2012-2013 Offseason Roster/Formation discussion

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by tonhtubra, Dec 14, 2012.

1. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    spot repped this.
  2. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i dont think he fits here anymore... that said you are a bad TD/GM if you don't listen to any and all offers because you never know if you can get a steal

3. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He might also want to move on too, team is really changing or will be by start of season.

COMtnGuy and BYLRPhil repped this.
  4. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I may be in the minority here, but I really have no issue with JL moving on. I haven't been terribly impressed (even in his good years) and think the Rapids have better options. A lot of fouls and hot-headed yelling for average production on the field. Maybe it is just what was being asked of him.

I am not advocating giving him away for nothing, but a solid trade should be listened to. I would expect the front office to listen to any trade offer and do what's best for the team.

Just my two cents.

rod.

BYLRPhil and 22SteveD repped this.
  5. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Judging from responses here and in other threads, I don't think you're in the minority at all.

"Fitting" presupposes a cohesive idea or plan in which to fit.

I think they're just getting rid of him because he's not one of "their guys."

6. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think thats overly cynical and borderline paranoid

7. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
  8. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not saying there isn't some truth to your statement but we really had an old team, think that also must factor in to these moves too.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  9. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    True. But, of the players we've signed/re-signed/acquired so far (Thomas, Buddle, Harris, Sturgis, Calderon, Klute, Pablo, Avila), the average age is 27.375 years.

I'll wait to do the full analysis again until we've finished our offseason movement, but that initial number doesn't point to us getting any younger yet.

Totoro repped this.
  10. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pablo taints your numbers, but I would be interested to see what you find. He does deserve some kind of send-off but it could sentence us all to yet another year of rebuilding like their slowness to overhaul the roster last year.

11. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ditto.

12. murphyskicks

murphyskicks Member

May 15, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Lots going on with the Rapids this winter. I can't make sense of some of it, but I like the general direction of things... Here is what I envision as the lineup. I am making the wishful assumption that the DP rumors we heard late last year will result in a forward.
    I have to admit that I didn't follow last season very well, but I like the feel of Cascio and Castrillon on the same side. I also am not sure how Thomas fits in here. Maybe he supplants Mastro? You have to have him in the lineup, right? Maybe he fits where I have Castrillon below?

Cascio-----<not on roster yet>-----Buddle

Castrillon---------Rivero----------Mastroeni

Calderon-----Moor-----Wynne-----Mullan

-----------------Pickens---------------------

13. Big Chil in Denver

Sep 10, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking Buddle is the target in the center at top.

Cascio----------Buddle---------Castrillon

There are quite a few permutations here, and either Hill or Castrillon (or a DP or Harris) could play wing forward. Akpan backs up Buddle.

------------Rivero----------Mastroeni
    ------------------Thomas-------------------

Could be JL or Castrillon instead of Pablo (if someone else is playing wing).

14. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. If they do find and sign that young DP forward then perhaps he pushes Buddle for that spot with the intent that with maturity they make that position their own, but otherwise I think it will be Buddle.

As for Cascio, he had a fast start last year and as a result I think many, myself included, began to expect and think too highly of him. I still think he can be a very good MLS player, but I'm not sure he can be a brick kind of player. He is more just mortar. Therefore, unless there is a big improvement, I think Cascio is going to be not much more than a super-sub this year. Castrillon and possibly Harris are ahead of Cascio for that LF spot.

15. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, this is my fantasy line-up, not what I expect to see OP to ever to do. Going to skip D until roster is more settled, Pickens is GK.

Really would like to see 2 "play-maker" mids on field. Rivero is more of a dribbler and Hill a passer in my mind. Like Hill's ball/ run movement to complement Rivero.

Castrillon----Buddle----Cascio (For now, really need some speed somewhere on attack)
    -----Rivero-----------Hill------
    --------------Thomas---------

16. Big Chil in Denver

Sep 10, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You might be right about that.

I also really want to see Hill, Rivero, Castrillon on the field together.

17. WJMarx

WJMarx BigSoccer Supporter

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO, you are right on from start to finish. Buddle is a mature veteran who will be hard to displace from his striker position. Since none of the current crop of forwards is commanding minutes a new, young player will have a chance to grow in this environment. I expect a young, fast forward and 2 CB/FB from the draft, as well as, 1 or 2 more of each from elsewhere.

Ultimately, Cascio's lack of speed and tactical immaturity limited his usefulness. I, too, think he can be a solid player off the bench and a yeoman MLS back-up.

IMO, this will be too steep a hill to climb!

18. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I like this idea. Or if Hill can't cut it, at least the idea of getting someone like that on with Rivero who can run/pass. A lot of times last year didn't look any different from the previous two--one guy with the ball all by himself. Someone's got to be making a run, short or long (or both) to give him an outlet to pass to before the defender closes down.

But I would like to see Hill get more of a shot this season. He was a bit slow to do it by himself, but he showed some ability on the ball and has a promising shot.

19. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Speaking of Harris, what was his offensive game when he was on? Was he a winger (was he fast)?

20. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Harris is very speedy, would probably be useful on the wings. He does have a propensity for cards though.

Why no larentowicz in the lineups? Is he already gone?

21. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it is safe to say that barring injury, the plan for the midfield will always contain Thomas and Rivero. I think it is ok if that third spot is less certain and also allowed to be filled based upon the opponent. Until the back four has shown that it does not need the protection of yet another D-mid, then I am guessing it will be Larentowicz or Mastroeni who fills that third spot. I don't think that they will play a true d-mid role though. Larentowicz at the end of last year was pushing forward more once Thomas took over d-mid. Others have pointed this out, but Mastroeni in those first two games was especially pushing further up the field than in the past. Pareja most likely want to fill that spot with a true tw0-way midfielder, but if the defense is really coming along and the Rapids are playing a team that is struggling, then it wouldn't surprise me to see him bring in a much more attacking minded player like Hill or Avila (should he sign).

The keys are the back four and just how dominating can Thomas be.

22. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the consensus is he will be moved, hard to see him getting minutes over Thomas or Pablo (returning Captain) besides what FO says.

23. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Not sure I see Pablo in a starting role. There seems to be no expectation that he is coming back as a starter, particularly with Thomas on the roster. I view him more as a steadying presence in the locker room, energy on the practice field and a really good sub to have when leadership is needed.

rod.

24. WJMarx

WJMarx BigSoccer Supporter

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO, a box to box midfielder of the Bradley ilk perfectly complements the talents of both Rivero & Thomas.

If Mastroeni is the choice ahead of Larentowicz both should be considering retirement. Replacing either with a true 2 way (box to box) midfield starter resonates with me.

25. murphyskicks

murphyskicks Member

May 15, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    There are a lot of good points about Pablo. I guess now I can see that he wouldn't be a starter.

Interesting perspectives on Rivero as well. I think he is most effective in the middle of the park, but it seems that most folks see him on the outside.

I think the first 4-6 weeks are going to bring growing pains for this team which is sad to say. I wish they would have endured these massive changes out of the way last year. It is crazy to think about the roster turnover we'll be looking at.