2012 College Cup

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Hararea, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    The matchup between Maryland and Georgetown has gotten the attention of WashPo columnist Mike Wise, who also hosts a local radio show. To be clear, this isn't an article but an opinion piece written by one of the paper's lead columnists.

It's mostly about the silliness of the two schools refusing to play each other because of a pissing match that few can agree on the origins of, but it's still cool that this game is getting this kind of "mainstream" sports media attention.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...ee7c4a-3ff3-11e2-ae43-cf491b837f7b_story.html

2. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Not sure how I missed the games - thought they were today, not yesterday. Georgetown 3-2 Maryland counts as a mild upset, I guess, but Indiana 16-12 Creighton. WTF! Highlights, please.

3. Well Duh

Well Duh Member

Jul 17, 2008
    yes especially when you arbitrarily make the MPSF, IVY and Hopkins majors in all the other sports they win...

4. ksc7

ksc7 Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Club:
    Karlsruher SC
    what are u talking about ?? those are the teams seeds! haha

5. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    28 goals scored? Not missing this! Where is the Defense?

6. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005

It'd be pretty amusing to see you try to argue that Hopkins isn't a major independent in lax or that the MPSF isn't a major in the sports where everybody knows it is. The only call I made where there might be disagreement is the Ivies in lacrosse, since they've fallen off from their historical position. But in that case, it hardly matters. They haven't won a title in over a decade.

7. padgman1

padgman1 Member

Nov 17, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Looking back...........

Creighton beat IU 1-0 last fall at IU with Gomez being relegated to substitute duty because he was coming off an injury........I was at that game, and Creighton had the better of play even without Gomez on the field.

WITH Gomez on the field, and with Pitter's ability to score, I be very afraid for IU.....Bushue and Petts will have to contain Gomez for IU to keep Creighton's scoring chances to a minimum.......

fknbuflobo repped this.
  8. Well Duh

Well Duh Member

Jul 17, 2008
    The point that I am making and that you just made for me is that there are sports where success fall outside of the majors as described. Soccer is one of them

Saying soccer is unique is kind of silly when there are a number of sports that have the same situation Your analysis made those other sports disappear as you removed schools that have emphasized the particular sports more than the majors by claiming them as majors.

When the SEC barely plays soccer and the BiG and Pac 12 and ACC have less than full participation it clearly puts soccer in the same light as lax water polo volleyball and the like.

9. Not Vago

Not Vago Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if you saw the Creighton-Princeton game earlier in the season, in which Creighton luckily escaped with an overtime victory, you wouldn't care much about how many goals Creighton scores because I have to think Zavaleta will shred their defense.
    The problem will be if Bushue plays overly physical because Gomez goes down pretty easy and will likely draw some cards.

10. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul
    Men's hockey would show a similar pattern: most championships won by one of three "power" conferences: WCHA, Hockey East, CCHA (the other major conferences being ECAC, AHA).

From 1970-2012 (inclusive), WCHA has won 21/43 of the championships = 48.8%. Hockey East has won 10/43 = 23.2%. CCHA has won 7/43 = 16.2%.

The percent would go down slightly for WCHA if I just did the last 32 years and Hockey East percentage would go up slightly. The conference breakdown of the runners-up was similar to the champions, although I just eyeballed it.

Otherwise, I'm headed home soon to watch the first game. I have a "cold."

Hararea repped this.
  11. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    1. In sports that aren't sponsored by the Pac-12, the MPSF is a major conference, period. By failing to acknowledge this, you come across as though you don't know what you're talking about.
    2. Aside from that, your objection applies to one sport: lacrosse, where the traditional "major" label is dubious at best. But again, that's one sport. It doesn't have a big impact on the analysis.

Are there other sports where you get as many titles and serious title contenders coming from non-major conferences? Golf is one, but there aren't many others.

12. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Maybe we can debate whether golf is even a sport - after the College Cup is over.

JoeSoccerFan, Sandon Mibut and Hararea repped this.
  13. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    You don't have to go back very far to when there were only 4 conferences in ice hockey. That may distort the numbers a little.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  14. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
  15. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm rooting for Creighton.

16. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Not enjoying the commentators so far. Too much irrelevant chit-chat, not enough of the players' names.

Venue looks good, attendance a little sparse.

17. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    great flick into the box and Tshuma scores for Maryland. 1-0 Terps.

18. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Could've been three assists on that one. The flick was Mullins, I think the cross was Stertzer, and I'm not sure who slipped the ball through to Stertzer. Quality goal. 1-0 midway through the first half.

19. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Interesting the Penso is running the middle of this one. He's the one who called the controversial but probably correct handball at the start of OT in the Akron-Creighton game.

21. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Georgetown Hoyas tie it up 1-1

22. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Glenn Davis: "Georgetown forces an unforced error...":eek:

JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  23. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Golazzo!

Steve Neumann, welcome to Generation adidas.

24Seven repped this.
  24. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neumann scores off the post and in for his second goal. 2-1 Georgetown

25. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Nice video by ESPN to go back and show the Terps' goal was offside.

If Maryland gets an equalizer, that will loom very large, obviously.