2012 FIFA Club World Cup: General In-Tournament Thread [R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Nov 24, 2012.

1. NuffSaid

NuffSaid BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jun 14, 2012
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I have given an opinion, I think the other football ie league games in the UK should be suspended during the time of the competition, therefore the public will not have the league games to focus on eg Liverpool fans are going to be FAR more concerned on Liverpool league games than they are on the competition. Also Chelsea wont have to be concerned about 'catch up' and therefore wont end up having a congested fixture list later in the season. The only way to do this is to have a 'winter break'. Of course this may not go down well with football supporters in the UK, the other thing that can be done is media attention, the competition could do with a bit more 'intense' media attention, of course another problem is the time that the games take place I know that the timing of games both in the time of year and the time of kick-off cant be helped and I AM NOT suggesting it should be changed just to accomodate the English, I am just saying it makes it a little more difficult to 'beef' up interest. Does this competition always take place in the far east?

2. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    No, it's been in the Middle East and next year and 2014 it will be in Morocco.
    In fact Iran and South Africa also expressed interests to host.

3. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Back when it was just the champions of Europe and South America in a one-off in Tokyo the kickoff was 12 noon Sunday local time. For us in the left coast of the U.S. it was a very convenient 7pm Saturday night. :cool:
    The switch to 7pm kickoffs Japan time began around '94 or '95. I know Ajax-Gremio in '95 was a night kickoff in Japan but not sure about the '94 edition.

4. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    if you read your own post you'll find some proof dont need me to get any

[]__[]

5. NuffSaid

Jun 14, 2012
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    How does what I say prove that he is over rated?? You havent given me anything to prove that he isnt regarded by many as the worlds best left back have you?? I am asking you to prove to me that he Lampard and Terry are nothing more than average players, find me something that tells us they are no more than journeymen. You told me that the Chelsea starting 11 was all foreigners, Ive shown you you are wrong, you now say that the English players in the team are not the best players at Chelsea, Ive told you to check out the statistics to show you again how wrong you are, you havent given me ANYTHING to back up your claims that they are overrated, nothing, give me something!

6. NuffSaid

Jun 14, 2012
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  7. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    do you even know the meaning of overrated.... it means people think a player is better than he really is.. you are proving it.. besides why you put a link of bleacherreport.. anybody can go in there and write their opinions ..... lampard is not part of chelsea's starting 11 so stop it.. he gets some games but the starters are ramires, mikel, mata, oscar and hazard... even romeu is getting more starts than him now with benitez...

the main CBs are luiz and ivanovic.. terry is not a starter.... as for cole he is a starter but is not one of the best players.. he's been overrated his entire career thanks to the british media that overhypes their players and their league all over the world.... cole is not half the player marcelo is

there are at least 10 LBs that i would pick ahead of cole ...

[]__[]

8. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    do you even know the meaning of overrated.... it means people think a player is better than he really is.. you are proving it.. besides why you put a link of bleacherreport.. anybody can go in there and write their opinions ..... lampard is not part of chelsea's starting 11 so stop it.. he gets some games but the starters are ramires, mikel, mata, oscar and hazard... even romeu is getting more starts than him now with benitez...

the main CBs are luiz and ivanovic.. terry is not a starter.... as for cole he is a starter but is not one of the best players.. he's been overrated his entire career thanks to the british media that overhypes their players and their league all over the world.... cole is not half the player marcelo is

there are at least 10 LBs that i would pick ahead of cole ...

[]__[]

9. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Well tell your friends that they are fools. This trophy makes you champions of the planet. The Capital One Cup, or COC for short, makes you champions of... nothing. Not even of England.

The side Cups don't compare to the 3 phases of the world journey: League-Champions League-CWC.

It's like a trilogy. The League campaign is like Star Wars. Thrilling, exciting, and leaves you wondering what the Rebels (your team) will do next. The CL is The Empire Strikes Back. Even more epic. The best part. Unforgettable. And finally, the CWC is Return of the Jedi. Not as great, but a necessary finale to tie all the loose ends.

Just don't let your DVR recordings of these games fall in the hands of someone who will add unnecessary CGI to them.

LGRod repped this.
  10. NuffSaid

Jun 14, 2012
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Lampard and Terry are both out with injuries!! They are both starters! Once again you write no facts whatsoever! Do you really believe John Terry is not an automatic shoe in when fit! Also I think you will find that Ivanovich is right back and Cahill (yes English) is playing with Luiz in Terrys absence. So Cole is overated you say? Where is your proof of this? All I can still see is your (wrong) opinion. Ive shown you a write up saying that he is the best left back in the world (not written by me, not written by a Chelsea supporter and not even written by the English press) now show me something that says he isnt at least one of the top ten!

11. NuffSaid

Jun 14, 2012
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Hey I'm just telling you the way it is, the English do not see this as a worthy competition, hell its only 2 or 3 games isnt it? You are probably right maybe we should take it more seriously, Ive put forward what I think FIFA, the FA and the media should do to help make is so, how are supporters supposed to take the competition seriously when it is practically ignored by the media?

12. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    The Champions League Final is not a worthy competition, hell it's only 1 game isn't it?

13. NuffSaid

Jun 14, 2012
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    But there are previous games against other teams from the same confederation thats the difference. I am not really looking for an argument over this, I am only stating the facts, supporters have the right to their opinions, if anybody is to blame for the 'lethargy' for this competition perhaps its the FA or the media. I am not saying the competition is bad as such but how do you expect me or other supporters to get excited about something weve hardly even heard of?

14. NuffSaid

Jun 14, 2012
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Do you know what the TV coverage for this competition like in other countries? Will the competition be shown live on Mexican TV?

15. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Um, all of Chelsea's previous games were against other teams from the same confederation in this instance too, so there is no difference. Once a confederation is conquered, it's time to take on others. That's exactly what's happening here, So you just stressed its importance by showing that teams finally leave their confed after brutally slogging in it. Which makes it all the more epic.

Swiss posted a link to worldwide TV coverage in the game thread. It's being shown everywhere. In Mexico, it will be live on free TV channel 5.

16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yup, even here in the USA this competition was dwarfed by the Manchester derby & West Ham v Liverpool plus what Messi was doing. Doesn't help that all the matches are played at 3-7:00 in the morning. But it's played at a pretty inconvenient time for a lot of the world. Plus domestic leagues continue with their matches as normal so its not like we are starving for football to the point where we can justify waking up in the middle of the night or taking time off work to watch Hyundai v Suzuki or whatever.

17. NuffSaid

Jun 14, 2012
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Thats a point Ive tried to make, the media in the UK is all about the Manchester Derby, they dont want to mention this competition at all, this is not being shown on the TV in the UK, most football fans in the UK have their own teams league games to worry about, they wont take any notice of the competition, all of these points will need to be addressed if they want the competition to be taken more seriously here in the UK.

18. NuffSaid

Jun 14, 2012
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I guess what I am trying to say is that if Chelsea were to beat 1 team from say, Mexico, they cant really claim to be better than all teams on the North American Continent or can they?? If I can find any of the games on TV or on delayed playback I will try and watch if I can, I actually would like discuss the games with other people on here, and I would like to learn a little more about teams from other areas of the world, I still hope and pray that Chelsea get no injuries!

19. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The Community Shield is a one-off yet Wembley always appears to be filled for that "pre-season curtain raiser".

20. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    That last line is a bit of a leap when it comes to Europe though. During the UEFA CL final nobody is thinking about playing in the CWC, they are just thinking about winning the CL.

Just because the CWC is at the top of the pyramid, doesn't mean it is the most prestigious. Just like the Confederations Cup isn't more prestigious than the continental championships, in fact it is far less important.

21. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Why not? They'd be on top of the chain of elimination. A reason we all love sports is because it mimics the jungle, where only the strong survive. Only the strongest among 1000s of worldwide football clubs will win the CWC. We are now down to 4, from 1000s. Just think of that. If you don't see the epicness of that, then you're not all there upstairs.

And it is being televised in the UK, Swiss has posted so multiple times. Wtf, you do live in a bubble. Thursday's game in on BBC HD and red button. Sunday's is on BBC 2.

22. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yup, and that will be a huge challenge because there is just way too much money in the Premier League to justify shutting it down for a full week so that 1 Premier League team could play for a World Championship at 10:00 in the morning on a Tuesday. It works at the international stage because the fan base of each participating team is an entire country.

23. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I'd bet 5/6 of the continental champions competing every year believe it is the most prestigious.

24. NuffSaid

Jun 14, 2012
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The red button is not something I can get access to, BBC2 is though! Why am I not 'all there upstairs'? I have already told you what the competition means in the UK and I am in the UK!! I have also put forward why I think that this is the case, who are you to judge what I should and should not watch or care about. As ludiruous as you find it that nobody in the UK cares about the competition I find it just as ludicrous that you do! There is no right or wrong to this you know! The charity shield does not usually fill Wembley and believe me it is not considered a major trophy in the UK - it is a friendly which is (suprise suprise) played for charity.

25. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, at least 4/6. I think opinions could go either way in South America.

The reason so many people want UEFA teams/fans to take this competition as seriously as the rest of the word is because if it isn't a big priority for 1 team (especially the best team), it takes away from the entire tournament. I know people might object to this, but this tournament won't reach its potential until Europe views it as highly as everyone else. That's also why I rate the Copa Libertadores higher than CWC. Not only the great history , but more importantly every team involved views it as a major priority to win.

Karloski repped this.