2012-13 Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by theENFORCER, Nov 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Is true Roxbury say that they will give more attention to local players from now on, but to build a bench or subs rosters with this kind of players will take three or four years at least, we will be lucky if we can get a couple of players like Lade and Barklage, because we have not picks at the Super Draft, the late admin trade or sale them like potatoes and the one we had; Backe and Soler send them away. So, to have the necessary bench and sub rosters this year we will have to bring players from out side (Internationals) and for that will be necessary a lot of money, but if they spend all the money on three players that will never happen, and we will never will get off the first round on the Play Off if, we come that far at the end of the year.... So this year we will need the Money of Cooper, Pearce and the DP left for Marquez to buy all those Internationals.... Only in the Mid Field section we need 4 or 5 players and 1 or 2 as defenders good enough to start any time when they are needed to start and you have to spend at least 150 or 200K for each one of them, and in 5 or 6 of them you need a one cool Million to get it.....

2. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Prime aged midfield player from a good league with little injury history or an old striker who hasn't played in years?

These are not tough decisions.

3. LikeMike

LikeMike New Member

Dec 26, 2012
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Cahill looks to be on his way to Sunderland on loan. How do we view this? Good he'll be playing but surely this means more chance of him picking up an injury.

4. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Where'd you read that? I'm surprised, I thought he said he wouldn't play for an EPL team other than Everton.

5. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Source?

I find it hard to believe. I don't think he would go anywhere besides Everton. That's pretty much the reason he is MLS because he could have easily kept playing in the EPL after leaving Everton.

6. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    LikeMike repped this.
  7. theENFORCER

theENFORCER Member

Apr 10, 2010
    NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing that concerns me is that Cahill has been playing alot of football over the past year and a half.. In the 2011/12 season he played in the EPL and in the Asian Cup for his country(in the winter) than he joined us in mid summer to play almost half a season with us.

He'll be fine and I like for players to get loaned out for loans during the offseason but I hope it's not taking a toll on him.

8. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Soccer is a game you play with the feet therefore they get lots of hits and at this age (33+), those hits hurt a lot and they are accident-prone to get hurt pretty bad and get in the DS and lost a lot of game for this, so, is better if they go and take they full vacation, any way the MLS team will start in less than three week the preseason since they open the season on March....

9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was this meant to be sarcastic? Late November end until a late January return to camp doesn't seem long.

tigersoccer2005 repped this.
  10. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This year the off season will be the shortest it has ever been in MLS's history, players are supposed to report to preseason opening camps by late January to be ready for an early march kick-off (or earlier if you qualified for CCL)--assuming your team didn't qualify for the playoffs you have November and December off and the first 2 weeks of January.
    I believe almost an entire month of player offseason downtime has been eliminated :eek:

11. theENFORCER

theENFORCER Member

Apr 10, 2010
    NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Its about a full month longer than the English off-season, longer if you don't make the playoffs. Maybe saying its "ridiculously long" was a bit exaggerated, but both Henry and Cahill have been very vocal about not wanting to be inactive for that long, hence the loans.

13. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The article says that Red Bull are prepared to offer Dune 50,000 pounds sterling a week---that is 80,000 dollars a week!:eek: This for a 33 year old guy who has a history of injury o_O --from the article:
    This move has "disaster waiting to happen" written all over it. :unsure:

Just because a guy is available on free transfer doesn't mean he is the best guy for the team....
    Looks like we will trade one old, injury prone DP (Rafa) for another old and injury prone DP.
    One can only hope his attitude at least will be better.

14. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. theENFORCER

theENFORCER Member

Apr 10, 2010
    NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't like the signing but I don't think he's injury prone or has a history of picking up injuries. I think(?) he's currently hurt but judging by his stats he's been pretty much healthy over the past couple of years.

I don't think the DP slot should be wasted on a defender unless if it's a glaring need or if the player is deserving of the slot. Our defense has been our weak point over the past couple of seasons but I thought we were fine in the backline heading into the season. We already have Pearce, Olave, Conde, Hulk as players who can play CB, strange signing..

The DP slot should be spread out for 2-3 quality MLS'ers or try to snag a midfielder. But not a CB!

16. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

LikeMike repped this.
  17. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just concerned that he's recently undergone the third operation on his groin. Having a history of repeated injury to one specific area of the body is definitely not a good thing when you're in pro sports. And groin injuries are one of those very tricky, nagging type injuries that tend to take a guy out for large stretches of the season at a time. We have enough with Henry and his crystal knees/achilles.

18. theENFORCER

theENFORCER Member

Apr 10, 2010
    NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't know about that and his age may be a concern.. I haven't watched much of him but he seems like a real physical CB(he's 210 pounds!) and a pairing up with Olave or Hulk will be a physical but extremely slow CB pairing. That's definitely going to be a concern and we had that issue last season.

Although I don't like wasting DP's on defenders i'm not going to write off the signing just yet. Our defense has been atrocious over the past few years and if he can change the culture of the team than i'll be fine with him actually.

19. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. A major or reoccurring injury can ruin your career. Especially at 33. Additionally I completely disagree with using DP's on a center back. There are lots of useful defenders and goalkeepers around here for a fraction of the cost. Spend that money on the kind of quality and creativity the league sometimes lacks.

20. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And this. If you're going to use Olave or Hulk as one of the 2 CB's the second needs to be in the mold of a Bocanegra, DeMerit, Wynne, etc.

21. theENFORCER

theENFORCER Member

Apr 10, 2010
    NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's funny that when we had Ream we paired him up with Keel(a finesse CB) and we all wanted a big, physical CB to pair him up with and now all we have is big and physical CB's.

If we do get Dunne i'd start Conde next to him on the left(if he's still here). We could also put out the slowest backline in MLS history with Pearce-Olave-Dunne-Hulk lololol

22. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look I love Keel and think he's great simply for the energy he brings.

But we could find a better CB like him for a little more money.

23. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Let's also keep in mind that the Dunne story is coming from an English sports tabloid, possibly the lowest form of journalism on the planet.

24. theENFORCER

theENFORCER Member

Apr 10, 2010
    NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I completely agree I was just pointing out that two years our CB's were finesse and now all we have are a bunch of huge and physical CB's.

EDIT: I DON"T think Keel is starting material

25. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately Keel and his awesome hair were cut by the Red Bulls---so we will have to find another guy if we want a finesse defender. :(