2012-2013 Bundesliga Match Day 22: Borussia Dortmund v Eintracht Frankfurt [R]

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by footyfan1, Feb 15, 2013.

?

How Will Saturday Evening's Match Between BVB and Frankfurt Turn Out?

Poll closed Feb 17, 2013.
  1. Big Victory For BVB (By two goals or more)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Big Victory For Eintracht Frankfurt

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Close Victory For BVB

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  4. Close Victory For Eintracht Frankfurt

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Controversial Victory For BVB

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Controversial Victory For Eintracht Frankfurt

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Controversial Draw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Draw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. I don't know how it will turn out.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm talking about the group of players that can potentially make up the front band of a tactical alteration...

Yea well, I can't help you with that.

Maybe juvenile because you have failed to contextualize my statement. It's in your explanation. He's more conservative. He will track back more and is inherently a functional player instead of a proactive player. There's a reason he's played at RB and even has slotted into the middle at times in the past. If we are talking about a striker-less 4-3-3, you need to evaluate what the players in the front band can contribute and if we had to place Kuba in the starting eleven it would most likely be in the central band or at RB instead of upfront.

2. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you guys coming up with all these different formations are giving Klopp too much credit. He's not that great a tactician. He'll keep going with what he knows. We'll have a striker next season. The only question is "who will it be?"

HarveyDent repped this.
  3. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think there's something you don't seem to get with Eintracht Frankfurt. They try to win all their home points and battle for the away points which they think they can win. They went into Dortmund hoping to just steal a point. That was painfully obvious.

However, we do agree on the major point. Eintracht Frankfurt is not ready for Europe. However, if no other team steps up and knocks them out of the top six, Europe is where they will be next season.

That was no tactical stroke by Klopp. That was a necessary move. A no-brainer. Let's see how we start at Gladbach next week.

I agree with most said about Reus and Gotze. I just wish they were more consistent.

Kuba is just fine. He needed to be a bit more defensive with Piszczek not at 100%. This is going to affect Kuba's game.

Totally agree here. These days Gundogan makes it all go......

I don't think both yellows were "soft." I think he earned the first one. Most of the time I see that type of foul in the Bundesliga, it results in a booking. While the second one was incidental, not intentional, German referees have been giving yellow for that sort of play for a few years now. However, in a situation like that early in a match, Dr. Brych could have also chosen to warn Schieber that his next foul of any type would result in the sending off. I think Dr. Brych sent Scheiber off more thanks to the Frankfurt player's reaction than the actual foul itself. But either way, I can't call either yellow "soft" or say Dr. Brych was wrong.

4. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Still, if they didn't feel confident in their abilities to win at the Westfelstadion, they could've put ten men behind the ball and played a defensive game, which usually Dortmund struggles with, but they didn't and played a very open game. Plus, that still doesn't excuse their disgraceful performance.

I never said Klopp thought up some brilliant tactical master plan. Simply explaining it as I saw it.

I believe consistency will come with experience. Just saying Götze and Reus put in world-class performances against Frankfurt yesterday.

To each their own, I just was disappointed with Kuba for that particular game. It wasn't so much his involvement as his offensive decision making for me. Also let it be known I really rate him, I think he's a great player who really is the face of Klopp's Dortmund.

If I were the ref, I would consider whether or not it was prudent to make such a game changing decision as to send off Scheiber. The first foul was probably a yellow, but the second one was 50/50 for me, and so I thought it would've been better to caution Scheiber and let it go without a booking. Just my .02, no need to agree.

5. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I wasn't trying to excuse anything. Just possibly explain it.

And I never said you said this. Just gave my opinion on the situation.

Agree. And again, I was just giving my opinion on the subject.

Just another example of how two people can see the same thing two different ways. Or just not totally agree on what they saw. I thought Kuba was good overall. Not below average, not superb, but good. As you say below, we don't have to agree and I'm fine with that. I think the world would be a boring place if we all agreed on everything. :) :cool:

I think we agree here. This is where I said I thought Dr. Brych should have talked to Schieber and told him that his next foul of any type would result in the sending off. I think Dr. Brych was influenced by the reaction of the Frankfurt player.

For me, there was no doubt the first foul was a yellow. On the second one, I'm sure you know a few years ago referees were instructed by the DFB to give yellow cards and in some instances, red cards for players going into air challenges with their elbows. This is nothing new or unusual. As stated above, we agree on the opinion that the ref should have talked to Schieber on that one. But he chose not to and he wasn't wrong for doing so.

Now, I didn't say you said the referee was wrong. This is just my opinion. It isn't a direct response to anything you said.

This is one thing we totally agree about. We don't need to agree. I've said this exact thing to many a person here over the years.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  6. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I believe we have come to a good spot to end this discussion for now. Good day to you.

7. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kicker Ratings Key:

1 – World Class

2 – Very Good

3 – Average/Decent

4 – Slightly Below Average

5 – Pretty Bad

6 – Completely Horrible

NR – Not Rated

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Borussia Dortmund: Weidenfeller (3) - Piszczek (3.5), Subotic (2.5), Hummels (1), Schmelzer (3) - Gündogan (1), S. Bender (2.5) - Blaszczykowski (3), M. Götze (1),
    Reus (1), Schieber (5)

BVB Subs:
    66th Minute: Grosskreutz for Kuba
    82nd Minute: Leitner for Götze
    89th Minute: Sahin for Gündogan
    All Not Rated

Eintracht Frankfurt: Trapp (3) - S. Jung (2), Zambrano (4.5), Anderson (4.5), Oczipka (3.5) - Schwegler (4.5), Rode (4.5) - Aigner (5), Meier (5), Inui (3) - Lakic (3.5)

Eintracht Frankfurt Subs:
    60th Minute: Occean (4) for Aigner
    77th Minute: Matmour (NR) for Lakic
    80th Minute: Celozzi (NR) for Rode

8. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i would give Mats a .5
    and gotze a 1.5...but otherwise sound ratings...

Mats...just all around awesome...one of the finest center backs in the world....

9. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Agreed. Great at bringing the ball out of defence, can make plays, tackling technique is elite, positionally sound a lot of the time, etc. Just needs to work on decision-making, consistency, and knowing when to tackle ad when to hold down an attacker to wait for backup.

10. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hummels' confidence is stronger when he knows he's got Subotic there to cover his ass. Having Gundogan back helped Hummels too.

Covering Hummels when he moves to do other things is where Santana failed miserably. I honestly thought Santana could work better with Hummels than he did.

Santana proved me to be very wrong about him.......

11. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would not be so down on him...
    i think he has had a run of poor form....but playing sporadically for several seasons now - does not help...
    I think if he had a full season under his belt....his psyche would be stronger...
    tough for a player who sees himself as a starter to "plug" a hole here and there

12. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Since we're discussing Santana, my thoughts on the Santana-Hummels pairing, and Santana himself, reposted from the Hamburg-Dortmund thread:

13. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Man, the first time, not playing was an acceptable excuse. But when Subotic went down, it was Santana's chance. He'd already had some time with Hummels this season. All he had to do was prove he could handle playing next to Hummels.

Santana proved he cannot. He didn't even prove he was learning anything. He proved that he just couldn't figure out how to play with Hummels.

I'm sorry, I can't agree that "a full season under his belt" would help anything here.

Santana needs to play in a system where he can be simply a stopper and an occassional scorer.

He can't do it here in Dortmund. He's shown it now.

I would agree that Felipe Santana is still going to be a good player. However, he's going to do it elsewhere.

Bring on Lasse Sobiech, Koray Gunter...........

Cris 09 repped this.