2012 End of Season Evaluations

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Boloni86, Nov 18, 2012.

1. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like Ben taking the responsibility for Hamdi's rust. Something you'd expect a good coach to do for an important player. I hope he's around next year for Ben to use him properly.

Alejandro 10 and UnitedForever12 repped this.
  2. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that--also, his hands were really tied in the 1st leg vs. HOU given the injuries.

3. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    The term "Designated Player" skews everything and makes it difficult to assess true value.

Salihi didn't fit the starting role that Ben envisioned for him and by the time DeRo got hurt, the team was essentially boxed into playing a defensive style that needed a fulltime guy up front to harrass and take a pounding (Pajoy - arguments of his effectiveness aside).

I think with a fresh new start to next season and perhaps some new elements added (i,e.. new signings to suppliment Ben's ultimate vision) Salihi can be useful.

I just think that by the time the summer rolled around, Salihi was a better second-half sub than a starter (stats certainly supported that) and that became his role. The fact that he is a DP really makes this a difficult situation.

Normally, not playing a DP is an automatic ticket out of town, but Salihi did have some use for this team and filled a vital role for them. You shouldn't automatically jettison him because he didn't score a dozen goals. You have to remember that the forwards for this team did score quite a few goals. DeRo and Pontius spent most of the season moving back and forth between the forward spots and scoring goals. Even if you take them out of the equation, Salihi-Santos-Pajoy-Tan still scored 17 goals. If you add in the half dozen or so goals scored when DeRo/Pontius played, that figure easily goes over 20 goals.

Also throw in the fact that United essentially played a 1/3 of the season with only one striker, then over 20 goals scored from your forwards isn't that bad of a total. It's not San Jose or the Galaxy, but it's certainly more than most other MLS teams this season.

That being said, I'd be shocked to see both Pajoy and Santos with the team next year. I think Santos being younger and cheaper might be the deathknell for Pajoy (I know 95% of the fans want him gone). Also, you have to remember that Pajoy filled a specific role for this team down the stretch that I seriously doubt Olsen will employ at the beginning of next season. The Pajoy as a lone forward was done because the goals were drying up from DeRo (before he was hurt) and Santos and was firmly in play once DeRo went out and forced Olsen to go to a more defensive strategy.

Salihi is under contract at least thru 2013. Unless he get's transferred, he'll be with this team. I think Olsen will give him an opportunity during training camp to win one of the two forward spots. It will be up to him at that point to decide whether or not he is worthy.

GumbyG, mosca and DC06 repped this.
  4. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? Recent drafts

2012 - Nick DeLeon
    2011 - Perry Kitchen, Chris Korb, Joe Willis
    2010 - well okay
    2009 - Chris Pontius, Rodney Wallace

and now we're about to see kids with academy experience coming into the drafts

Real Mobile and Winoman repped this.
  5. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Salihi left Rapid Vienna because his new manager emphasized a counterattacking style and Salihi's strength was and is as a "poacher," (his previous manager's style). As a poacher, he scored 44 goals in 70 appearances. So, if Ben is going to continue his defense first, then counterattack philosophy, Salihi isn't a good fit. But next year, with DeRo coming back, Pontius healthy, and Boskovic doing his smooth, clever attacking role, I think Ben should change to an attacking-first approach, in which case Salihi should be starting.

6. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    True but, we are no longer what the NBA would call a lottery team [high draft slot], and the talent coming in the draft [while never guarantee'd no matter how highly rated] doesnt really seems to be that impressive. Especially the academy kids.

7. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra

Looking at that list, is it fair to say we are now a team that actually drafts well? You add Hamid and Najar (homegrown) to that list and you have a pretty good team. Hell, you have our starting team down the stretch save Pajoy (questionable) and a few others -- many of whom are likely to go in the offseason.

Sure hope they can find a way to keep improving. With a solid young core that plays for each other and a couple of good leader vets (and someone, anyone who can score goals and isn't a schmuck in the locker room) the team could be a lot of fun to watch.

8. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pajoy needs to be cut. Now.

My dream scenario is a news conference announcing
    1.) Pajoy has been cut
    2.) Stadium deal is done
    3.) [insert name here] big-money DP has been signed

Ourblackandred repped this.
  9. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    Not sure I understand all the anti-Pajoy vitriol. He was exactly as advertised -- a pedestrian player with grit, a hold up player in a very defensive lineup, a mid level striker who didn't strike enough. Nothing in his earlier MLS career makes me think we should have been surprised.

Given the formation I think he did pretty well. Against good teams we needed to have the capacity to score, but really only Pontius (Deleon at the end) were real scorers of who we had on the field by season end.

Tip of the hat for his good service. If he's a sub next year, I'm ok with it. But if we were hoping somehow he'd find his golden boots once moving from Philly, well, that's crazy talk. Paired with another striker I don't know what he could do. But he didn't cause our untimely exit. A missed red card, an extra two game suspension, a saved ball off the line in HOU and a couple other things were much bigger factors IMHO.

10. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Pajoy actually looked like a better player in Philly ...

The way we used him did not flatter his skillset

11. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. He's got this year under his belt, he knows what is expected of him and Olsen knows what he can do. If he's still here, he will be used frequently and put in a position to succeed. Kind of like how it took Boskovic such a long time to find his footing, or for the staff to put their faith in him.

12. UnitedForever12

Mar 29, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    i'd really like us to keep Salihi, as well as extend Bosko's contract next summer. He really came on strong the second half of the season when given a proper chance

13. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry, but the way he used his skillset did not flatter him.

I'm going to evaluate the season this way. Who's up, and who's down?

UP
    Korb-- this guy, despite his limitations, had a monster season. he was asked to back up old man Russell, who mostly played terribly, and when he got his chances, he didn't really light the world on fire either. Then he was basically told after a few games that this guy Najar is better than him and the future right back of the team. That should be a mental blow for a young player. Then he was asked to play left back. And he exceeded expectations. He has things to learn about defense and work to do on his left foot, but he really did an admirable job down the stretch. Given his ability to go forward in a limited capacity and to defend, and moter his wheels, and a seeming fire not to give up, he seems like a good possibility as a true "flank" player. I could definitely see him as a defensive sub for Pontius, if he is still employed on the left side next year. Or, DeLeon for that matter. Or for anyone on the right side as well. He's basically shown he would be useful to play 4 different positions on the field and that is something I prize highly.

Pontius--- but just barely. The difference I saw this year is ability to really take a game to the other team and force them to adjust to him. That's the next step for him, and he took it. Still a ways to go, but if he continues in that fashion, he will be what we need him to be, which, IMO, is a replacement for Dero.

McDonald-- Somewhere along the way, he sorta stopped trying to be Etcheverry and just started concentrating on playing good D an movin the ball around in a simple fashion. This is all he needs to do. Be physical, be quick, mark, and not cough up the ball. He did that.

Jakovic-- whether he got better, or his partnership with his fellow CB finally developed, I dunno, but he had probably his best year with us-- mistakes included.

Woolard-- was perfect for us later on until he got injured. He needs to continue that path in order to exceed the expectations we had for him and be consistent and lock down a spot on the field, with Korb pushing him.

Najar-- but just barely, and only because he embraced and performed at RB. He is a lot like Korb, but just technically better, and having that danger out of the back that occupies the oppposing LM is key for this team.

Kitchen-- obvious. Playing brilliantly most of the time, considering his experience.

DeLeon-- obvious. Seems to have a fight and fire that I wasn't sure he was going to have, which when matched with his skill set, means can be a great flank player for us.

Saragosa-- up because he got the job done. He was terrible in spots, and he's not for the future, but if he can reproduce this year next year, that's all we can ask for from a backup, IMO.

Neal-- we got our money's worth, and then some, IMO.

Willis-- continues to show he has the basic capabilities to have a job in this league. We can't ask for much more really.

Hamid-- up, only because of some improvement in consistency. He needs to continue to grow up, and one of these days we'll be thinking he's automatic in goal because he'll stop making dumb mistakes.

Augusto--- Despite the killer mistake, I thought he did great in his minutes considering the circumstances. I'd like to see more.

DOWN
    Boskovic-- despite whatever the reasons are, I'm coming around to the idea that he just doesn't have enough urgency to succeed here. He's calm, composed, and talented, and I think he cares a lot, but he just doesn't play with the urgency or speed that is required in this league. Perhaps he can finaly set that right next year under different circumstances, but I'm skeptical.

Dero--- hard to replicate last year. It is what it is.

Pajoy-- I'm only saying down because this guy squandered so many chances to score. No matter what he can do, if that's something he can't do, it's not good enough. Not for anything more than #3 or 4 in depth. And at his price, I dunno if that cuts it.

Dudar-- Very similar to Boskovic in some ways. A player of his ability has to be able to get off the bench more. When he played, he did some good, and some bad, and I'd like to think that's because he never got enough minutes.

King-- say hello to the waiver wire.

White-- I know there's 3 good guys in front of you, and you were hurt, but you need to make a case to get on the field. Clearly taken steps backward.

PUSH (everyone else gave what was expected, with this one note)

Salihi-- Barring the unknown contraversy, this guy clearly has what it takes to get the job done in our league. However, we almost never used him effectively, or approached games in a way that he could succeed. I think he should have had more chances than he got, but I understand tactically what happened in teh second half of the season. Next year, if we take this to the next level of actually dictating play on other teams and we adjust our formation a bit, Salihi will score goals. Otherwise, we need to ship him out because it's a waste for both parties.

14. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    You didn't rate Russell and Santos. I'll take that as a "they suck".

15. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I said everyone else was a PUSH. I got about what I expected from them. Take that however you want. :D

16. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    K

I'll stick with "they suck"

17. Oveki8

Oveki8 Member+

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Methinks Pajoy, Santos, Tan and Russell can be unloaded.

18. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you can keep one of Pajoy/Santos, but not both. strange as it may sound, Pajoy might be the better move because we have nobody who can hold up like he does. santos' skill set is replaceable with players already on the roster.

I think Tan will be invited to camp and have to earn his place, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him do it.

And I think Russell might just stick around, cause remember the reason he came here in the first place-- he's not going anywhere else probably. He will either play for less, earn his spot, or maybe transition kinda like Wolf did this year-- or just retire.

19. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    IIRC this was Jakovic's fourth year with the club. Is he able to leave on a free this winter? His dparture would be a great loss, he's partnered with McDonald and has a skillset that can move the ball forward and disrupt the opponent's midfield defense.

20. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goff update today. He is out of contract and can do whatever he wants, but it appears both parties want to make it happen. I think he'll be back.

21. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    He has a new contract.

22. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Oh dear God, don't let Jakovic go.

23. UnitedForever12

Mar 29, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Jakovic just inked a new deal

24. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that might be what we see. I'd like to see us keep Santos and replace Pajoy, tho. He's served us well, and I like him as a sub, but I don't like that we have to choose between sending on our best high-pressure hold up forward and someone who can score. That's a combined skill set worth paying good money for. Ditto with Tan and speed.

Agree on Russell. He's good depth, and he should end his career here. If he's still playing next year, I'd be glad to have him on the roster at a reasonable wage. Experience counts on the practice field and in the locker room, too.

25. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kasper's interview with Goff makes it pretty clear that Salihi will be gone. I can hardly contain my rage.