade vs Buriram United - YouTube[/ame]

15. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    And there's two sides to the AFC story. They kept nations such as Thailand out of the compeittion to improve professionalism in the regional game. Seem's to have given Thai teams a kick up the arse to get their game in order.

Only concern, AFC continues to keep some nations out of participation for the ACL, wonder how many other nations might hae a fairy tale story around the corner?

As for the Buriram United game, the Buriram coach said after the match that he was initally worried about Cleo, Conca and another before the match and planned to tactically play to mark these such players. After 10 minutes or so he noticed that that players aren't as good as the ones in the domestic Thai Legaue and changed tact. Maybe Chinese clusb are paying over the odds!! Conca gets paid more than the wole Thai league together.

Apparently Guangzhou's first defeat on home soil in 2 years, well done PEA/Buiriam PEA/United!!

16. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    What's interesting is that all of last year's losing finalists aren't doing too well, if they made it back at all that is:

UEFA / Manchester United
    - Eliminated in Group Stage

CONMEBOL / CA Penarol
    - A single point so far in three group stage matches. Last in group.

AFC / Jeonbuk Motors
    - Two group stage matches. Two 5-1 defeats.

CAF / Wydad Casablanca
    - Did not qualify.

CONCACAF / Real Salt Lake
    - Did not qualify.

OFC / Amicale FC
    - Eliminated in Group Stage.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI5mUBrW7WI"]Peñarol 0 - Nacional 4 : Copa Santander Libertadores - YouTube[/ame]

17. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    UEFA finally had a clear ruling on the six Welsh "exiles" in the English system:
    Not that any of them will be in the running for a CWC spot anytime soon, but it's interesting to see the latest take on this issue. The deal-breaker across confederations seems to be that an association can't have a firmly established division one at home if it wants to nominate a club that is playing abroad.

What's the situation in Puerto Rico these days?

19. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Islanders and Bayamon FC are both set to participate in the next CFU Club Champions Cup.

20. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    UCL Quarterfinals, First Leg:

Marseille (France) - Bayern Munich (Germany) 0:2
    APOEL Nicosia (Cyprus) - Real Madrid (Spain) 0:3
    Benfica (Portugal) - Chelsea (England) 0:1
    AC Milan (Italy) - FC Barcelona (Spain) 0:0

Not a good round for the home teams, but things remain interesting between Milan and Barcelona. Benfica still has chances to turn it around as well.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4avw2GpgrXY"]Chelsea Vs Benfica 1-0 Full Match Highlights And Goals 27-3-2012 - YouTube[/ame]

CCL Semifinals, First Leg:

Toronto FC (Canada) - Santos Laguna (Mexico) 1:1
    CF Monterrey (Mexico) - Pumas UNAM (Mexico) 3:0

Impressive first leg by defending champions Monterrey...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXEUklTuCGg"]3.28.12 CCL Highlights Monterrey v Pumas - YouTube[/ame]

21. morange92

morange92 Member+

Jan 30, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'd like to see an mls team get into the club world cup... i follow international soccer, but tbh it's kind of a pain to follow european clubs so im hoping the MLS gets good enough to be able to compete in these kind of events

22. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Well, it's not looking good. Mexico set a new world record of seven consecutive titles today and looking at the scorelines that record may extend well beyond ten.

CCL Semifinals, Second Leg:

Santos Laguna (Mexico) - Toronto FC (Canada) 6:2 / 7:3 on agg.
    Pumas UNAM (Mexico) - CF Monterrey (Mexico) 1:1 / 1:4 on agg.

FINAL: CF Monterrey (Mexico) - Santos Laguna (Mexico)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCmi835KGrY"]4.4.12 CCL Highlights Santos v Toronto - YouTube[/ame]

UCL Quarterfinals, Second Leg:

Bayern Munich (Germany) - Marseille (France) 2:0 / 4:0 on agg.
    Real Madrid (Spain) - APOEL Nicosia (Cyprus) 5:2 / 8:2 on agg.
    Chelsea (England) - Benfica (Portugal) 2:1 / 3:1 on agg.
    FC Barcelona (Spain) - AC Milan (Italy) 3:1 / 3:1 on agg.

No surprises in UEFA, Chelsea managed to overcome Benfica. Barcelona are now only three games away from returning to Japan.

In the O-League the last group match determining the second finalist had to be moved to April 15 (in Auckland) due to a severe storm in Fiji.

23. By probability alone, another CONCACAF league is going to grab the trophy sooner or later. Starting next tournament, Mexicans teams are more likely to drop at the group stages thanks to the new format. One freaky result may suffice in some instances.

24. morange92

morange92 Member+

Jan 30, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ouch... yeah i guess i'll have to be a little patient... it's probably worse for me since i "root" for dc united since they are the local team, but i heard they aren't very good right now even for the MLS.

25. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    DC United's golden age was in 1998 when they were the first American team to win the (then) CONCACAF Champions Cup as well as the (now discontinued) Interamerican Cup. It is still the most notable achievement by any MLS team.

Anyway, big weekend coming up in Africa where the first round is coming to a close. Ghana's Berekum Chelsea hammered Raja Casablanca 5:0 in the first leg. TP Mazembe is finally back in action and has to defend a 1:1 draw from the first leg against Zambia's Power Dynamos:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKnAI4QrmKQ"]RESUME POWER DYNAMOS vs TP MAZEMBE - YouTube[/ame]