2012-13 European Football thread [R]

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by patricksp, Jun 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Really? You think Dortmund is a weakling? We don't know yet which two teams in this group will fail to advance but there will be two teams who drop out. That doesn't make them weaklings, it just means the group was ridiculous.

2. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I think Dortmund, for the past ten years, have been very weak in Europe. Which makes them a weak European team. Any Dortmund fan would say the same.

Now, that could change this season. But as far as playing in Europe is concerned, yes, they are a weakling.

Placid Casual repped this.
  3. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Odd question
    I have a 2012 Tottenham jersey. Now that Dempsey is on the team and has a number I want to get it put on my jersey. Anyone know a place locally or online that will do it?

4. BeMassiveSoccer

Jul 27, 2007
    Relegation Zone
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I think (but I'm not sure) Soccer Plus in Westerville can do EPL numbers/lettering.

CrewV Man repped this.
  5. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Nice try. Using a 10 year standard is so silly even UEFA doesn't do it. There's enough mobility among coaches and players that I think seeding this year based on results more than a couple years old is suspect. Inter is getting credit for the work of guys who now are employed at Real. If form holds and Real and City are the teams to advance from the group, does that mean Dortmund sucks even if they could win other groups?

6. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    they (Soccer Plus) do not. they refer people to a couple of other sporting goods stores that do lettering but they aren't authentic EPL lettering, etc. The only way I know of is to buy online with auth lettering part of the order.

7. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crap. Thanks. If Dempsey would have been on the team at the beginning of the season I would have done so but Under Armor who I bought it from will not do it either.

8. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    What are you not understanding? BVB have done f--- all in Europe since they were UEFA Cup runner-ups.

How the hell can you make the argument that they are NOT a weak side in European competitions? What have they accomplished in Europe recently? Nothing!

I'm not saying BVB sucks. I'm saying they've sucked in Europe. How can you say otherwise?

Placid Casual repped this.
  9. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    Wait, when the coach moves clubs all the players and infrastructure moves with them?

10. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    UEFA goes back 5 seasons and it is based on the club's performance and on the countries performance.

Coefficient calculation Clubs' coefficients are determined by the sum of all points won in the previous five years, plus 20% of the association coefficient over the same period (33% before 2009).

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/index.html

11. djtrinidad

djtrinidad Member

May 30, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The Onion bag soccer shop does it if you sent them the jersey. I had it done a couple times with authentic lettering and they did a great job. It has been a couple years though since I did so. Check here:
    http://www.onionbag.com/static/names-and-numbers.aspx

CrewV Man repped this.
  12. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The new TV series "Being Liverpool" is airing on WTTE on Sunday, 9/16 at 3 PM.

It'll be interesting to see how often it runs on FTA TV.

13. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
  14. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Villa didn't lose this weekend! w00t! Progress!

15. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    Initially excited but I think we all want to know what the role actually mean. It is not going to be director of football type role as that is currently held by a 22 year old who just happens to be the chairmans son. Obviously with his experience it will help out our relatively inexperienced coach, and hopefully will help wrangle the egos we have in the playing staff.

He was on the team coach to yeovil and was in the stands to watch our first win of the season.

I am sure once the permier league managerial merry-go-round starts up again in Nov/Dec time we will know a whole bunch more.

16. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Rumours flying around that he will be coming to us when Pearson is sacked.

17. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
  18. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bayern are looking impressive this year

19. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Villa win! Villa win!

20. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    No Gomez, no Ribery, no Robben, no problem.

Curious to see how we do against Valencia on Wednesday.

21. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to turn this into a Euro vs MLS battle but the one thing that I do like about MLS is the playoffs. With 10 games to go lots of the teams are fighting to get in or for positioning. Now with the best team getting MLS Cup at home even more at stake. I have argued in the past with relegation (usually 5-6 teams usually battling down there), Champions League (2-3 teams fighting for the last spot), Europa (2-3 teams fighting for that) there was "enough" stuff to play for at the end of the season. However, most supporters dont care about Europa league which leaves a massive gap between teams playing for something.

22. bobbybhoy1

bobbybhoy1 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    in a State of Grace
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    nope

23. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Several things wrong with this sentence.

Supporters aren't the teams. Whether the supporters care about the EL is irrelevant. The teams still fight hard for EL spots because 1) it's still Europe 2) the club would earn a load of money.

And for the record, some teams' supporters are thrilled to be in the Europa League.

24. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go on forums like Spurs or Liverpool and they would rather not even be there. Liverpool fielded barely a B team in their latest Europa League games. Everton forums people don't want to win Europa League because it would hurt our league play.

I personally love any trophies, regardless of competition.

25. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given where Villa is now sitting, I'd be thrilled with getting back to Europa games like we had a few years ago.

If only we'd actually try to win them the next time.