2012-13 Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by theENFORCER, Nov 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DjTannerr

DjTannerr Member

Dec 3, 1999
    New York/Milwaukee,WI
    Yeah... Marquez's name pops up often in NYRB local news. He seems to be useful for marketing purposes. Which is why I wouldn't be surprised if there's a trade with ChivasUSA due to their renewed focus on Latino players. Plus, they seem to like our players.

2. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Don't get me wrong I'd ship him to LA in a heartbeat, but he played for Chivas's rival club, their fans hate him.

3. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    I don't think that is so vital that a Coach have to have MLS experience, is true that knowledge will help, but only if the coach have a good program in place with him, what you need is to be a person with adaptability with a program at long terms and surrounded with personal with that knowledge like "Petke", and to develop a plan to give us a MLS CUP in three years at least.....Backe have the chance having Richie and Petke as his assistants, and he become a knowledge MLS Coach, but he never try to build a team of the future, he was engaged into win something right away and never got out of that thinking, therefore not looking to develop any players for tomorrow to replace the elders players that he bring; instead he continue bringing more elders players to replace the ones that don't give any results, and that was what bring him to the end of the rope....

4. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coach needs to study teams inMLS and develop strategy, long and short term for success. Our GM or Sp Director is the guy taht need to know all the neuances and player personnele of MLS. Coul dbe blind leading the blind right now and learning curbe will be needed without an experienced guy aboard somewhere.

5. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    That is my point, that if you will have an assistant like Peke that will coach you in the beginning, beside I say, you have to have a long term program, like this in the mean while since he develop some youngsters and build the team, he will have the time to become knowledge of the MLS system and know the teams around....That will not take him more than the first half of his first year....

6. defendyourself

Jul 13, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    100% agree.

7. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    We have to remember and compare what happen to Backe, the first year was a improvement over 2009, because Richie was there, once they fire him by 2011 the season was a disaster, 2012 was a like 2010 because Petke was there, so any new coach to come; is the only he have to do, keep and hear the indications of his assistant if he is a MLS knowledgeable like Richie or Petke to guide him for that intricate rod that is MLS....

8. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. defendyourself

Jul 13, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good start, but as you mention we still have a couple anchors holding this ship down. Hopefully the source is right about "major overhaul" coming up, in terms of some high profile people going. However, there is no need to blow up the team.

10. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm really curious about Miller's contract status. He's been here for 3 years already. Does he have much left on it? The fact that he wasn't part of this round of cuts saddens me.

11. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As for the actual moves made -

Gaudette - Was nothing more than a stop gap measure with all the injuries. Appreciate his run of games in the middle of the year but he wasn't a long term solution.

Robles and Meara both had really good runs with this past season and they can battle it out for the first spot. Vuolo or someone cheap like him will take the 3rd gk spot. Robles and Meara both have very manageable salaries and are both more than capable. The gk spot should be a position of strength moving forward.

Tainio - 2011 was a better year for him. We saw how much we missed him in the playoffs vs LA after his injury. But he is older and injury prone. It's time to move on.

Solli - Great guy. Have to appreciate that he was willing to adapt to any position. Wasn't particularly spectacular but was solid. His versatility was the reason I thought we may have held on to him but his salary is a bit higher than the value he provides and he is a replaceable guy. But he was a class act while he was here.

Angulo - Who cares.

12. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to transfermarkt his contract ends in December of this year.

13. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree on Gaudette especially since:
    1. Robles might get a raise. Right now he's making peanuts.
    2. Meara gives us 2 QUALITY keepers.
    3. GK # 3 and 4 should be making the league minimum for salary cap purposes. Gaudette was making about 20,000 over that. No need.

Injuries piling up and high salary with Dax as our #1 CDM and Palsson possibly as our backup.

Injuries, high salary, lost a step. Time to move on.

The real question here is going to be what to do with Cooper, LeToux and Pearce.

Cooper and Pearce have astronomical salaries and LeToux...well...he's LeToux...

14. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Well, beside Conde and Miller we don't have any Left Back and one of them have to stay until the new coach find some one and beside all of this, Miller is only a 112K player and that influence a lot in MLS.... But I hope that they can find some body sooner than later, because I think that Conde is on the list too....

15. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miller needs to go and Conde was unofficially cut by Backe, somehow i dont think the organization will be contacting Conde again.

Clavijo or Sven Gorann Eriksson---or bust!!:p

16. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    They've already cut two Scandanavians, I don't think they're placing much stock in the favorites of the previous regime Bring back Conde!

17. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure why everyone rates Conde so low. He was excellent for us when Backe wasn't putting him in the doghouse.

Yes yes, he had a run in with the law, but it didn't seem that eventful and after he got over his early season injuries he was very solid for us.

Also, he wasn't making that much money this year. If we could get him for a low salary again next year I think that would be a steal.

18. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He reminds me of Andre Santos from Arsenal... in terms of looks and personalty to the law. They would be the perfect gays.

19. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    I like Conde and think that as a CB is one of the best player we have...But who knows what is his problem and why he was absent, and miss three or four games...

20. jeremydneezy

jeremydneezy Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Greenville, SC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am in favor of bringing Conde back. I thought he was a rock when healthy and he showed flexibility by deputizing at left back for a stretch. As mentioned earlier he is on a very manageable contract (125k). I think he can be part of a sensible, well-constructed team sheet.
    Miller has to go. I wouldn't even think about keeping him around on a 30k contract, much less his current 112k deal!!!
    It's time for the new regime to invest in a proper left back. Keep Pearce and Conde as the CB pairing and invest in true fullbacks. Maybe use the draft to flesh out the back line with regards to positional depth. I like Robles. I feel set at GK with him and Meara.
    I think Cooper is too expensive. He had a great year but I think his stat line is rather flattering for a guy who provides very little in terms of hold-up or link-up play. I think we need to allow Henry and Cahill to play up top and bring in some quality wingers who can stretch the defense and provide consistent service. If Cooper can be kept on a more manageable contract then I am all for it but I doubt he is on the opening day roster.

21. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have not seen posts that rate Conde low.

It's just that no one thinks he will necessarily be around next year because he committed the cardinal sin in Austria's eyes : He criticized Red Bull.

IMO, He's gonna make someone else a damned good CB next year.

22. theENFORCER

theENFORCER Member

Apr 10, 2010
    NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Cooper at times did a great job at using his size to his advantage and holding up the ball. But I do understand what you mean as he does get dribble happy and drifts further back into the midfield(although this was more frequent in the beginning of the year) I actually think Hans did a good job for his development as he emphasized Cooper to use his size but then again the Hans did play with his form by randomly benching him at times.

But I can't see how we can afford to lose a player who scored 18 goals for us.. He's a beast in the box, has great finishing ability, busts his ass + great team guy and he has a good skillset for a forward. Lets be real if we got a forward from Europe(lets say Del Piero) and he scored 18 goals with the same impact as Cooper we'd be marveled of how great of a signing that was.

I understand why people would want Cahill as forward but I think there's room for us to have a lineup with Henry, Cooper and Cahill all playing as attacking players.. My first thought was playing Henry as a SS or a CAM with Cooper and Cahill as forwards. There's also tons of ways to tinker with a lineup like this as we can virtually have Henry and Cahill switch roles in midgame. I also never understood why we never really used Henry as a CAM. I understand that he might struggle defensively but when we had Tainio, Dax and Lindpere in the lineup you can count on them to cover the midfield and not to mention Henry frequently drops in the midfield to act like a midfielder. It's obvious that Henry at this point of his career likes playing as a creator or distributor, why not let him play as the #10 or as the "point guard" of the team?
    -----Cooper
    --------------Cahill
    ------Henry
    New LM-------------Sam?
    ------------Dax
    New LB-Pearce-Conde-Barklage

I also think a 4-3-3 can work as well. Henry, Cooper and Cahill as the front three. Cahill will have the option to make darting runs and get in the box but also have the ability to drop back in the midfield. Basically be the player that Le Toux was attempted(although mismanaged) to play as.. Cooper can also switch with Cahill at RW as Cahill does like to drop back although he's a better target forward with his size and finishing ability. Just imagine how scary of a frontline that would be?
    Henry--Cooper--Cahill
    ---Palsson**--New Mid
    ----------Dax
    New LB--Pearce--Conde--Barklage

MetroChile repped this.
  23. theENFORCER

theENFORCER Member

Apr 10, 2010
    NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, at his price he's a STEAL. It's a sin that Miller is almost making the same $$ as him

24. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Well, speaking the true, he criticized Soler and Backe and they both are gone already, the new director and new coach to come have not beef against him and really I think he will stay, at least I will like to see him on RBNY uniformer...

And you remember what I say about, what a coach it has to have in perspective, Developed young players and a long term program to build a team of the future, not 2013 or 2014, the future... Red the article...

http://www.newyorkredbulls.com/news/2012/11/qa-sporting-director-andy-roxburgh

25. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    We did try that exact formation against Seattle this year. Henry didn't just struggle defensively, he flat out refused to do anything defensively and gave the ball away in dangerous spots because his first instinct is to take guys on the dribble. Seattle ran at us so freely that half hour into the game Henry demanded a change back to the 4-4-2. And that was with Lade-Dax-Lindpere behind him, three guys who work very hard to cover ground. Henry wants to be as close to goal as possible, he hates having to drop back to receive the ball so I don't think it would benefit the team to put him there full time.