2012 Algarve Cup

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by mcruic, Oct 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    http://www.wificafespots.com/wifi/city/PT--Faro

http://algarve.angloinfo.com/af/501/algarve-wifi-hotspots-and-wireless-access-points.html

or look for the Starbucks
    http://www.algarveresident.com/29523-22406/algarve/starbucks-comes-to-portugal

but i saw several hotels that advertised they have WIFI. yours might be one.

2. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm here in the Algarve and will be blogging the tournament via AllWhiteKit:

http://www.allwhitekit.com/?p=8831

My caravansary definitely has free wi-fi (I'm using it now). Hope to have my first game report tomorrow assuming I survive the drive to Lagos and back. (Portuguese drivers are purportedly the worst in Europe.)

3. DeigoRedD

DeigoRedD Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish the USWNT would afford itself the luxury of using Algarve to test new players like other countries do.

I feel for a kid like Ashlyn Harris who keeps getting dicked around and brought into camps but getting cut from day of game rosters.

Especially when I'd like Hope Solo to be resting her shoulder, that she further aggravated by appearing on DWTS, for the Olympics. I watched Solo carefully at a practice in Frisco and during the warmups/game. She's still feeling a significant amount of pain. I saw her wince several times after diving to the right or stopping a particularly wicked shot with her right hand/arm.

4. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    anybody knows why brasil wasnt invited to play in the tournament

5. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, It was expressely done, so YOU would have had nothing to do with this thread. :D

I won't probably see anything about the Japan-Norge match, because i'll be at work quite all of the time. Anyway, can anyone post a link to a live-feed later, so, if I can, I'll watch at least some minutes of the game, before enjoying some highlights later in the evening?

6. amerinorsk59

amerinorsk59 Member

Mar 9, 2007
    Chicago area
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
  7. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Is there a live coverage of the Japan - Norway match?
    Currently it's 1:0 for Norway, but my ticker doesn't even mention the name of the goal scorer. :eek:

8. amerinorsk59

amerinorsk59 Member

Mar 9, 2007
    Chicago area
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
  9. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the USA "Lack of TV/webstreaming" thread, here's a webstream of TV!

Typical Japanese male pbp + female analyst crew. Japan's TBC coverage appears to be one turret at midfield stands (other side of field is grass and a hill to a rural road), plus maybe two endline camcorder dudes for corner kick closeups.

23' 0-1 "I inherited this problem"

32' 0-1 Norway backpass adventurously from their own 6-top left, too slow -- somebody with long black hair (#10 Sawa?) leaps and nearly stuff-blocks the clearance.

33' 0-1 Japan long throughball from 30m box right, leads #10 Sawa through box top arc right, offside, AR epic fail. Replay shows Sawa past her own defender, but onside by ~1 step from 2 others.

Looks close to full-strength lineups for both teams.

====

45' 0-1 Norway elude Japan down box right, finally shoot hard from box arc top, right to Kaihori.

45+2' (of 2') 1-1 #8 Miyama drives endline wide left, crosses just over #5's head, #17 Yuki Nagasato outruns #6(?) and dive-heads down from 3m center (replay: down her own right thigh and foot top, deflects just inside right post low, bouncing up). That usually works. Then Miyama kneels down and shines Nagasato's sneaker!

HT Bonus: Japanese commercials. White dog riding a bicycle!

====

46' 1-1 #1 Kaihori lunge-punches clear as #10 stoops and heads the back of her skull. Stoppage, water, backup GK sighting, Kaihori resumes.

48' 1-1 Restart, c'mon-man backpass from Japan's box top right to nobody, dies in grass. Norway pounces, crosses to 3m center, drag volley sails wide right. Many facepalms.

51' 1-1 Japan break Norway's pressure, reach midfield :eek:

10. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1H 1-0 Norway's goal was from #9, at box top arc left, blasting hard into the right side netting.

57' 1-1 Norway drives hard down box left, outpaces Japan's flank. Crosses well to 6-top center, another left instep drag-volley goes wide right. Japan leaking a bit ...

65' 2-1 #9 Nahomi Kawasumi shoots from box arc left top, through legs, nasty deflection wrong-foots GK and roooooollls slowly just inside right post.

Both sides have subbed a couple. #19 Megumi Takase (21 yr) replaces #17 Yuki Nagasato: a cap for the young'un.

11. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Thanks Gilmoy. Japan won 2:1 against Norway. I only saw the last minutes, though.
    I must say Japan's new jerseys are very nice looking. :)
    Edit: Hmm, are these the same jerseys the Japanese Men's team are wearing?

In the second match of the day, Germany are leading 1:0 against Iceland after roughly 35 minutes.

12. amerinorsk59

amerinorsk59 Member

Mar 9, 2007
    Chicago area
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    :( another disappointing loss for Norway..............more importantly, I would like to know if Norway looked good and was the game overall a competitive (scores can be deceiving) game (I did not watch)? That would be even more important to me (if Norway looked good against a top notch Japan team) than the score.

13. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Impressions:
    - Pace was high.
    - Norway's pressure sometimes tied Japan up.
    - Norway's speed on wings sometimes beat Japan cleanly. Japan bent but didn't break.
    - Norway missed 2-3 sitters on fast crosses into 6-center traffic.
    - Japan showed customary ball control, but missed some medium passes (10-15m) into traffic, possibly underestimating Norway's energy.

Evenly matched, but Japan was more precise in front of goal.

14. amerinorsk59

amerinorsk59 Member

Mar 9, 2007
    Chicago area
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    thanks Gilmoy for the update!
    Sounds encouraging for Norway moving forward! :)

15. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Member

Jun 6, 2007
    Thanks Gilmoy :)

16. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Just catching up on today's stuff, and everything sounds just like every other Algarve Cup. 1-0 for Germany lol. 2-1 for Japan even though Norway missed some absolute gifts:). I'll try and catch a stream for the final, whoever the U.S. will be playing at that point may actually begin to give a crap by then :rolleyes:.

17. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    USA 5- Denmark 0.

Morgan 2 goals, 1 assist. Other scorers are Wambach, Leroux, Lloyd.

18. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It'll be either Sweden or Germany from the other group. Can't see China or Iceland doing something to prevent this.

19. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was able to live-tweet today's match as the stadium has free wi-fi, and I'll be able to do likewise on Friday. I'm on Twitter as (you guessed it) @StarCityFan .

20. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the Algarve Cup handout, the Japanese and Danish national teams are staying at the Browns Sports Club, Caminho dos Golfes, 8125-426 Vilamoura. GPS: 37.105171, -8.114938

21. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  22. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Thank you so much StarCityFan! :p

I still didn't check how much Vilamoura is far from Faro (where I will be based), but I hope not too much.

24. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Google Maps says 23 km.

25. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008