2012-2013 Off-Season Player Movement Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by OleGunnar20, Nov 3, 2012.

1. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I love the Galaxy dumping Buddle. He looked really, really poor last year. Like some alien life form had inhabited his body - looked nothing like the guy who left in 2010. Definitely best to dump him now than struggle with that again.

They've made good moves in quickly dumping JPA and him in the past few years. Wish the Red Bulls had been nearly as decisive with dumping Rafa.

2. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody should ever want Chad Barrett on their team.

3. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Great guy, and very intelligent. Should have a future as a broadcaster. Played well for the Quakes in 2005. But man, he was slow when he was 25. At 34 he will be glacial.

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  5. theENFORCER

theENFORCER Member

Apr 10, 2010
    NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portland seems to be going after Diskerud. That would be a fantastic signing for them and he would count less than the average DP due to his age.

It's going to be interesting to see what Porter does in Portland with all that young talent.

6. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    it would be really funny and a dick move if TFC claims Diskerud before Portland

7. aperfectring

aperfectring Member+

Jul 13, 2011
    Hillsboro, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    People are claiming that, as a part of the prior trade, there was a gentleman's agreement that TFC would pass on a player Portland was bringing back in through allocation. I don't know that I believe that, but it could be.

8. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    NYRB didn't even bother to show up to the 2nd-round re-entry draft. They were obviously not interested at all in anyone available.

9. aletheist

aletheist Member+

Nov 17, 2010
    Olathe, Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All indications are that SKC will announce the signing of Claudio Bieler on Tuesday. I would think that he qualifies as "a true DP forward."

10. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    I most certainly agree--I meant of the teams I mentioned with aging forwards often stuck up top alone in a 4-5-1 or 4-3-3. SKC isn't one of those since Sapong is so young. And Bieler is in his prime.

To think that a Pajoy or Blas Perez or Casey or Buddle is going to be "the" season-long answer in those formations is farcical. The Koevermans/Hassli duo might work if they can alternate injuries and playing time down the stretch.

11. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    MLS should invite 2 Canadian college players a year to the draft combine. There are some good players in Canada. It's just impossible to ever get scouted on their own.

12. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    You mean players that play in Canadian colleges., right?

Not Canadian college soccer players, right?

13. SweetOwnGoal

SweetOwnGoal Member

Jan 5, 2003
    11.9986 km from BMO Field
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Barrett absolutely gets undervalued. Take a had look at his production stats from 2010 in Toronto (last year he was looked at as the primary, starting scoring option on a team. They are much better than most people assume they would be -- and they were put up while with TFC.

14. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    Yeah, Barrett was pretty useful in 2010 and 2011. His goals/90 in 2011 was basically the same as Espindola or Dominic Oduro (during what was hailed as a breakout year). He was around .4 g/90 in 2010 as well.

He isn't someone you can win a title with as your go-to goalscorer, but he is fairly useful (although perhaps overpaid at $220k).

15. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Correct. Canadian college players playing in Canada.

16. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they aren't eligible for the draft, what is stopping Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, and Edmonton from signing them? It's apparently freely available Canadian talent that's just there for the taking. Unless...they aren't that good. I don't know anything about Canadian college soccer players, but I'd imagine that if some of them were pro quality that someone, somewhere would sign them.

17. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Inviting two to the combine might convince some that they can compete after seeing them play vs the competition. It would also give them exposure to 16 more potential teams. There are a few more Emery Welshman/ Kyle Bekkers out there, it's just tough to get seen.

No different than the Canadian USSDA/MLS academy grads now playing in the NCAA. The majority of those kids would never get any exposure to NCAA coaches prior to the USSDA/Sum Cup. Are some of the players better now in an academy environment? Sure. However, there have always been good players, they just couldn't get scouted.

18. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    SKC to introduce their new designated player tomorrow. All signs point towards Claudio Bieler. Will be interesting to see if it is because of salary or mainly because of transfer fee.

19. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Sandon Mibut repped this.
  21. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or San Jose.

22. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    but not Vancouver

23. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    As any Canadian will tell you, Vancouver is in the Southwest. :)

Mr Martin, pate, Sandon Mibut and 2 others repped this.
  24. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    touche

25. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KensingtonSC and HailtotheKing repped this.