2012-13 offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Howard the Drake, Nov 8, 2012.

1. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Oh. So, yeah, I totally misread your follow up. My bad.

2. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say that there are probably some who are reacting the way that you are describing, but I think there's still a good number of people for whom it wouldn't matter if he was quitting and even a smaller number who would be more supportive if he didn't quit.

3. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, I agree with this. I think there is a pretty large group of people who could have reacted the same way had he kept playing.

4. Oobers

Oobers Member+

Oct 17, 2011
    Boise
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    So what's the protocol for training the week before a game when you're supposed to get 8+ inches of snow? Back to the indoor facility?

5. ji_shuheng

ji_shuheng Member+

Mar 26, 2003
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    snowball fights.

6. Oobers

Oobers Member+

Oct 17, 2011
    Boise
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

7. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arrowhead practice facility.

8. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jerome and Duke were both there tonight. If they're not signed I'd be shocked.

9. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is the latest update on Teal Bunbury? Anybody see him training?

10. YilmazOrhan

YilmazOrhan Well Brian, I hit it first time...

Jun 18, 2006
    Suburbia, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read someplace (probably here) that he's just now starting to do some straight line running. He's not expected back until June.

11. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes somewhere like a page or do back in this thread of the preseason thread.

12. ji_shuheng

ji_shuheng Member+

Mar 26, 2003
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    all the new pics of teal in the new shirt, it's easy to wonder if he's going to be playing sooner than thought. even if you know he's not. it's easy to wonder.

13. DemDave

DemDave Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I don't think there's much to read into that. Probably has more to do with the fact that he can fit a photo shoot into his day easier than a lot of the guys.

14. ji_shuheng

ji_shuheng Member+

Mar 26, 2003
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes. logically, there's no reason to believe anything but:

1) open schedule (as you said)
    2) good looking dude
    3) nats "star"

15. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jerome and Duke are officially signed.

ji_shuheng repped this.
  16. aletheist

aletheist Member+

Nov 17, 2010
    Olathe, Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know that Jerome is primarily a right back and that Duke is a midfielder, but where will the latter most readily fit in SKC's typical 4-3-3?

17. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably the 'middle' of the 3 midfielders, not the total d-mid but not attacking.

18. ji_shuheng

ji_shuheng Member+

Mar 26, 2003
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so benny's spot?

19. aletheist

aletheist Member+

Nov 17, 2010
    Olathe, Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I assume that this means the box-to-box role that Espinoza typically played last year, and that now will be filled--at least initially--by Nagamura. My hope is that Joseph or (preferably) Lopez will take over by the end of the season. It looks like Feilhaber will generally be the attacking midfielder, with Zusi on the wing, unless and until Kamara returns.

EDIT: On the other hand, Tod Palmer's article for the Star calls Duke "an attacking midfielder who also played left back one season."

20. Soccer7947

Soccer7947 Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Kansas
    I don't want Joseph doing any type of defending. The guy is still a red card waiting with his forceful tackles, and Lopez is a player for the future. I don't expect big things from him for the next 2-3 years at least. He needs to bulk up and get out of college mode. I hope he gets sent to Orlando for the year and get some professional soccer in him.

Nagamura is really the best player we have that can fit Rogers shoes. If he goes down, I think there are a couple other players that could take his place before Lopez sees the field.

21. aletheist

aletheist Member+

Nov 17, 2010
    Olathe, Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Many would have written (with good reason) the exact same thing about Espinoza early in his career. In any case, Joseph is probably better suited to an attacking midfield role, which is why I said that Lopez is preferable as the box-to-box guy.
    Probably true--Thomas comes to mind, for example, as well as the alignment that puts Zusi back in the midfield and Sapong (or Peterson, when healthy) out on the wing--but my point was that ideally Lopez will develop rapidly enough to be getting most of the first-team minutes at that position by the end of the season. In fact, some are already touting him as a Rookie of the Year candidate, although I would be genuinely (and pleasantly) surprised if he ends up getting enough minutes overall to be in the running for that. In any case, he is probably in line to take over next season, since I believe that this is a contract year for Nagamura, our most expensive non-DP.

22. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good news, this thread only as about 30 hours left to live.

23. Soccer7947

Soccer7947 Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Kansas
    I hear you there. I was the one who got on Espinoza's ass about the red cards. I am a person who doesn't care as much about red cards when they come from a double yellow in the 80+ min. IIRC, Espinoza and Joesph were straight reds.

IMO, Lopez needs to gain man muscle in this league. It is great that he can go box to box, but can he be a physical presence at 5'8' 160 lbs just out of college? That is why I think he is project player for this year. Get him some regular playing time in Orlando, so he can start learning how to throw his body around at the next level. I think that Sporting can build him up to be a starter like a Zusi (not position, but time of development) . Just because he is a 1st round Draft pick doesn't mean he should get the shot faster then anyone else. With the GA tag we can take more time with him. I think that we as a team have a good rotation of talent that we can hold players off a year if they need it for growth. [/quote]

Yeah, I don't think he is worth that money on this team.

24. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    unsticky this and the first kick thread?