2012-13 Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by theENFORCER, Nov 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
  2. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3rd time in how long? What else did he mis-report?

3. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    He keeps sending up the alert flare on the McCallister hiring, now for the third time in 3-4 weeks.

4. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    where there's smoke there's fire----we have not dodged the McAllister bullet as a club just yet. Especially with Houllier obsessed with hiring him.... It's probably only a matter of time before McAllister signs on the dotted line.

5. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the first I've seen him (and Lewis) reporting that it's a done deal.

6. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Dyer's been all over this story from early on and reported the deal as imminent several times. One of his stories actually got taken down. Whether he ends up being right on this deal or not, he's been out in front of everyone else on at least three occasions.

7. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Imminent" doesn't ring the same as "done deal" to me.

This is the first I've heard anyone say it's a done deal.

8. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Oh whatever. If you want to play princess on a pea be my guest.

9. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :confused:

The title of the article is "Red Bulls to name McAllister coach"

I haven't seen that anywhere until today.

10. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    If you want to drawn that fine a distinction it's your business. But, Dyer has been pumping this story as if it was going to happen any moment for the past few weeks, that McCallister was first choice, the only choice. As we've seen in more recent reporting, the truth is he's not the only one Red Bull have talked to about the position. IMO, Dyer's credibility has taken a hit this month because he chose to report the scuttlebutt first without all the other details. So he's been yanking our chain a lot longer than anyone else. Dyer saying the deal is done only to have another report come out and say it isn't sounds like it is just one more link in the chain.

OTOH, neither you nor he are my girlfriend so I don't have to indulge it and play nice. When the club makes an official report, it'll be official. Until then, I'm skeptical and still hoping it will be someone else.

11. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No problem. At no point did I get the feeling from Dyer that it was going to happen any day now within the past month. Not until today. Up until now my understanding was that the in-fighting at Red Bull was really holding this up and they were getting nowhere fast.

I don't really follow his twitter feed though...and of course it's possible that he's totally off base.

12. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have overhauled our roster already without a coach. As long as the coach is there when training camp starts (I would assume there would be on by then) then it really doesn't make a difference at this point.

And as far as the draft, we only have one pick and the draft isn't going to make a huge difference on our roster. The front office people and scouts in place have already been preparing for the draft and I would imagine Roxburgh would be the one making the pick since player acquisition is his job. Plus the combine hasn't happened yet. So the draft is the least of my worries.

13. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Well it is not going to be Reyna it seems. This points to a foreign coach, likely it is to be McCallister as of now, but $2 million can buy you a lot of coaching, certainly more than a guy who's primary resume item is knowing Gerard Houillier.

14. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Petke and Reyna as assistants seems to me to be a good move--former players with league experience who can advise the new (foreign) coach once he gets here.

15. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
  16. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that article just confirms one thing--this is a team that really does not know what direction it is going in. I wonder if it has always been this chaotic behind the scenes of the club but we just weren't aware of it?

As an example: I remember Chris Heck saying in his final interview to the fans that he wanted to have a real budget for marketing purposes but that HQ turned him down and tied his hands. That certainly sounded dysfunctional to me at the time--expecting someone to do a job and not giving him the tools necessary to succeed.

17. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Big fan of bringing Reyna on board, hopefully with his resume and ties to the local soccer community we can start to shake that reputation of ignoring American talent.

The infighting on the other hand... I wish Houllier would just trust Roxburgh and de Bontin to do the job he hired them to do.

18. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heck screwed up a lot of things that didn't involve a marketing budget. Can you imagine how many millions of dollars he would have wasted on his likely ineffective marketing ideas? Yikes.

I get the feeling that previously there were a group of hard working people who knew the American game, but were struggling against an Owner who didn't give a $hit. Now the sense I get is that there's an even LARGER group of people who understand the task at hand struggling against one man/entity (Houllier/Red Bull).

From all the press clippings up to this point it sounds like de Bontin and Roxburgh (and everyone under them) are on the same page. They are correct to hire and American coach and put a premium on developing domestic talent while trying to rebuild the fanbase that Heck destroyed.

Unfortunately they all have to answer to the one guy who has no clue what he's doing, but all the power to mess it up.

I guess Houllier doesn't trust...himself? ;)

19. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    A assistant?...Isn't the one who make desitions he yest know to say, Yes Sr...

I will let Peke to be a interim coach, just to see, if he don't give some fruits in couple of months, well, bring somebody else. .....Beside all that, the RB admin will have a little of more time to look for some body around....

21. theENFORCER

theENFORCER Member

Apr 10, 2010
    NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These are the moves we should be making. Now we just need Nichol to be at the helm and we'll have a very balanced staff with plenty of MLS and US soccer experience.

And I'm sure the salary we'll be dishing out to McAllister would be able to pay for Nichol's, Petke's and Reyna's salary.

22. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ramos and petke combo would have been better................not a big claudia fan

23. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have any clue as to why Ramos would make a good coach? Or what he is even doing nowadays?

24. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Believ he is U-20 Nat team coach and can develop talent and was firece competitor and local NJ guy as well. Guy is pure class with Jersey and MetroStar roots. Now tell me why he would not be a great coach?

25. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    If that resume would make him a great coach, then what do you have against Reyna as an assistant? Reyna has a nearly identical resume except that he was youth technical director for USSF instead of a youth coach.