2012 CONCACAF Under-20 Women's Championship [R]

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by Mister Crossbar, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Full marks to the US, they dominated the play and put immense pressure on the Canadian backline. I really think the descision to defend the one goal lead was a huge mistake by the Canadian coach. You can't defend a lead and allow a great side like the US, chance after chance on goal.

Canada was fully expecting to ride Sabrina D'Angelo's back and keep the Americans shut out, and for 78 minutes it worked.

There were some good performances on both sides. Both Maya Hayes and Linsay Horan played good games. Both had multiple good scoring chances with Maya finally scoring. The one player I felt disappear was Katie Stengel, she really was marked out of the contest in this game.

I think the whole American midfield played superb. They constantly won balls and broke up attacks before they could be built upon. The defense didn't have much pressure to worry about, but part of that was Canada defending their lead. The one mistake on Crystal Dunn's part wasn't costly, so overall a good effort by most of the team.

Canada had a few standouts. Sabrina D'Angelo, well I think its safe to say she is going to be a force in the SEC. She literally was carrying Canada there for long stretches. I think South Carolina is going to be an intresting team to watch.

Jenna Richardson was another player that played very well. When she did get the ball and was able to attack with it, she was a force on the field, and created alot of headaches for the American defense, and Jenna would frequently track back and mark forwards and help out the defense.

The Canadian backline as a whole. Melhado, Davis, Hill and Zadorsky, especially Melhado. All four played very well, and kept the Americans in check for most of the game. They made Katie Stengel disappear in the game, and that is hard to do.

In final, the Americans found themselves behind for the first time in the tournament but through alot of grit and determination, they put immense pressure on the defense of Canada, and finally broke it. The US will be a very dangerous team going to the world cup. Ton of firepower, pace and ball movement.

2. shreddir

shreddir Member

Mar 15, 2005
    The question I have is Duke Coach Robbie Church going to continue to use Molly Pathman as a forward during her upcoming junior and senior year ACC college battles or will he put her at left back like what the National Team staff wants her to be?

3. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    pathman has good attacking instincts, but i don't think she has the pace or defending skill to go up against above average attackers.

she was beaten like a drum by stanford's right back in the ncaa final.

don't know who we have that's better tho.

4. FLSoccer_15

FLSoccer_15 New Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, it was Dayton. She is our HS keeper and plays on our top U17 club team. She did well considering it was like 1v1 finishing training. The defense was absent and just about every field position was weak. Panama was not fit, their technical skills are weak and their is no continuity to their play. It was a shame for Dayton's sake, but it was good experience for her.