2012 College Cup

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Hararea, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    If you want to make that comparison, by all means post it yourself.

I note that Maryland and Indiana have similar populations, so the original comparison looks valid to me.

2. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Thanks for the report. From a TV perspective, the atmosphere in the semis seemed dead, the final seemed better.

Corrado also ruined his shooting angle by dribbling straight into Gomez on his right foot. Can he use his left? (I first noticed his finishing weakness when he failed to convert two great chances against UNC.)

That late shot would've been quite a fluke. Despite protecting a lead, Soffner hadn't needed to make a single save in the second half, and only needed to make two all game. I thought IU was very good defensively, both individually (Konstanski, Bradford) and collectively. One of the better spots on TV was how much emphasis the IU coaches were placing on getting pressure on Christianson and Dillon in the Georgetown midfield. By doing this, they funneled the Hoya attack down the sides, where they mostly fizzled.

padgman1 repped this.
  3. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I wasn't sure what you were getting at, but I know from a recruiting perspective, Maryland goes after the "BEST" players in MD, VA and DC.. as well as those with National recognition, EVERY YEAR, so across 4 years of students, unliley to have more than 4-5 from any particular area... considering the mix of players, that number decreases for the starting lineup...

Not knowing for sure, I would say that for a kid from Indiana, playing at Indiana is the Cats meow... In the DC metro Area, spreading out 150 miles in all directions.. there are a fair number of options...

I know a number of kids from the market area who considered Maryland, but after talking through the realities of playing time during recruitment.. chose another path...

4. padgman1

padgman1 Member

Nov 17, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

Let alone keeping Neumann to ONE shot that faded wide.........and ONE shot by Allen that was saved by Soffner.......

5. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was away so I couldn't watch sunday's game. Just wanted to say congrats to the Indiana Hoosiers for winning the national title.

6. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    The original point made by mdc was that in the past, you couldn't have won a national title with so many players hailing from Indiana. My own point is that very few teams win with a recruiting base anywhere near as narrow as IU's has been. (Notably, they're adding more out-of-state players next year.)

IU has some great loyal support, but that's by no means a gimme. Two of the very best Indiana players of this generation went out of state, Dylan Mares to Louisville and Perry Kitchen to Akron, and next year, U-18 national teamer Travis Wannemuehler leaves for NC State.

7. mdc00

mdc00 Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, Hararea correctly summarizes my point. (Here's the post I put in the IU thread, for anyone interested: https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/indiana-hoosiers-2012.1953538/page-7.) If, when building the IU program, Jerry Yeagley had had his choice of any and every player from the state of Indiana, but had been required to rely primarily on those players ... well, that wouldn't have worked out very well. The fact that his son is now able to win a title while primarily relying on players from Indiana is an indication of the enormous improvement in the quality of players coming out of the Hoosier State. (It's not just basketball anymore!)

Sandon Mibut repped this.