2012 Amway Canadian Championship

Discussion in 'Montreal Impact' started by EPJr, Apr 9, 2012.

1. THE OUTFIT

THE OUTFIT Member

Dec 19, 2011
    South Shore
    Club:
    AEK Athens
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I don't mind losing to any club whether its toronto or chivas it's the effort put forward that counts and to lose in such a fashion were you practically submit to your competitor with no passion and sence of urgency thinking that it was just a formality I really hope the win to kc did not go to there heads and the thought that they became a mls club after only 10 games of existence.

The day after Is we're it really hits when youve had the time to dissect the match and it hits you square in the jaw with a steel toe boot!!!

2. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ACC:
    Late barrage books 'Caps place in final

VANCOUVER, B.C. – It got a bit hairy at times, but the Vancouver Whitecaps are through to the Amway Canadian Championship final mostly thanks to two goals from Sebastien Le Toux.

Vancouver’s 3-1 win over FC Edmonton at BC Place on Wednesday gave the club a 5-1 aggregate win over the two-legged tie.

Yashir Pinto put the scare into the ‘Caps on 54 minutes and put Edmonton within a goal of levelling the tie, before substitute Le Toux beat David Monsalve with a goal in the 75th minute and tallied a second in the 87th minute.

Darren Mattocks, making his return from burn injuries suffered in late March in a cooking accident, scored an insurance goal with the game’s final kick to round out the win.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/05/10/acc-late-barrage-books-caps-place-final

3. claw hammer

claw hammer Member

Jun 2, 2010
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Yep tho TFC needs to take the league seriously as well. ;) Maybe you guys got a decent defense pairing finally. Good luck against Vancouver .. they really got swelled heads and they're not that good. KC toyed with them and we beat KC, so what's that say. They're not as good as they like to think.

4. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    It's time for a true Canadian Open Cup
    With three MLS teams North of the Border, another in the second-tier NASL and a second to come in Ottawa in the next couple years – not to mention the ever-growing and improving ranks of amateur clubs in Canada – why haven’t we figured out a better way to do this?

Canada has grown so much in soccer terms over the last decade. The game has never been healthier, the country is set to host the Women’s World Cup in three years and even FIFA president Sepp Blatter says the big ticket – the men’s World Cup – may not be far behind.

So why can’t Canada do what the rest of the world does, and have a good old-fashioned Canadian Open Cup tournament? Its time has come, says former national team captain Jason deVos.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/05/10/throw-its-time-true-canadian-open-cup

Polygong repped this.
  5. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Interesting article. Would mind posting this in the Canada forum as well?

Also, we don't see many Impact supporters in the Canada forum. I'd like to encourage more of you guys to come there.

6. THE OUTFIT

THE OUTFIT Member

Dec 19, 2011
    South Shore
    Club:
    AEK Athens
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Which forum would that be ?

7. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    See: Forums > Americas > Canada

8. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Funny, I know its there but while I tend to pass by the cansoc forums, I always forget this one.

10. Covert

Covert Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec,
    Club:
    AEK Athens
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    My take on the game:

1) The biggest point to come out of this match is the importance of Felipe. Minus the KC match, this was the only game this season where we were utterly dominated for a half (not even NYRB pressed us the way TFC did). When Felipe came on that compleatly changed the dynamic of the game. He offers a lot going both ways and maintains better controll of the ball than both Warner and Bernier. His play helped dissrupt the high pressure by TFC's forwards, settled the team, and gave us greater possession of the ball and the ability to impose our will on the match. Marsch will really need to figure out how to work around this so Felipe isint burnt out by the end of the season..

2) All power to TFC for playing the way they did, but both goals were easily the two worst we have let in all season. The first goal can purely be placed on Ricketts' shoulders. He was caught sleeping watching Platta's acting rather than the ball. The second goal was very poor defending by Shavar and Brovsky. If this team wants to make the playoffs we need to really stop with these mistakes as, even with Rivas and Valentine back, I still see both Shavar and Brovsky getting significant game time.

3) We need a forward that can finish his chances. Corradi's hold up play has been a nice surprise, but he is not a pure goal scorer and he lacks a partner that can really take advantage of his flicks/space creation. Nyassi is fast, and thats it. No finishing what-so-ever. Braun is too mobile and lacks a good first touch to offer a serious box threat. Sebrango was initially signed so we can meet our Canadian quota and really doesent offer much. Wenger has shown that he has the potential to be a good forward, but, for whatever reason, Marsch has chosen not to play him the last few games. If Di Vaio comes, I really dont see him as the solution to our goal scoring problems (here's hoping im wrong).

11. Trident

Trident Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Montreal
    How do you not think di vaio would be the answer to the problem?

The guy is a natural goalscorer, who could still do extremely well in top leagues.

What would solve the problem in your eyes?

12. mtlve

mtlve Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Montreal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Exactly. of course he would solve our problem, the guy has so much talent.

and you will see how much more effective corrdi will be with a top striker playing with him

13. Covert

Covert Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec,
    Club:
    AEK Athens
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Di Vaio is a goal scorer and I hope you're right. However, I wont be holding my breath for a 35 year old Italian playing on a much weaker team then Bolognia.

We shall see...