2012 CWC: SC Corinthians - Chelsea FC (Final) [R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Dec 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    If I had to pick "great and stable" teams from Europe, my choice would be limited to a few. In the last 3-4 years, Barcelona, Manchester United and Bayern. That's very much it. Atletico has flashes of brilliance, and Milan and Real Madrid have flashes of "dumb." Manchester City is a team that totally deflated outside England.

In South America, picking a "great and stable" team is harder since the players keep moving to Europe. But I'd say Sao Paulo, Santos, Velez and Boca are the closest to it. U de Chile is as inconsistent as Real, and Libertad (a team whose style I like a lot) deflates a bit in continental competitions (not as badly as ManCity, fortunately).

2. la saeta rubia

Aug 1, 2010
    Argentina/España
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Corinthians were clearly superior.I am not a fan of their style but they dictated the game.Mata and Lampard yet again being shown to be lightweigth.Cassio Andre Emerson Paulinho Ralf and Guerrero played well.With Pato suppodly signing they will be tough nuts to crack in 2013 Libertadores

3. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Pato signing and not signing are pretty much the same deal :ROFLMAO:

4. la saeta rubia

Aug 1, 2010
    Argentina/España
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Your point is ?

5. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    What were THE BEST euro teams in FCWC since 2005?

I say:

1- Barcelona (2011) - Winner over Santos
    2- Barcelona (2006)- Lost to Internacional
    3- Barcelona (2009) - Beat Estudiantes 2-1
    4- Milan (2007) - Beat Boca 4x2

In the bottom somewhere

Chelsea (2012)

Dont remember the rest

6. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It was a joke ... because he is always injured ... get it ... :rolleyes:

7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Barca 09 are better than 06.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  8. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
  9. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    I guess this Joke won't work anymore:

I wont root for Corinthians as they lose even in the Bible:
    Corinthians 2 Verse 3

10. la saeta rubia

Aug 1, 2010
    Argentina/España
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    True but the indifference is feigned.I just checked the semi final v Monterrey and final were shown live on BBC.The match was shown live in practically every European country.I saw it live on Telecinco Spains most popular channel.I was here last yr when Barca won and it was a big deal.
    Europes f...ed its futbol only surviving by Russian mafia corrupt sheiks and vulture bond holders.
    We arent halfway thru the season and La liga is over the epl is almost.Compare that to South America and realize how lucky we are to have clubs whatever their failings

11. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've had to delete a few posts. This is not a rivalries forum and people who insist on treating it as such risk losing the privilege of posting here.

12. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Is the FA Cup available to every single club on the planet?

It is ignorant to not understand the magnitude of this trophy. No other trophy in sports has more clubs eligible.

And you can't judge Corinthians according to league results, they already had their Lib ticket punched, who knows how they would have finished if they didn't.

13. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    This is not necessarily true.

If you look at recent years, when Brazilian teams won the Libertadores, they experience a post-Copa "lull" in which they are not in the top rankings of the league. This is understandable. They've exerted incredible energy and effort in winning the Libertadores, there's no real mid-year break (as the Libertadores ends after the league begins), and once the Libertadores title has been won, the players of the winning team do relax a bit.

Santos finished the 2011 league in 10th place.
    Internacional finished the 2011 league in 7th place and the 2006 league in 2nd place.*
    SPFC finished the 2005 league in 11th place.

Note that all these teams had already assured a spot in the following year's Libertadores, which is a prize that the Brasileiro winner and runner-up get (3rd and 4th place get a berth in the Libertadores playoff).

Corinthians had a great second half of the league, going several games unbeaten, and came close to actually breaking into the top 5.

Corinthians and Fluminense were the best teams in Brazil in 2012 - the former won the continent; the latter won the league, and by a wide margin.

*In 2006, Internacional kept up its momentum and finished in second place, but SPFC, who won the league, won by a wide margin. Still, to finish 2nd in the league in the same year the Libertadores was won is impressive.

14. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    This is all speculation and you can't prove it. Yes, SPFC beat them 3-1, and I enjoyed that win, but how can you say they wouldn't get out of a group? They had an excellent run in the second half of the league. The team just beat Chelsea. Corinthians wouldn't get out of the group stage?

Vasco is a good team, but it sputtered at the end. It was in the G-4 for several weeks, and when it mattered most, it choked. SPFC was not in the G-4 until later in the league, it came together, won when it had to, and surpassed Vasco. I would take Corinthians over Vasco any day right now.

15. JohnBarnesTheLegend

Jan 15, 2012
    Cheshire, England
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    its a pain for european teams, and english would sooner win an FA Cup

and i wager corinthians would sooner win a brasilian championship

it just doesnt carry the weight it should, my coment was made in response to being told that i should find this trophy more prestige then an fa cup, sorry I and my country dont.

16. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    In Brazil this is the biggest trophy. Libertadores second, Brasileirao third, Copa do Brasil, Sudamericana, state championships.

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  17. JohnBarnesTheLegend

Jan 15, 2012
    Cheshire, England
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Then you need to come to europe and hit us over the head or something because we just dont rate it.

probably because there is no champions league style money, and because the teams from the other 4 continents are generally weak

18. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    We hardly ever seem to have these tired discussions when Spanish or Italian clubs are involved.

19. JohnBarnesTheLegend

Jan 15, 2012
    Cheshire, England
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    with real italians or plastics?

sorry this trophy would not come close to a la liga or serie a title

jog on swiss boy, so nice try at edit but no you are wrong

20. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
  21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    That's why I wrote "playing a superior brand of footie" and "IMO." I've watched all those teams play recently, and they all have impressed me more than Corinthians. Were they matched in a R16 home-and-away do-or-die matchup in the Libertadores, right now I'd bet on them over Corinthians.

As for the post-Lib lull, the same can be said about many teams in the Champs League. They also get a free pass to the next edition if they win the whole enchilada, that's why Chelsea was there this time around. Often the teams can sort themselves after a while, but some clubs have owners, fans and board directors who don't give them time to settle, and their problems grow bigger instead of diminishing.

Actually, my whole point is that form changes fast. These tournaments are unlikely to pit the best teams in a confederation for the simple fact that they can drop from worthy champs to second raters in a matter of two weeks. Heck, the same can be said about the continental tournaments, where a team may qualify topping the Apertura, and get relegated in the Clausura, meaming a second div team will be competing among the best first division clubs of a continent.

Or win the national cup, while getting relegated in the league, producing the same result. See Palmeiras.

22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Just been reading a bunch of UK newspapers online, and from the message boards, I don't think you represent anyone but yourself.

23. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    did the people in England care when the first WC took place?

now your obsessed with it

24. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Remember it well. It was a move that brought Man Utd such ridicule that no English club would dare do something like that again.

25. la saeta rubia

Aug 1, 2010
    Argentina/España
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    They would do it everytime because the the Asian market keeps them afloat but pleease clubs spare us teams you mean you dont have clubs you have the sheiks team the oligarchs team the vulture funds team etc but you havent had "clubs" for a long time.