2012 AFC Champions League

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by jonny63, Dec 6, 2011.

1. ChaDuRi671

ChaDuRi671 Member+

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    LOL. :ROFLMAO:

2. ChaDuRi671

ChaDuRi671 Member+

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

Yeah, he was really on fire.

3. Elspamo

Elspamo Member

Mar 7, 2012
    USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Qatar
    AFC should never allow Qadsia to play in the ACL again after what they did in 2004. I'd say that's more embarassing than any performance given by a UAE club.

4. al ittihady

al ittihady Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    LOLLZ @ Hilals teams.out of 7 goals 6 goals were scored and assisted by foriegn players. Thanks that Saudi league is not as EPL or else Hilal would have been world champions now.:D

5. Kutsuit

Kutsuit Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Kuwait City
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kuwait
    In my opinion, Jordanian teams play with more passion than any club in the UAE and Qatar combined. Al-Faisaly and Al-Wehdat, for example, will make more excitement in the ACL than Al-Gharafa and Sadd SC. :)

Syria's Al-Ittihad Aleppo makes a lot of buzz as well:

Jordan's fans:

Qadsia fans:

And finally... Gharafa fans...

:ROFLMAO:
    The Iranian away fans were noisier than the Qataris in the Gharafa game. :x3:

6. nimaa

nimaa Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    lol that's nothing. The Perspolis game against shabab in UAE was even worse. Half the stadium were Iranians fans, and they were pretty much the only fans. lol

go to min 1:36

Kutsuit repped this.
  7. serro

serro Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Riyadh
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    I don't think there is any team in west Asia that compete Saudi teams except for some Iranian teams but the Iranian teams are not consistent .

maybe we can have 8 teams from Iran and 8 teams from Saudi Arabia, yeah that's sounds fun

btw we got unfamiliar teams from Japan. only Nagoya Grampus is known

8. nimaa

nimaa Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    bs of the century
    Have you checked your head to head record in the past 5-6 years (versus Iranian teams)??? If you say Iranian and Saudi teams are superior in WA, than SA cannot be ahead of Iranian teams b/c the head to head is on our side.

In the past 6 years, Iranian teams have defeated Saudi teams 18 times and lost only 10 times.

By your logic, if we're the strongest in West Asia (Iran and Saudi), then Iranian teams are superior and not vice versa as you're claiming. Iran has a clear edge in head to head against Saudi.

2012 (so far)
    2 wins for Iran
    2 wins for SA
    2 ties

4 wins for Iran
    3 wins for SA
    2 ties

6 wins for Iran
    2 win for SA
    2 ties

2 wins for Iran
    3 wins for SA
    3 ties

2 wins Iran
    0 wins SA
    0 ties

2 wins Iran
    0 wins SA
    0 ties

Mani and Kutsuit repped this.
  9. Kutsuit

Kutsuit Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Kuwait City
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kuwait
    Saudi teams aren't consistent either. I hope the 7-1 victory over no-name Baniyas isn't letting you get carried away. No West Asian country has ever performed consistently in the ACL; every country has/had its ups and downs. The only consistent countries in the ACL are Japan and South Korea. Saudi and Iran are as consistent as each other and the records show that, but it's nowhere near the elite level of the Far Eastern nations.

If countries like Syria were still given the chance to play in the ACL, they would certainly meet Saudi clubs with fierce challenge, just like Karamah did in 2006 when they humiliatingly defeated eventual Saudi league champions Ittihad 4-0 in Syria. Syrian teams were getting stronger but they were unfairly ousted from the competition by that Qatari clown who headed the AFC.

As for Iranian teams, they do indeed offer a big challenge for everyone they play, not least Saudi Arabia. Having said that, you forgot Iraqi clubs, which have a positive record playing against Saudi teams. Every 4 games Iraqi and Saudi teams play, the Iraqi teams come out on top 3 out of 4 times. Al-Rasheed and Al-Shorta, which both dominated Iraqi football in the past, were having a ball against Saudi teams in the 80s. Too bad Iraqis were too focused on Arab nationalism and gave the Arab Champions League more attention, where they defeated Saudi teams numerous times on Saudi soil. Unfortunately they kept sending weakened teams to Asian competitions and never started caring until the late 80s, when it was unfortunately a little too late.

If these countries return to the ACL, which they'll do one day, I guarantee you wont be as confident as you are right now when talking about Saudi teams and the challenges they're getting. Right now your only challenge in West Asia either comes from Iran, which is in its worst period of football for decades, or clubs from Qatar and the UAE. Let's just say I don't blame you for being confident about Saudi teams under these extremely poor conditions. :p

Japan may have brought along unfamiliar teams to the ACL but they did so legitimately. Japan and Korea have real professional league systems. They don't have a sheikh randomly buying a no-name club in order to make its name popular for a few years under the sun. Instead, the unfamiliar club names of Japan made their break in Asia because they earned it after years of hard work and long-term building, which cannot be said about here. We used to have these kind of teams with good ethics back in the past. Kazma SC to name one. I'm sure your country has a few examples but I wouldn't know of them obviously.

druryfire and nimaa repped this.
  10. Kutsuit

Kutsuit Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Kuwait City
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kuwait
    That's embarrassing. Shows how much the UAE doesn't deserve this competition.

11. serro

serro Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Riyadh
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    oh man posts are too long too tired to read them...maybe I will read them next week !yeah bookmark!

all the three clubs that we have in ACL now! were struggling in the domestic league , both Alhilal and Ittihad are building new teams for the round of 8 .look they don't even consider group stage and round of 16 . 7 to 1 and 3 to 0 should never happen . by the way what is the meaning of 'bs' ?

12. nimaa

nimaa Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    bull shit=bs

Only facts matter, and in the past 6 years the head to head has been in Iran's favour (18 wins for Iran-10 wins for SA). That defeats your arguement about saudi teams being better than Iranian teams. It doesn't just defeat it, it shatters it.

Kutsuit talked about your other arguement (that Iranian and saudi teams are the best in the West).

Both arguements are invalid for the abovementioned reasons.

And btw, just to add to Kutsuit's post, we also can't say who's better or worse in WA with confidence when the only real participants are Iran and Saudi (UAE and QATAR are just there for shits and giggles). When Kuwait, Syria, Jordan... get a chance to show what they're made of, then we can judge.

Kutsuit repped this.
  13. Kutsuit

Kutsuit Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Kuwait City
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kuwait
    This:
    I don't think there is any team in west Asia that compete Saudi teams except for some Iranian teams but the Iranian teams are not consistent .

:p

14. serro

serro Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Riyadh
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    when did I say Saudi teams are better ?

I believe they are better but i did not say they are
    I laugh at the fact that you guys are trying desperately to debate with me about the joke I posted earlier tonight.

if you want an argument then here it is : Saudi Arabian teams are well financed, well supported and they have more achievements than Iranian clubs the same can be said for the teams from UAE, Qatar,Korea , Japan ,Australia . so they are better than Iranian Clubs ,Syrian Clubs,Kuwait clubs, Iraqi clubs and Jordanian Clubs .
    and Iran is the oldest in west Asian football. maybe the oldest in Asia as well.
    now who should have the position? the capable or the incapable?

and about head to head results I don't count them , I only count cups .I tend to forget matches as soon as they end.

history is there we can see how did they perform in ACL.

15. Matilda Maniac

Matilda Maniac Big Soccer Memebr

Sep 21, 2006
    Perth
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    serro : calm down , bs=big soccer. No bs :poop:

3 Japanese and 2 south Korean teams left in the Eastern 1/2 of the draw, so they're still pretty much dominating the other high profile leagues (China and Australia).

Last year the quarterfinals draw was announced about 2 weeks after the Round of 16. Has the timing been confirmed for this year?

16. nimaa

nimaa Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    @ serro
    You count cups? Good for you, but we all do. But you need to step back and see what the discussion is about. We're discussing the CURRENT state of football in the region, not how good saudi or Iranian clubs have been historically.

YOUR CLAIM: "Iran and Saudi teams are the best in the West" and "only some Iranian teams can match the Saudis."

So in fact you're claiming that Saudi teams are better. The head to head destroys that insane arguement. What happened a decade ago hardly matters. Today, whenever saudi and Iranian clubs meet, it's more likely that the Iranian club is going to win than vice versa (based on the 18:10 ratio that's in favour of the Iranian league).

P.S. we can apply the same arguement to your national team. I'm sure you won't argue that the Saudi NT is no longer ahead of other arab teams in the region. Almost every Arab team has beat Saudi Arabia on multiple occasions in the past few years. Some, like Iraq, spank the Saudi NT at every chance. So while SA WAS A FORCE in the region before, it no longer is the case.

17. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Errr......

18. Kutsuit

Kutsuit Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Kuwait City
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kuwait
    Don't take things out of context. I also mentioned in the same sentence that they (i.e. Saudi clubs) haven't won anything in a long time now. Serro's talking about the overall challenges faced by Saudi teams in the ACL, as if to say West Asian countries never or "inconsistently" -- as he said -- offered a challenge to Saudi clubs, which is hardly the case. Furthermore, regardless of how well Saudi teams have done in the past 10 years, it means nothing in the entire picture because the records show that they and Iran are neck and neck in the region. So the whole assertion that Iranian teams are inconsistent relative to Saudi clubs, which is what Serro was saying, is blatantly untrue. Furthermore, one can look further back than 10 years to see how even the Iraqi clubs were getting the best results against Saudi teams. That's what the discussion's about. Now if I want to look at football in the past 10 years, yes I will admit Saudi Arabian teams had the best performances in West Asia due to the fact they reached the semis and finals more times than other West Asian countries. But if we're to look at things from an overall point of view, you're no more special than Iran and you're nowhere near the level of South Korea and Japan.

Nice try though. :p

19. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    There is no context to be taken out of. You said Saudi clubs are not ONE of the most consistent sides in Asia but THE most consistent side in Asia. Not only THE, but UNDOUBTEDLY THE most consistent.

Using clear cut and very powerful words like that means you can't hide behind context, my friend.

Frankly, the only reason the East asian sides are so "consistent" is because there's only Japan and South Korea.

No one else. Thailand used to be big in the past but those days are long gone.

Basically, all the Japanese and Korean teams have to do is spank some Chinese or SEA side to get into the quarter finals and then eliminate each other.

Only recently has Saudi Arabia got that luxury after the 2009 shakeup. With Syria,Jordan,Iraq and Kuwait out of the picture: We now have the same situation as East Asia: two big sides hogging all the slots.

Laith repped this.
  20. Kutsuit

Kutsuit Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Kuwait City
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kuwait
    There is a context, Burning Phoenix. I cant deny facts and yes the facts show that Saudi teams have been one of the most consistent in the ACL in the past 10 years. But how is that in any way related to what Serro was saying, when he said that Saudi teams are the best in West Asia and have been either unchallenged or "inconsistently" challenged by Iranian teams? The ACL goes back to the 70s and the records do not lie when they show that Iranian teams and Saudi teams are just as consistent as each other in this competition.

Now you're trying to flip this around by saying that Korean and Japanese teams are more consistent simply because they have no challenge around them apart from China? Well in that case it negates Serro's point that West Asia is simply rolling over and allowing Saudi teams the upper-hand, doesn't it? And if Korean/Japanese teams dominated simply because of their geographic circumstances, then how does that explain the sheer fact they kept spanking Saudi and other West Asian teams in most of the finals they played each other?

21. al ittihady

al ittihady Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    I totally agree with you Kutsuit. I think the real consistency of Saudi and Iranian clubs will be seen when teams from Iraq , Syria and Jordan enter the competion. In east asia there is not point of getting there group stage stornger as they have no competion there. But in west asia you have a lot of potential teams which can make the group stage and ACL more excitment to watch. We are here just talking about the UAE and Qatar teams but what about Uzbeki teams. They do not perform that great. I think the slots alloted to them must also be taken into consideration.
    Lastly speaking about the consistency of Saudi team, fraankly speaking all the credit goes to Ittihad who always carry the Saudi flag forward till the semis or finals and have been doing it since the start of the new ACL. Rest Saudi teams are not that competative enough to play in ACL. Hilal always sucks in ACL, Shabab some what manages and are unpredictable.
    AFC should re think the slots given to the UAE and Qatari teams and re consider teams from Kuwait , Syria and Jordan. If this happens I am sure UAE and Qatari clubs will evaporate in the group stage itself plus Saudi and Iranian teams will have a big headache.

Kutsuit and nimaa repped this.
  22. serro

serro Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Riyadh
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia

we are not discussing anything I posted a light hearted joke :< ! I am so f**ing pissed that I cant even enjoy StarCraft2 . what are you talking about argument this and argument that .
    P.S. learn how to spell !

edit :
    Matilda Maniac : I am calm now

23. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    as an Iranian i will be honest and say we suck in the ACL (except for sepahan in recent years).

but other than japanese and korean teams we are still the best.

24. serro

serro Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Riyadh
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    what are you talking about Saudi teams have the best achievements in Asia .

25. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Actually, the order goes South Korea, Japan and then Saudi Arabia.

It doesn't. I never agreed with that or commented on it. :p

I don't have H2H records on me but since the modern ACL was founded (2002/2003) the record is 4 final wins for East Asia and 3 for West Asia.

Very close I'd say.

EDIT: I meant H2H records in all matches, not finals.

Kutsuit repped this.