2012-13 European Football thread [R]

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by patricksp, Jun 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    Selling fellaini to arsenal for 15 mill would help too.

2. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Fellaini is worth 30Mil and not a penny or quid less.

3. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    I would be surprised if he goes for less than 20, but would 30 be too rich for most teams?

4. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
  5. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    If Stuart Downing is worth 22Mil. ...then Felli is nailed on at 30. ;)

6. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    English players are always overpriced. And Liverpool's recent spending records have been kinda ridiculous (Carroll, Henderson). I read something the other day and it reminded me that Robbie Keane (I know he's not English, but more to their spending) was on the squad for a while. I had compelely forgotten.

7. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The business model for the EPL is poor across the board. Basically everyone either treads water or has a sugar daddy. It's not new that the board has no desire to invest money into the team. BK has been "looking" for investment for years and turned up nothing. The real issue is our commercial revenue streams stink. Why is that? I say it's due to having the wrong people in the wrong positions. We are leaving money on the table every year because of poor commercial performance. Improve a little there and add in the Sky money and you have a balanced budget. Granted, buying players would still be an issue. Our debt levels are not nearly as crazy as other clubs

Or sell Fellaini and Baines and you won't have to do anything for a couple years. If you think that Everton are going to be getting 20 mill from anyone to use on transfers then you are crazy.

Our best bet is to somehow make the Champions League this season and have someone buy the club due to the increase in sky and champions league money

9. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't take a penny less than 30. One of the top midfielders in the world.

10. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    Fixed...

Skeleton Crew repped this.
  11. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Do BPL clubs get much for their jersey rights? Apart from the top 4 or 5 teams, it seems half the league has some internet gambling site on their jerseys. The LED signage around the fields seems to advertise beer most of the time too. Is that a reflection of the demographics of the audience or just taking what the clubs can get?

12. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    Demographics is a big part of it. There are some other soccer forums/messageboards (shock) that I visit and I get spammed with the same companies.

13. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is just a guess but I would say the clubs get whatever they can. It probably explains why you can still see adds for Pete's Auto Mechanic and Hal's Liquors on some of the smaller billboards.

14. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    It is weird how effective those shirts and field signage are. My company is doing a lot of work in the UK now and it is weird but also rather calming when I recognize a company name from the front of a shirt or something. When faced with the decision between which ATM to get money out of, I chose Nationwide as I recognized them from the front of the England National Team training jerseys. Our private medical insurance carrier is Aviva, which I recognized from Norwich, just dumb stuff like that.

15. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Some. Chang (#1 Thai beer) has sponsored Everton for almost a decade now (i may be off a year or two) and recently have signed "the most lucrative deal" in history for the club. I think it was 7Mil per year.

I would fancy a guess that Emirates or Etihad pay more than 7mil per year and 360bet.com pays less

16. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    You would be safe in that bet as Emirates and Etihad are the kind of companies that will be used to get passed the "Fair Play" stuff that is coming through. Investment through "sponsorships". It's like paying players for their "services in the community" - just another way to get round any perceived financial constraints.

17. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
  18. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
  19. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. NC Soccer United

NC Soccer United BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Hammers have their cheesy-assed SBOBET.com on their kits. Makes them look real pub league. At least the Crew has a reputable sponsor in Barbasol.

21. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    At least they aren't loan sharks like Newcastle's future shirt sponsor (and Blackpool's current).

22. NC Soccer United

NC Soccer United BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    It is close enough. So many scam artists adorn soccer kits these days. Herbalife, Xanga, Wonga, SBOBET.com, Invest in Africa, Qatar Foundation, bwin, etc.....

NUFCBayern repped this.
  23. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. NUFCBayern