2012-2013 Ligue 1 Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Olympique Lyonnais' started by KellanF, Aug 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
  2. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    tonight's match reminded me even more of the great teams of the last decade than the velodrome smackdown did.

first of all because despite the cold weather it was probably the biggest crowd and certainly the best atmosphere at gerland so far this year... in part because it was the BG87's 25th anniversary (which i wasn't even aware of until i got there).

but also because the whole thing was so professional. OL was clearly better the first half hour and probably the whole first half, but after the break they were naturally very tired, both from the big match three days ago and from the effort put into the first half to grab the lead from a very good montpellier squad. they started hoofing it out of their half and letting MHSC have the ball, but never docilely retreated back to their own 30, always started pressing in the paillade half. RG put in the subs as needed to plug the gaps. then in the last 15 minutes ,when they could smell the stable, they upped their game and finished the job. perfect management of the temps forts and temps faibles. no surprises. never any real danger.

just win baby.

AfrcnHrbMan repped this.
  3. KellanF

KellanF Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Midwestern US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Grenier comes off crying. Hamstring. Very worrying. :thumbsdown:

4. KellanF

KellanF Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Midwestern US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Dabo really has to control himself.

5. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    it's true, but with the knocks he was taking... gradel should have got a yellow at the same time dabo saw red... in fact you can almost claim the way he shined his shoe on mouhamadou's face deserved red in its own right.

and what to say about alonso's petage de plombs? two stupid yellows in two minutes to walk less than 10 minutes after coming in. galtier must have been cstatic.

anyway, that's all nursery school. the important question? c'est qui les plus forts? bêh, c'est pas les verts! évidemment!

AfrcnHrbMan repped this.
  6. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    [​IMG]
    the ferrari (ruffier)

[​IMG]
    the 2CV (vercoutre)

7. CoDave

CoDave Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Colorado USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I'm probably going to ruffle some feathers, but when I saw Grenier crying for 20 minutes, I kept wondering about something. If it were Gourcuff crying while limping off, the French media (and public for that matter) would have had a great time ripping him to shreds and calling him a Care Bear. Just sayin.

8. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Youre probably right about that. Then again Grenier is still a baby in ligue 1 terms and I think he crying was also from disapointment since he was just starting to get some good form going.

9. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    here's the difference and the real poop behind this : this is not grenier's first derby or his second or even third. it may be his 20th. he's been playing derbies since he was just a sprout; he got derbies with his mother's milk. to a boy with his background, kickin' ass and takin' names at GG is living THE dream. and clacking a hamstring 10 minutes into the mother of all derbies is THE nightmare.

10. CoDave

CoDave Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Colorado USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I agree with both of you. I'm not passing judgement on Grenier AT ALL. There's nothing wrong with shedding a tear due to pain or disappointment or a combination of the two. I'm just sharing an observation ..and I'll admit, simply an assumption..that Yoann would've been dragged through the mud for showing any sign of a tear in his eye. I've been noticing double standards in the player ratings all season too. If Gourcuff has an average game he'll end up with a 5 or 4 where as his teammates will consistently earn a 6, 6.5 for some very lackluster performances. Thoughts?

StarrMatthieu repped this.
  11. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Gourcuff is obviously going to be held to a high standard, rightly or wrongly, because he won League 1 player of the year at Bordeaux and because of his experience with Les Bleus, and also because of the amount of money that Lyon spent for him.

I haven't noticed what you mentioned about the player ratings. Are you refering to the fans player ratings or the official ratings form L'Equipe etc?

StarrMatthieu repped this.
  12. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    crikey. when grenier went off i said to myself, "well, at least gourcuff is back".

and now i learn he pulled a groin muscle in the derby and is out for the rest of 2012.

13. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Seems like a lot of the Lyon fans in France want to sell off Gourcuff after this latest injury, siting his huge salary and in ability to stay healthy.

14. KellanF

KellanF Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Midwestern US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    What?!!!

Well aren't we protected from his salary by some kind of insurance as we were with John Mensah?

I wonder if that's the last we've seen of him in a Lyon jersey, then.

15. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    infuriating match against nancy!

so strange to see one side so obviously superior in talent and physique and yet see the other get the better chances and probably deserve to win. as always there was good, and bad, but above all there was frustrating.

vercoutre put in a good match and saved us more than once, but made a serious error that undid all his good work. RVR getting injured = bad, jordan ferri doing so well replacing him = good. bisevac was great, and accomplished more in terms of passing and percussion than mvuemba and fofana combined, those two were pitiful and the main reason we never got anything good going. lovren was what he was, at least he has a full match under his belt before PSG. but it brings up a very distressing question : with lovren back, umtiti having played as many minutes as anyone the last month, dabo suspended, you're sure to see monzon at LB, right? wrong, which likely means he's been just as bad in practice as in the matches we've seen. a bum. and now we're likely to see umtiti there again against PSG (dabo got TWO matches for his baby headbutt, as much as ibra got for his assassination attempt on ruffier. there's no justice)... at least he does a decent job there.

malbraque useful as always, mvuemba and fofana absolutely useless. with gonalons, grenier and gourcuff all out at least one of them had to really step up, and neither even did an honest night's work. backtracking and square passes don't cut it against the lanterne rouge with ten players behind the ball. lacazette OK, but he's injured now too. lisandro as for lovren, just decent but at least he got some pitch time before the big match this weekend. gomis a beast but very difficult to get anything done back to goal under the circumstances. bastos a big disappointment to me; except for his goal he did very little right; a player you expect to accelerate the game and all he did was slow it down... though a colleague rightly pointed out that when he was on the right (most of the time) he was poor but when he was on the left things were better. and he did get the equalizer.

16. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    against PSG the cards looked stacked against us. not only are they hotter than a $2 pistol, we are very shorthanded. lacazette is apparently out, and briand ia not ready yet, but the real question is réveillère... with dabo suspended (grrrrrr....) we're down to no real fullbacks unless you count monzon. at least gonalons is back.

lisandro - gomis - bastos​
    malbranque​
    gonalons - fofana​
    umtiti - lovren - bisevac - ferri​
    vercoutre​

doesn't look that bad but besides the problems we're going to have on our defensive flanks, there's not much to talk about after the 11, and paris is going to be able to count on 14 bodies in an intense match. i really don't like our chances.

17. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Lyon always have a ton of injuries during this time of the season. maybe its a perennial curse, or maybe the players dont adjust their warmup routine properly for the cold weather.:(

18. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    No comments on the match? I don't blame anyone. Seemed a bit of listless performance, though I wouldn't say that OL played poorly. There just didn't seem to be any determination in their play. We could have gotten a point out of this and I still think we are of a level with PSG. I don't like how Garde has conceeded the title to PSG already, there's a lot to play, and if we don't drop unecessary points like against Nancy in the midweek we will be in the hunt come late in the year. And there's the whole controversy about Zlatan stamping on Lovren. I can't decide whether he meant to or not, but it doesn't look good.

19. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well lisandro sure looked determined to get his team going, OL played defensively well keeping zlatan from shooting and making goal saving challenges, umtiti and lovren come to mind
    can't say much about the challenge because for one the ref blew the whistle while he was in the air, he was going after the ball but its still a nasty thing to look at

20. NicolasN.

NicolasN. Member

Oct 25, 2007
    France
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
  21. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    You're insane. A full strength Lyon with Malbranque playing to his usual level (he sucked balls yesterday) could have easily take 1 if not 3 points yesterday. Did PSG dominate possession? No. Did they have a few more scoring chances? Perhaps, but only because OL were deprived of Gourcuff, Grenier, and Malbranque was invisible.

22. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    looks 110% intentional to me. if what dabo did to gradel is 2 matches this should be 4. but what ibra did to ruffier was between 3 and 4 and he got 1+1. so i'm not holding my breath.

lefutur repped this.
  23. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    the feeling here was that OL can nourish some small regrets. one half to our advantage, one to PSG's (their perhaps more to their advantage, but they didn't score), a upright hit only centimeters from going in... a goal given up in the last seconds of the first half was the difference and make no mistake, paris WON this match, but by the smallest of all possible margins.

considering a) that the match was at the parc and b) that neither grenier nor gourcuff was available (dabo's suspension finally not a problem because umtiti did fine) i think this match showed that we really can play toe-to-toe with PSG and with three teams tied in points the second half of the season should be a barn-burner.

AfrcnHrbMan and lefutur repped this.
  24. NicolasN.

NicolasN. Member

Oct 25, 2007
    France
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    If being insane equals not being biased and talking about what really happened on the pitch then I'm.

25. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    [​IMG]