2012-2013 Off-Season Player Movement Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by OleGunnar20, Nov 3, 2012.

1. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    This really is a fascinating conversation btw, guys. Great stuff all round.

I would like to suggest that there exists a possibility as far as the relative lack of young signings from abroad this window. It could very well be that many scouts, GM's and coaches were in fact aiming higher, as advocated by many, this winter with respect to their top targets amongst youngsters. Such deals could have been kept quiet, fell through, put on the backburner until the summer window, and so on.

Of course, the other intriguing aspect in all of this was that mysterious quote from Payne and AFAIK we still don't have much more info about it than we did when he said it.

2. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeesh, yeah maybe you and suppity are right.

Still though, he's up there on the Liga BBVA goal charts - so I like the signing.

3. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never threw out the name Sanchez, that was you and SoCalYid. I'm not sure why you're even arguing the difference as I've pointed out there is a big difference. Take Sanchez personally out of the conversation if you want since I'm not concentrating on that one player. Of course getting Becks vs getting a Sanchez type is different, but no one would have considered getting Becks as likely, yet MLS came upon very good timing to nab him. And while MLS might not get the next Sanchez, if they keep trying they also might find a very talented prospect(s) where the timing is right and he considers moving to MLS instead of numerous other top leagues. It took great timing to get Becks. Why would you think opportunities like that (great timing) don't exist to get prospects a few levels above a Castillo?

Never argued that. I've pointed out at least twice in the last two pages that Castillo does show the right intent.

Shouldn't aim for higher quality prospects? Why the hell not? I never said or brought up Sanchez, you did, I've just said look for more talented U23 age talent in S America. Might not get a Sanchez level player but you can aim higher than Castillo.

But don't aim higher? Then MLS never would have targeted Becks. Wouldn't have gotten Henry. Would you tell Sea that because they're getting players like Montero and Tiffert and DP's they should aim for Drogba? MLS aims high going after DP's. MLS aims high going after that 2022 goal. Why wouldn't they aim high going after younger talent as well?

Disagree with this. Garber has stated exactly how we should be judged as a top league in 2022 and I've posted it around here more than once. The first point was quality. He said we want to equal the top leagues quality wise in 2022. Of course that was one of five points, but you're going to have a tough time convincing people MLS is a top league if the quality says otherwise.

The top 4 leagues are considered the top 4 by everyone based on quality. Sure revenue and learge fan bases/tv contracts are a huge part, but it's the quality that makes them the top 4 leagues, not the other aspects. Serie A has a lot of half full stadiums, a bunch of shitty stadiums too, yet that doesn't play into the top 4 conversation. France and Holland are considered by most to be two of the next three leagues outside of the top 4 based on quality.

You know, I don't think we disagree much in theory, just timetable. I don't think getting elite U23 type talent is realistic now, but that it should be a serious goal going forward, and more worthwhile than throwing 1M at a Boyd or 3M at a Frings. I've never said a Castillo type was bad for the league, actually said it's a step in the right direction. I agree it's a step by step process. I'm not pinning about current progress, I'm just stating the direction I think MLS should head going forward and with it's limited resources the best way to attempt to raise quality, and progress I'd like to see over the next 10 years.

4. Kappa74

Kappa74 Member+

Feb 2, 2010
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    For the sake of accuracy, Martins currently plays for Levante, not Malaga. Saviola, who has been linked with Seattle in trade rumors, plays for Malaga.

5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    HailtotheKing repped this.