2012/13 Rumors, Speculation and Roster Punditry

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Boloni86, Nov 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm more interested in Jalen Robinson as our next RB than bringing back Najar.

fatbastard repped this.
  2. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When players leave United - they either get historically great "back when they were here" or they get historically bad "back when they were here" - usually depending on the person relating the history's like or dislike of them while they were actually here. And in no way reflecting how good or bad they actually were :)
    History changes over time and beer.

He had great promise at right back, but he was not there yet as an MLS-caliber outside back, let alone an MLS-Allstar-caliber RB. He was good and getting better.

We got payed more for Najar than he was worth for us to keep, and I hardly see him as a bust for Anderlecht.

Has anyone heard either party is unhappy with his progress since he went there? I think it's gone pretty well for his age and experience level adjusting to a new country and team's style.

3. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Fatbastards Theory of General Relativity

4. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, Najar was injured all through the spring, so you're basically writing him off after 3 months of his European career? Just checking that I got that right.

5. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Andy's fine at Anderlecht. He's only 20. Not every 20 year old can expect to just walk into the starting lineup at a club like Anderlecht. The season just started there. I'd wait til next spring until I jump to conclusions.

And this whole "mediocre league" to "mediocre league" thing is nonsense. Anderlecht is a massive step forward for Andy. Anderlecht is a legit big club that regularly sells players for 7 and 8 figure transfer fees to the biggest spenders in Europe. DC United does not. And even if that never happens for Andy and he plays out his contract like Kljestan it would still be better than anything DC could offer. At Anderlecht he can win Belgian titles and play in Champions League.

NASI GORENG repped this.
  6. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Or he can give himself a mani-pedi as he sits on the bench while his team beats up on FC Waasland-Beveren.

7. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Fair point. Although I suspect if he doesn't get playing time by winter transfer window they'll find him a suitable loan. I don't think Anderlecht bought him to profit from him within the first few months. He's 20 and is a project still.

At the end of the day you know who scouts Anderlecht? Man United, Chelsea, Bayern, Ajax, Milan etc ...

Who scouts DC United? Apparently Anderlecht ...

NASI GORENG repped this.
  8. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    If he has some speed than sure.

9. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    We need outside backs with technique/skill on the ball. The formation Ben seems committed to requires it. Our attack always breaks down under high pressure because our backs panic.

Boloni86 repped this.
  10. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States