2012 FIFA Club World Cup: General In-Tournament Thread [R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    You are stuck on a technicality, arguing semantics. So what if FIFA doesn't flat out add the two, they still recognize the IC as a major accomplishment - see their Inter Milan club profile as an example.
    It baffles me how some want to throw out 40 years of history just because it lacks what they perceive as full FIFA validation. Who cares! Where was FIFA before 2000? Anyone who has followed this competition more than a couple of years knows that this is, for all intents and purposes, a direct continuation of the IC.

2. Argentine Futbol

Argentine Futbol Red Card

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The IC wasn't absorbed or taken over. it completely stopped. The Conmebol is waiting for the Sponsorship to Start it up again with the Recopa Champions of South America and the Super Cup of Europe. Talks were in the works but you never know.

3. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    I can't see that happening.

In fact, if I was Conmebol, I would concentrate on Asia, probably more money their, just like the Sudamerica winners play the J.League Cup winners I'd try and get the Recopa winners play the ACL Winners.

Any South American team playing in Asia would make money from a Conmebol point of view. We don't really need this game, but it would certainly build relationships for other commercial reasons.

4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Uruguay claims the same when they say they should have 4 stars on their logo, they won the 2 Olympic games prior to the world cup.

5. Argentine Futbol

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We already have the Suruga Cup. You never know

6. Santista1962

Santista1962 Red Card

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Read your history.

Real Madrid wanted to state they were world champions after winning the IC in 1960 but FIFA blocked that because it did not include the champions of the other continents. CONCACAF wanted to get involved but both UEFA and CONMEBOL said no. So FIFA told them that the winners be named simply "Intercontinental Cup winners" or be labeled as friendlies.

Never mind the European champions' withdrawals in the 1970s...it became very clear in 2001 when the Copa Libertadores final was between Boca Juniors and Cruz Azul from Mexico. Before the final, CONMEBOL and UEFA clearly stated that, regardless of who won the final, Boca Juniors will be the one participating, no questions asked. So from there one could see that the competition was just one between South America and Europe, regardless of who was the best.

There has been many attempts from the 1960's till the 1990's to create a World Club championship which was mainly blocked by UEFA and Toyota (who became the sponsor in 1980). In Toyota's contract with CONMEBOL and UEFA, it stipulated that no one could decline to participate or face a very heavy lawsuit as Toyota was paying both confederations money to hold the competition in Japan. Barcelona experienced this in 1992 but had to recant their intention to not participate since an international lawsuit would be very costly. Of course, Marseille not participating in 1993 was a special case altogether.

Here is more on this: http://hemeroteca.mundodeportivo.co...na-8/1259619/pdf.html?search=Intercontinental

7. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    There was a time when FIFA had on their website a list of "classic clubs", and the only clubs that were included were those that had won the Intercontinental Cup, Toyota Cup and FIFA Club World Championship/Cup.
    Here's a capture of that FIFA webpage from December 2008. (The club links still work)
    At the very least, this tells me that as late as 2008 FIFA equated the old Intercontinental Cup to the present FIFA Club World Cup. When/why they decided to change their stance, who knows.

8. la saeta rubia

Aug 1, 2010
    Argentina/España
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    And possibly Pato to Corinthians.Argentina too is beginning to see the possibility of top players returning.South American futbol remains strong with many contenders to win the leagues in Brasil and Argentina unlike Europe where all are about two or maybe three teams.Brasilian friends dont take too much notice of bosteros hes probably one of those wrecking nueve de julio

9. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Already ordered my Corinthians jersey with the CWC Patch on it.

BiCampeaoooo ale ale ale oooooooooo

BiCampeaoooo ale ale ale oooooooooooooo

10. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    And has FIFA's super duper ruling stopped anyone from using the term world champion?

[​IMG]

Better tell your team to get those two stars removed. Sorry Pele, due to a technicality you are no longer bi-campeon in club football. Better tell Sao Paulo to remove two red stars as well, not to speak of those Estudiantes jerseys I saw two years ago who dared to equate a IC victory to a world title.
    You realize that rule is still in effect - right? No Mexican team can represent CONMEBOL.

Look, I too wish the others would have been involved sooner but the reality is club football on other continents was not relevant quality wise until the 90's. Some (not me) would still say it isn't since no challenger has been able to win in what now amonts to nine FCWC editions. No Mexican club has won Libertadores either and on those grounds I don't want to throw away 40 years of tournament history. Yes the tournament struggled in the 70's until Toyota stepped in but there were some terrific matches in the old IC, certainly better than the circus FIFA created in Brazil 2000 out of sheer arrogance towards Toyota. We could have had the competition merger back in 2000. But you probably consider that tournament more valid simply because it had the almighty FIFA label on it.

Anyway, this too is a tired old discussion.

View it as an extension or don't view it as extension. Most of us who have followed the competition for decades as well as players and coaches see it as an extension.

11. la saeta rubia

Aug 1, 2010
    Argentina/España
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Everybody who had an interest in futbol consider it the pne competition.On Telecinco Julio Maldonado wad speaking of how Corinthians win levelled the record bewtween South America and Europe

12. Argentine Futbol

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Those clubs from other Confederations can't compete today with UEFA and Conmebol. Can you imagine 20, 30 or 50 years ago? LMAO... In a time when South America had all its stars? For Shits and Giggles I would have loved to Alberto Spencer's Peñarol or Di Stefano's Real madrid against some Asian, African or Concacaf Club. HAHAHAH

13. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    tourneys over close thread imo

14. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    [​IMG]

Corinthians departed from Narita international Airport early Monday morning for an 11 hour flight to Frankfurt, landing around 3pm Central European Time (CET).
    The team is staying Germany for 8 hours after which they will depart for Sao Paulo, arrival time at Guarulhos expected to be on Tuesday at 7:05 am.
    Upon arrival, the team will parade in a trio elétrico, final destination has yet to be finalized. The club prefers the celebrations take place at Anhembi events center but have been told by city officials that it is unavailable. Since Pacaembu is owned by the Prefeitura Municipal the team must now set up a meeting with São Paulo mayor Gilberto Kassab in order to get approval for the use of their home ground.

15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Not a good reason to close a thread normally, but in this case I guess everyone has made their opinion clear on the topic at hand by now. Of course the fact that such differing opinion exists on the importance of this tourney also kind of tells you all you need to know.

16. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    They are done.. yet they would be starters in every club in Italy, Germany and CL and La liga outside of Barca and Real...

17. Santista1962

Santista1962 Red Card

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Apparently ruing from Bayern's home defeat to Chelsea about half-a-year ago, the club was congratulated by many Germans in Frankfurt lol (I know...it ain't Munich but Bayern is a big team so it must have fans everywhere).

http://www.gazetaesportiva.net/noti...mas-na-primeira-parte-da-viagem-de-volta.html

unclesox repped this.