2012-13 Official Very Small Rocks Pre-, During-, and Post-Draft Banter Thread

Discussion in 'Games & Fantasy' started by Hal, Jul 30, 2012.

1. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I was 3 years old in 1981!

2. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hmm, I was 17, your point? ;)

3. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ok leaving for an early commute -- will check back in 35 mins or so ...

4. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    hmmm, no movement. Check again in an hour or so

5. Hal

Hal Member+

Sep 9, 1999
    May I suggest that each VSR manager review the draft thread for their own performance on how long they held up the draft between picks.

After that exercise, may I suggest that each of us strive to do better for the last 6-7 picks and step up on our use of proxies and on clearly stating our availability or nonavailability in the banter thread.

Experience has shown us that players drafted after the 5th and 6th rounds have little likelihood of still being on your team at the end of the season. Managers typically drop them for the hot hands on the hot team or because of schedule advantages. Plus, there is the free for all for new signings that go until the transfer window closes on Aug 31 and after that there are the new loan players.

What I'm saying is that we shouldn't have to scrutinize over the player lists for that perfect pick for the second half of the draft. Just worry about not exceeding three people from one team and making sure your finances are right.

As of now, many VSR managers will be competing for the same 4- 4.5 and maybe 5.0 players to complete their teams while staying under the 100 M Pounds salary cap.

6. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Going on a run - won't be more than 45 minutes though doubt it gets to me.

Tonight and tomorrow am completely free

7. Hal

Hal Member+

Sep 9, 1999
    The minimum priced players at each position are 4.5 M for forwards and mids and 4.0 for def and GK. Of course, you won't find a starting keeper at 4.0. You may find a starting defender at 4.0 for some of the promoted teams. You'll have trouble finding any good mids at even 5, much less 4.5. Just saying, plan your remaining picks to stay within the salary cap. I'll alert you and declare your pick illegal if it puts you in a position where it is mathematically impossible to complete your squad under the salary cap.

8. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Have proxies for Mark...

9. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Hal - are ThiKu's proxies he gave you all taken?

10. Hal

Hal Member+

Sep 9, 1999
    I'm so out of it. I thought I just had his proxies for his 8th pick. My bad. I'm waiting on myself.
    Will be posting his and my picks shortly.

11. tarvinodos

tarvinodos Member+

Jul 17, 2008
    Long Beach, CA
    will be out for a bit. Sent a proxy to Wendy's

12. Wendys

Wendys Member

Mar 28, 2000
    Got it. I'll be up until about 1:00 a.m. EST and then back at the computer again at 10:00 a.m. EST in the morning if it doesn't get to CSS and my team. We can turn the corner pretty fast if it does get there tonight. I'm in no rush though. I like the draft!

13. Hal

Hal Member+

Sep 9, 1999
    I still have some available players off ThiKu's list for picks 8 and 9, but not clear I have OK to use them for his Pick 10. Sent a text to Kurt requesting instructions.

14. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Phillies suck. Dad and I never leave early. Should be in the car if it comes back to me.

15. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    According to ThiKu's posts, he was supposed to be around starting this evening so we should probably wait

16. Hal

Hal Member+

Sep 9, 1999
    Got an email from Kurt and he'll be on in about an hour to make his own picks. That email was 30 min ago.

17. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    If someone has the proxy, I'd greatly appreciate it. Starting to pass out and would love to crash soon.

18. Hal

Hal Member+

Sep 9, 1999
    I'll be up another 30 min and then periodically during the night.

19. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Same.

I have 20-30 more minutes in me then need to get to bed

20. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Since no one has proxies for Sutton, I might as well go to sleep

21. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'm here for the rest of the night.

Very interesting draft so far. IMO the league is quite deep this year in terms of big-ish names and players who have put up big scores in the past and/or have the potential to score big this year. That said, it's been more difficult for me to nail down sure-fire starters.

I think Hazard will play most games, but surely he will sit out some of the "easier" league games as the cup games start coming fast and furious (hopefully!), especially with Chelsea's new-found attacking midfield depth. Ashley Young scored huge points in less than 2000 mins last season, but I worry about the likes of Valencia, Nani, and the newboy Kagawa stealing minutes. At least Park has gone.

The same goes for Arteta as Arsenal. How will the arrival of Cazorla affect his play time? Arsenal already have a bounty of midfield options with a couple of players returning from injury this season.

Updated the Picks and Drafted Teams pages on googledocs.

22. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Going to sleep now. Sent proxy for my Rd 11 selection to kopite so he can make his picks. I am going golfing in the morning so I will be up early to move things along with my Round 12 pick.

23. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I am back in the land of living. A post about last nights amazing match will come later today!

Eddie26 repped this.
  24. Wendys

Wendys Member

Mar 28, 2000
    Finally heading in to work this morning. I know I'm on deck so I'll check in first thing when I get there. Should take me 30 minutes or so.

25. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    My parents offered to watch the baby so my wife and I can have a "date day". Unfortunately my wife and I have different ideas of what to do. She won, I am fabric shopping in the garment district and walking around Olde City and Center City. I however will stop for a pint at every proper pub.