2012-13 offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Howard the Drake, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Silock

Silock Member

Feb 8, 2007
    KC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roger leaving SUCKS. Mostly because Wigan is horrible. I'd rather have seen him gone to a better team.

2. Elías Remolque

Feb 24, 2008
    Buenos Aires
    Could work out nicely as a stepping stone for him. They've invested nothing since he's a free transfer. If he shows well, and other teams are interested, anything they can get for him would be profit. Much different than most guys who jump from MLS to Europe. Much better exposure at the bottom of the EPL than playing for a team like Brondby.

3. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Collin got his green card, anothet international slot opened.

4. KopRules

KopRules Member+

May 31, 2011
    Beautiful South KC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Does anyone know the time window for a work visa -- is January completely out of the question for Roger this season?

Absolutely no guarantee Roger/Wigan even see the prem next season.

5. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He'll get his work permit in timely fashion but getting onto the field will be the challenge early on.

6. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. We are crying out for goal scorers, which is exactly the role that these two are supposed to fill. If they can't start putting the ball in the back of the net when they get the opportunity, then we eventually need to find someone who can. That said, they are both still young, and I will force myself to be patient if they don't bloom this year. Patience paid off with Besler, Zusi and Myers, so I will continue to trust PV.

I'd like to see Sapong work out like an animal this offseason and come back stronger next year. Hopefully he has learned that he is going to get fouled nonstop, and he is going to have to fight through it and stay on his feet more, because he isn't going to get the calls that he wants to get.

7. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I was disappointed with the amount of times that Sapong was knocked off of his feet or just went down in a traffic. Along with getting stronger, working on being more creative and shooting would be a plus in the off season. He needs all of that if he is going to take it to the next level.

8. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He needs to do whatever Beasler did. He came back so much more fit and stronger.

9. ji_shuheng

ji_shuheng Member+

Mar 26, 2003
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no one's going to complain if one of our center forwards scores 2o goals in a season, but i get the sense we use them more to keep opponents from playing their back lines anywhere near as high as we play ours, rather than to turn buildup from the midfield into goals.

10. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I feel that's the definition of Bunbury. His strength seems to be harrassing the defense, as opposed to winning the games. Helpful, effective... but your forwards should not be your first line of defense--or at least not in focus.

11. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having said this, why are we wasting a SI spot on Little K? Why is not applying for a green card? Seems like a HUGE waste on a little guy that never even dresses. I know we will need depth next year, but he should at least apply for the card to help out, shouldn't he? I would rather Ellis get in line ahead of him and cut Little K loose.....

12. PezJunkie

PezJunkie Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Independence, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I imagine he's the first to go if we ever need to free-up an SI spot. Since he only makes $44,100 and we have SI spots to spare, I don't see a downside to keeping him around.

13. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering we got the spot back from San Jose and have FIVE open international spots I don't think it'll be a problem. But I've said for a few years now he'd be gone but he's stuck around.

14. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Not to be daft, but is Little K referring to Aiyegbusi? Because if so, doesn't he already hold dual citizenship elsewhere? Not sure if that screws things up. Or if you're talking about someone else entirely.

15. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes it is Aiyegbusi and yes he has dual citizenship (England/Nigeria I believe) but that shouldn't be a GC issue

16. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? The better the team, the less likely he is to get playing time. He had offers for better teams but took the Wigan offer. I would rather see him get regular playing time and possibly be a starter than be on a team where he will play in early round cup games, start some random games, and then be a sub most of the time. I also wouldnt call any EPL team horrible.

It is the age old question of whether you want to be a star of a bad team or a bench warmer on a good team. I would take the former anyday unless I was closing in on retirement and wanted a title.

17. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So a few names of players are coming out that will likely be in the reentry draft starting next week. I haven't seen anyone so far that I'd take in the first round, but 3 games have stood out as potential second phase guys, Tony Tchani, Ike Opara, and Julius James.

18. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it does suck, but i like roberto martinez.

kopiteinkc repped this.
  19. Lebowski

Lebowski BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 23, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    If the club has money to spend, I hope Robb makes a call to Seattle to find out about Montero. I can't stand him in Rave Green, but I'd like to see him in Sporting Blue.

20. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No thanks, Montero is one guy I'd have trouble cheering for even in Sporting blue.

21. ji_shuheng

ji_shuheng Member+

Mar 26, 2003
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we'd have to trade players and/or allocation money and/or draft picks and/or international or DP slots, right? i didn't think MLS clubs bought players from other MLS clubs. or am i completely wrong about that?

22. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree. He's got talent, sure, but he does not fit into the mold that PV likes to see in his players. From my perspective (which I'm sure is an incomplete picture), he seems to be a whiny, diving prima donna.

I want a Wondo-type in his mid-20's. Is that so hard to find? ;)

23. Lebowski

Lebowski BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 23, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    That's how I see him too, but I'm just dreaming that PV can motivate him, whereas Sigi cannot. EJ is the man there now and from what I read in the Seattle Times, they appear tight against the salary limits.

I just want someone that can score and Fredy can do it as good as anyone in MLS when he is on his game.

24. ryanhetu

ryanhetu Member

May 16, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of rumors swirling about Luis Fabiano to MLS. That would be nice.

25. KopRules

KopRules Member+

May 31, 2011
    Beautiful South KC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Per Don Garber, I am the phace [sic] of MLS 2013:

"What we are eager to do now is have the teams and the supporters movements be MLS' face. It is our incredible supporter culture -- the atmosphere in our stadia -- that sets us apart. We did not have that culture in 2007. Now we do. Our fans will be the new David Beckham."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/blog/_/name/espnfcunited/id/1968?cc=5901