2012/13 Rumors, Speculation and Roster Punditry

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Boloni86, Nov 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sigh. Of course. That's why I said "question marks" rather than "someone who sucks."

Come on, Chris.

2. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's better. I was about to tell you shut up because I was tired of you telling all of us to shut up. You need to stop letting your work negatively influence your posting here or we are going to have to let you go.

4. DCU1984

DCU1984 Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A 20 year old with 46 appearances for a club in the top Brazilian league who has played on some sort of youth Brazilian national team. This looks like a potentially good move to me especially if there is a chance to purchase him if things go well. Should be an upgrade over Josh Wolf/Long Tan at least.

skippy repped this.
  5. Shammypantaloons

Apr 20, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Wasn't his team like 16th place? and from what I have seen posted elsewhere, he's not always a starter.

Being Brazilian doesn't instantly make you good.

6. DCU1984

DCU1984 Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No but being that young having a lot of appearances for a team in a better league than MLS (IMO) is a good indication that he might have some potential. For someone who is probably not going to take up much of the salary cap it seems like a decent move.

7. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Wait. Wasn't Welton a super star!?!? I may have to rethink things...

Alejandro 10 repped this.
  8. Alejandro 10

Alejandro 10 Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    It has been more than a few days since I've heard that "Marquee Player" 's name floated around.

It must have been that All-Star 1996 effort as I could have sworn he was a "Marquee Player" allocation. However, according to this little tid-bit I remembered incorrectly.

9. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    Welton, I haven't thought of him in a while. He was brought in for an "audition" with a number of other young Brazilian and Argentinian players back in '96. It was from this group that we acquired Mario Gori. The only other player from this group to play in the league was another Argentinian (whose name escapes me) who played for the Revs.

One other thing: did you notice that Cobi Jones' name is not on the list of allocated players?
    Yeah, the Calvin ball started early.

asitis

Boloni86 repped this.
  10. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just realized we only have 1 draft pick...#17. Our second round was traded to New England for Fred

11. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Rafael "Gladiador" Teixeira de Souza. I took a look at Bahia's website and he seems to be their best youth player. He was really, really good in the 2011 Sao Paolo youth championship and useful in the Serie A last year. They have two veterans and two other young forwards neither of which look that good. He's six foot and 182 pounds. From his highlight reel he looks like he has an MLS ready body with good skills and a good shots. This feels less like DC getting surplus talent and more like a small Brazilian club is shopping their best asset. Sounds promising.

X@V!3R and Bolivianfuego repped this.
  12. Untroubled by Reason

Dec 5, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "...ever seen any movies about Gladiators, Joey?"

[​IMG]

13. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Kasper hears about this the shit's gonna hit the fan!

Untroubled by Reason repped this.
  14. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    According to that article he scored 10 goals in 36 games for the main team. That is more than impressive for a teenager's debut in a small team. Of course, you gotta remember that Brazilian teams play a national and a regional tournament plus a national cup. So he's played a little over half the games available.

15. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This doesn't mean much, but when translating portuguese commentary on him from youtube etc, you get the feeling many people don't think he has much of a future.
    We'll see.

16. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I think it's more likely this.

17. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Is Hank III sponsoring that team?

fatbastard repped this.
  18. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Interesting....

Lucas Gomes can you give us any inside, amigo brasilero?

Do you know anything of this gentleman?

19. Lucas...

Lucas... Member+

Dec 18, 2012
    I know little. I'll talk based on what little I saw in 2012 and in the opinion of Bahia fans.

He played very well in the Copa São Paulo de Futebol Júnior 2011, the U20 competition most famous of Brazil, where the Bahia came in second place .. It was the team's top scorer in the competition (6 goals) and the decisive victory over Santos in the quarter-finals (the nickname Gladiador came from this confrontation). In the final, he scored the only goal of Bahia in defeat against Flamengo 2-1.

However, not excelled in first team. His first chance was in 2011. Most of the fans hated it, mainly the lack of intelligence and inability to score goals. In the Brazilian Championship 2012, played in 9 games and scored 1 goal.

Conclusion: is young and excelled in the youth categories. Joined to pros as a great revelation (International wanted to hire him and had his proposal rejected) and does not stand after 18 months ago in pros team. A lot a fans of Bahia started hating him. Believe he won chances too and did not correspond. No one regrets his loan to DC United. . Now, we must remember that Bahia has a team too weak, it's a problem to Rafael.

1,83m - 86kg
    13/07/1992

That's it.

sitruc, benni..., Barbieri and 6 others repped this.
  20. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    So I'm going to guess that most of his appearances and goals were for the Bahia regional championship. Umm, okay, so I'm less excited now. Is this a case of good, young player that needs to get out of toxic situation with overblown expectations or the case of an immature player that has talent but can't get it together in the bigger scene? I guess we'll find out.

21. Lucas...

Lucas... Member+

Dec 18, 2012
    Rafael scored three goals in the Bahia State Championship 2012.

In the BRazilian League 2012, the goal that I referred was made in the last round, against Atletico-GO (goal that saved the Bahia, who struggled against relegation). The goal was easy.

Bolivianfuego repped this.
  22. Alejandro 10

Alejandro 10 Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Ain't that the truth.

23. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Muito obrigado lucas! :)

I too am not as excited about this move anymore. There is reason it is under the radar.

Barbieri repped this.
  24. The Beard Of Samson

Nov 28, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    I wonder if DC will take a similar approach like last year by inviting 12-15 USL/NASL/free agent players to training camp and try to find a hidden gem? I remember feeling bad for Richter and C'DeBaca for making it all the way through until the last week of cuts.

25. United fury

United fury Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rafael is still very young at age 20 and may become something yet. As probably #4-#5 in the forward pecking order, this is probably a very low risk, medium reward sort of loan deal. I wouldn't expect the world from this guy, but if he could add 3-4 goals over the course of the year then I wouldn't not complain.