2012 AFC Cup

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by druryfire, Aug 3, 2011.

1. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    With the play offs- does the losing club gain entry to the Presidents Cup?

2. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    No..

3. Champagne14

Champagne14 New Member

Nov 21, 2011
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Thailand
    4 loser from ACL enter AFC cup.
    Hence, there will be 2 two teams from ACL qualifying round have to out of AFC competition soon.

4. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Maybe they should try to promote the Presidents Cup too... as in try to get the winners into the AFC Cup play off? etc.

5. timnicebutdim

timnicebutdim Red Card

Nov 21, 2011
    I think that's a sensible approach.

What I don't understand is that a few years ago the Presidents Cup was dominated by the Central Asian teams, they should have been given the opportunity to play.

Now, AFC might tell us the stadia and all is not fit for purpose, but they didn't have an issue sending the 2008 and 2009 finals to these Central Asian nations.

I'd like to see something happen, I'd even like to see the losign playoff teams in the AFC Cup go into the Presidents Cup, we can then see what the gap is between AFC Cup and Presidents Cup on the field rather than on a piece of paper.

6. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    I would like to see that. Get the winner from the Presidents Cup to go into the AFC Cup and any losing AFC qualifying sides should gain entry into the Presidents Cup. If they arent good enough to qualify for the AFC Cup, dont let there continental season in disaray, send them to the Presidents Cup so they try to win that and gain entry back into the AFC CUp.

I wouldnt be surprised if the gab is not much, especially the likes of Turkmenistan, Tajikistan and North Korea clubs should be able to compete.,

7. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    AFC Cup 2012 - Group Stage

Group A

Al Qadsia (KUW)

Al Ittihad (SYR)

Al Faisaly (JOR)

Al Suwaiq (OMN)

Group B

East Bengal (IND)

Kazma (KUW)

Arbil (IRQ)

Al Orouba (YEM)

Group C

Al Ahed (LIB)

ACL Playoff 1/2: loser (TBC)

Kuwait SC (KUW)

V.B. (MDV)

Group D

ACL Playoff West 1/2: loser (TBC)

Salgaocar (IND)

Knockout Cup winner (OMN)

Al Wehdat (JOR)

Group E

Al Shorta (SYR)

Al Safa (LIB)

Al Tilal (YEM) or Victory (MDV)

Al Zawraa (IRQ)

Group F

Kitchee (HKG)

Terengganu (MAS)

Song Lam Nghe An (VIE)

Tampines Rovers (SIN)

Group G

Yangon United (MYA)

Citizen (HKG)

Home United (SIN)

ACL Playoff East 1: loser (TBC)

Group H

Kelantan (MAS)

Ayeyawady (MYA)

Arema Indonesia (IDN)

Navibank Saigon (VIE)

http://www.the-afc.com/en/component/content/article/936-afc-cup-2012/37397-afc-cup-draw

8. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    but what will druryfire say about this? or did he?

9. Fureeku

Fureeku Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Maldives
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Maldives
    Why can't the playoff between Al Tilal and Victory consist of two legs?

10. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    AFC blaming timescales. But surely AFC know by now what can happen in a one off game. Two legs certainly gets the better team through which is what everyone wants isn't it?

11. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    I'm back after being banned for what seems like bloody ages!

I think more teams at ACL criteria playing in AFC Cup will help the game. Of course people will declare that the AFC Cup is crap and that they don't want anything to do with it, such as the Chinese club who pulled out of the ACL playoffs, but clubs such as that don't deserve a place in ACL if they don't feel they can qualify for it. So thats what we have AFC Cup for isn't it?

12. Fureeku

Fureeku Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Maldives
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Maldives
    I was hoping that Victory would do well in the tournament this time, as they have been horrendous so far but are making all the right noises this time around. They've elected a new chairman, underwent a major change in management staff and brought in some good young players. They have also stated their desire to progress to the group stages.

But alas, the one legged play-off will be staged at a time when Maldives will be preparing for the AFC Challenge Cup, and Victory has a good number of players in the national team. Some of the group stage matches will also clash with the Challenge Cup.

Apparently organising schedules is one of the many things AFC are not great at.

13. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It is a bit like Man Utd playing in the Europa League, they think it is a bloody waste of time.

Kitchee's Ken Ng said SAFFC of Singapore wants to tour HK from 13 to 18 January and want to play two games. Ken wants to play them and will introduce SAFFC to Citizen FC, the other AFC Cup rep from Hong Kong.

14. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    And the difference is that Man United will play Europa League. They won't run away. Squad selection might be a bit different come the matches, but they are still showing respect by not pulling out.

Liaoning I'm sure will tell us that the AFC should them no respect, but they've pulled out of competition doing the same thing. Sometimes, you've just got to get on with it.

15. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    but you were already here. druryfire wasnt here though.;)

16. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Can you put into English?

17. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    With AFC being forced to re-jig the ACL (see ACL thread), will this now mean that Terengganu (Malaysia) and Ayeyawady United (Myanmar) will now need to play that playoff match?

18. Matilda Maniac

Matilda Maniac Big Soccer Memebr

Sep 21, 2006
    Perth
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    according to SBS today, they quote correspondence with the AFC, that :
    "Contrary to its previous announcement, the AFC said the loser of the play-off won't take part in the less glamorous AFC Cup.

The governing body ruled that the losing team would not drop into the AFC Cup so as to “maintain the match fixtures and integrity” of the second-tier competition.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/adelaide-united/news/1093001/Reds-ordered-to-play-off-for-ACL-spot

19. Fureeku

Fureeku Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Maldives
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Maldives
  20. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Male’, MALDIVES – Victory’s AFC Cup play-off game against Yemen’s Al Tilal has been re-scheduled to play in Male’ due to the domestic violence in Yemen. The winner of the game will go into the group stage of this year’s AFC Cup.

Previously the game was due to play in Yemen, however the change could be a morale boosting news for Victory.

The game will be played on 18th February 2012

http://www.maldivesoccer.net/v4/?page=story&id=4173

21. Kutsuit

Kutsuit Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Kuwait City
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kuwait
    I hear we (Kuwait SC) are getting either a Saudi or Iranian team in our group. Well so much for that...

Our team is in shambles. It's severely shrunken in size, our core players are aging, etc. We've got no chance.

If any Kuwaiti team stands a chance of winning this tournament, it's Qadsia SC, as much as I despise them. At least if they do win, they'll win it for the country.

Qadsia SC has a so-called "dream team" right now. Although their group will be much tougher to get by, than Kuwait SC's group, I still think they're the favorites among Kuwaiti teams. They're in the run for the League and Emir cup double, which is the ultimate achievement, domestically. They lost their opportunity of winning the Federation cup and Crown Prince cup but they wont lose any sleep over it, since they've won those two tournaments countless times before, and are focusing on more important tournaments instead (AFC Cup, League, Emir Cup). That's their goal insofar as this season is concerned.

Kazma are okay but just wont cope with it.

22. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Victory SC (Maldives) 3-4 Tilal Aden (Yemen)

Tilal Aden to group stage

23. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Tilal, only scored 2 in 7 domestic league games and 4 on the road in the Maldives. What's happening to Maldives football teams??

24. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
  25. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England