2012 Algarve Cup

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by mcruic, Oct 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    You are doing a great job above and beyond the call of duty for a fan.

Repped.

2. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    YO YO
    who's got the link to the Japan vs US game?
    it's gotta be streaming someplace ya'll

3. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    I have seen comments that this will be the link.

http://fr.justin.tv/reds2021

If you have an iPad, the justintv app makes browsing for available links easy.

4. chinadaiyi

chinadaiyi Member

Sep 11, 2008
    China
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR

name:Zhang Yue. hight 186cm birth:1990.9.30
    apperance: Chile U20, 2008 ,2010Asian Game.

China never be lack of perfect goal keepers.but we don't have a strong enough team these year.

5. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Japan 1-0 USA, FT (84' Takase header). Japan advances to the final. USA to face Sweden in the 3rd place match.

6. wokeupfuzzy

wokeupfuzzy Member

Apr 24, 2010
    I'm a bit tired of watching us play Sweden. Would have liked to see us against a recouping Germany, but it's not to be. At least Sweden brought some interesting young players to Algarve.

7. And G

And G Member+

Jan 31, 2010
    Club:
    Okayama Yunogo Belle
    The US couldn't get revenge, can Germany?
    (I hope not)

8. shreddir

shreddir Member

Mar 15, 2005
    I didn't see my fave Baramaj get in the game today? Has she got any minutes this tournament? Is Neid still holding her out because of the concussion? I think Germany is going to beat Japan in the final with Mbabi firepower and new girl Svenja Huth who I've watched a lot lately in FFC Frankfurt games. Melanie Behringer is to free kicks what Rapinoe wishes she could be. :rolleyes:

9. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No, she is injured.

10. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Don't think it matters as much as it could have. Both teams have used a lot of new faces in the Algarve, so I don't expect this to be a much of a grudge match. Germany took their WWC loss and moved on, and now both teams for various reasons are very different from the ones that faced each other last summer.

11. And G

And G Member+

Jan 31, 2010
    Club:
    Okayama Yunogo Belle
    While Japan did field some new players against Norway and Denmark, during most of the US match the only real difference to the WC team was Tanaka for Sawa and Fukumoto for Kaihori.
    Judging from how the Germany players cheered for Japan in the WC final though, I guess they did indeed move on very quickly...

12. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    Wellllll, no, not so much. I think losing the World Cup, and the humiliation of doing so in a quarter final on home turf, was not something they shook off quickly. But their grudge was not so much against Japan (who could have been holding a grudge against Japan, after that year the nation went through, and that tournament the team played?) but against LIFE in general ;) and their own performance in particular. I think they were cheering for Japan as their proxies - the Nadeshiko were playing the final that they would have liked to play themselves, against the US.

And a 4-0 against Sweden might just have given them enough confidence to rewind the clocks to zero and play the Nadeshiko on Wednesday as if that d***ed quarter final had never happened.

13. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    I like them both, and Wensing too is so improved. But I will take Japan for the final.

14. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My latest update is online at AllWhiteKit and includes a schedule of the final day of play:

http://www.allwhitekit.com/?p=8907

(Short version: all the matches are at 10:15 local time except for the final, which is at 1:10 to accommodate Japanese television.)

15. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    Thanks.

More highlights of USA v Japan here .... in my opinion, its a USA perspective. They do make it seem as if Japan had only one chance in the 2nd half !

16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is the most action Hope has seen since, well I do not know ;)

17. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Japan are not the same team they were last year, and the knowledge/confidence they now show when wining say's it all. The players few people knew or respected pre WWC, are now considered some of the top players in the world in their positions, and that's how they now regularly perform. So while Japan had to previously play great to beat Germany, it's no longer the case. Could you honestly imagine Japan winning any game versus one of the elite without Sawa prior to the WWC victory? Not only did they not miss her, they actually performed at their regular standards :eek:.

Germany have looked in the mirror and gone on a mission to fix the ugliness we all saw last summer. They have a lot of new faces, which has lead to a lot of issues with confidence. They are progressively building towards another shot at WWC glory, but still have a lot of quality young players that won the WWC back in 07 forming the spine of the current team too.

When Germany lost to Japan, there was no illusion to the fact that the better team won. It couldn't have been more clear as the whole German side then went on to back Japan to win it all post quarter final. So when they meet again at the Algarve, neither team will play the game to settle scores. Your still watching a final between the winners of the last 3 WWC's :cool:, at very different periods of their programs cycle of development.

18. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Oh, obviously I am the "Italian friend" in this beautiful article. :D

Thanks for Borges' highlights, Kevin. And please, don't miss Germany-Japan! I am sure it will be worth watching!

19. And G

And G Member+

Jan 31, 2010
    Club:
    Okayama Yunogo Belle
    News flash: Sasaki apparently doesn't care about the Algarve Cup, so maybe Germany has a chance to win this after all. :mad:

20. ralmcg

ralmcg Member

I was reading the Laws of the Game at the FIFA website and it doesn't require a golden goal or a penalty shootout to settle a game, only that it is permissible with the approval of the International Football Association Board. Therefore I would like to know if the Algarve Cup final, if the scores are level at the end of regular time, will be determined in extra time by a golden goal or will extra time go for the full length, at least thirty minutes total, with penalty kicks to decide if at the end of extra time the scores are level.

21. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, no one besides the US cares about this tournament. It's a big playground to throw in players you never had the courage to test before.

It's a friendly match and Germany compete with their B-squad.
    You see both teams already have an excuse down pat in the case they'll lose. :cool:

22. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If matches are tied at the end of regulation, they go straight to penalty kicks. All Algarve Cup rules are written up in this PDF file: http://www.fpf.pt/fpf/Est_Global.Sh...cheiro&pColumn=ficheiro&pKey=idfich&pId=14064

23. ralmcg

ralmcg Member

24. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    funny but i guess they were scared of brasil that's why they werent invited

[]__[]

25. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Not sure if they where invited this time or not. But they have been earlier and declined.
    The invitied tend to be: First the teams that played last year and then either the best team not in the tournament or a 'returning' team.
    So not sure if returning Germany (as is the only 'new' team in the top groups compared to 2011) got the invitation direct or after that Brazil declined.
    2011 was Japan first year and seeing to the world ranking at the time, I am prety sure Brazil got asked before them. Or it possible Brazil have declined so many time that the organizer do not longer bother to ask.