2012 Algarve Cup

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by mcruic, Oct 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    We discussed that - the GK put up her hands to block a shot, but there was contact OK. It could indeed have been a PK - or not.

Well just 5 minutes later, at the other end, much the same thing occurred - it could have been a Japan PK. Neither PK was called.

2. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    Or engage in pointless discussions where the sides ignore the agenda of the other.

3. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    I agree with the non penalty call on the other end for Japan as well. I was just making a point that Morgan didn't just flop on purpose. Heck, she even got up to get a cross in after getting tripped.

4. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? You're trying to enlist Japanese culture on your side?

The Japanese are well-known for their tendency to accept authority (as long as they recognize the authority as proper).

Since there isn't a well-known aspect of Japanese culture that I think you can show which has to do with engaging or not engaging in pointless discussions, I suggest the one engaging in a pointless discussion is you.

Sorry - but I rather disliked this particular comment. It was ill-considered. But please carry on.

5. And G

And G Member+

Jan 31, 2010
    Club:
    Okayama Yunogo Belle
    Tautology alert? I mean, how can I "recognize authority as proper" without "accepting" it?

Anyway, yes the Japanese love authority, the Germans are boring and value order above anything else, Americans are all fat and stupid, the Brits sip tea wearing top hats, and the Dutch smoke weed all day long.

Not restricted to Japanese culture, but I guess many Asians would rather let you "save face" than prove you wrong about something, and so wouldn't engage in pointless discussions like these.

So now that you've been proven wrong, can we please move on?

1 person likes this.
  6. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The Japanese girl put her hands on the attacker going through on goal, this left the ref with no choice but to give a pen. Often when beaten, U.S. defenders also have a bad habit of putting their hands on the opponent that's through on goal. Rachel Buehler's red card tussle with Marta in the WWC was a great example of that, and like others here have mentioned, she did something very similar again when pulling back Ando to prevent a clear Japanese chance on goal in the Algarve Cup too.

You put your hands on a attacker in the box, you will always run the risk of a penalty, no matter how light that contact may be. Like I said before, female players for some randomly stupid reason, still feel the need for actual contact before hitting the deck :rolleyes:.

7. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    It's called honesty. Obviously Marta doesn't think like this and like to thin believes a football pitch is like a swimming pool.

8. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really?! I was fairly prepared to move on but are you really saying that the Japanese do not exhibit certain well-known cultural tendencies - like acceptance of authority and things of that nature? Do I really have to bring up the unfortunate tragedy of the earthquake and tsunami just over a year ago? A billion people saw the news and the actions of the Japanese people in its aftermath -- you haven't proved me wrong or anyone else.

And again, I realize I'm being a little snippier than I usually would be.

9. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    You're not being "snippy", your comments actually make you a fine candidate for the ethnocentic label I mentioned yesterday. WTF does "acceptance of authority" have to do with the tsunami? And please feel free to relate it to football if you can, specifically the Algarve Cup 2012.

10. And G

And G Member+

Jan 31, 2010
    Club:
    Okayama Yunogo Belle
    Okay, since you obviously didn't get what I was saying, let me break it down for you:
    1. Statements beginning with "the Japanese/Americans/Germans/whatever" turn out to be false most of the time.
    There. Pretty short list, right? Next time you're going to make a broad-brush assumption regarding a certain group of people, you might want to check beforehand how other groups of people have reacted in comparable situations instead of going just "but... the Japanese! And authority!"

People around the world tend to think "it exists, therefore it must be good". You have no idea how funny Europeans (at least those I know) find the US election system or the idea that the Iraq war was actually started because someone in the government believed there to be weapons of mass destruction. Does that mean US citizens are stupider and more gullible than other people? Probably not.

So... what was your argument for "the Japanese" being accepting of authority again? I didn't get the tsunami part...

Edit: Ok so unless we magically manage to get this thread back to football, I think this will be my last post here. Are the Japanese perhaps particularly accepting of refereeing authority?

11. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, golly, do we have to...? The respect for law and order, the lack of looting and rioting, the compliance with requests from public officials, the patience (some would say over-patience) with those in charge (government officials and executives at the power company)... All these things were remarked upon -- and those familiar with Japan were not and are not surprised by it. It's not always a good thing - but at times it is.

And Algarve? Accepting the decision of the referee without protest. That aspect of sportsmanship does appear to be drummed into children more universally in Japan than most other countries at hand that we might compare them to, including the US.

12. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most statements that "start out like that" may be false, but was mine? Are you seriously disputing it? Because many scholars and journalists familiar with Japan think these are national traits of the Japanese. Not everyone will agree with it, of course, but at least it seems to represent a scholarly view.

It doesn't mean it's always a good thing (this tendency to accept authority) - in fact, Western scholars usually cite it as an underlying cause or condition leading to the military junta taking over the government in the years leading up to WWII.

Perhaps that's a sign of European ethnocentrism?

You tell me what you saw with your own eyes. Or more importantly you tell the people here at BigSoccer what they saw with their own eyes. Or try to tell them that they didn't see what they saw with their own eyes but instead saw what your agenda tells them they have to be seeing.

13. And G

And G Member+

Jan 31, 2010
    Club:
    Okayama Yunogo Belle
    What? No, it just shows that people who grow up and live in a certain system tend to not question that system. Do you think the people here in Germany question the German election system much? It seems you still don't understand.

Yeah, I guess Japan was the only country with a military-backed autocratic regime. Because nations around the world like the USSR, both Chinas, Spain, Germany, Brazil, Italy, Poland, Romania, Portugal, and many more were totally democratic and not authoritarian at all, no sir.

Oh and did you know there was slavery in the US until half a century before WW1, with segregation abolished less than half a century ago (and to this day still no de-facto-equality)? Surely that's only because Americans are Very Bad Racist Jerks, and not because the US was founded in a time when slavery was common and in a place where slavery was an existent practice that was also a lucrative business.

In your defence I must say though that the Japanese culture, as many East Asian cultures, is a much more collectivistic culture compared to western (individualistic) standards. That's something very different from "authority-accepting" and renders your initial point invalid anyway, but it's the only thing I can come up with that makes your posts less nonsensical.

So:
    • Are Japanese (or East Asians in general) more likely to avoid dissension? - Probably, although this seems to have largely diminished in the wake of globalization.
    • Are Japanese more likely to "accept authority"? - Probably not.

... didn't get that last part about thinking and seeing. Was there any point to that?

14. rohrlich

rohrlich Member

Aug 27, 2011
    I have spent two years in Europe; one year in Paris (ENS) and one year in Cologne ( Max Planck). I can say that the European society is still far more racist than US. Not only towards African immigrants but even now towards Jews.

Also we do not need any lesson on Japanese kindness. Just read the history on Japan's imperial occupation of Asia. Yes, they did not indulge in holocaust like Germany did, but their occupation was very very brutal.

Koala, no point spending time on ignorant like And G.

15. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    How about locking this thread? Or moving it to Rivalry, so there can be endless discussions of "You're an idiot"... "No, you're an idiot"...?

16. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    She's right guys. And seriously, you should know better than arguing about that nonsense.