2012-13 European Football thread [R]

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by patricksp, Jun 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spurs sack 'Arry

3. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    I honestly can't put words to this right now. An incredibly poor decision is about all I can muster, publicly, right now. I guess I should reserve judgment here to see what Levy pulls off in the post-Harry wake but I have little faith it is going to be worthwhile. Just extremely....BIRDAFLICKLE@#$%&*@#$%&!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
  5. Jake Folan

Jake Folan Member

May 24, 2012
    I think Hodgson will have to go far for him to keep his job.

6. Jake Folan

Jake Folan Member

May 24, 2012
    Are they now owned by MLSE?

7. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    It is simply not going to happen. Even if the FA are paying half what the paid capello that is still a huge amount of money to pay Hodgson in compensation for his 4 year contract.

Placid Casual repped this.
  8. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    The Harry news and replies started in the "Other Teams News" thread. I already vented a little bit there. Bottomline: this is horrible. I already regularly watch a team with a coach who plays boring as shit soccer and is praised for "doing so much with so little" that I don't have room for Moyes managing Spurs. And for all the Everton fans that are about to tell me how sorry they'd be to see him go and how lucky Tottenham is, YOU CAN ********ING KEEP HIM!!!!!!!

9. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Villa finally has a manager that's experienced in making something out of nothing. I'm excited to see what Lambert can do.

UTV!

10. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am pissed. Half the reason I became a Spurs fans was Harry. I like the way he plays and builds teams. Do you think he might want to come to Columbus?

11. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    i hate the "other teams news" thread. boooo boooooo

12. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I said in the other thread. I am pissed. Half the reason I am a Spurs fans is Harry. I loved how he built and played his team.
    Now they will probably replace a successful coach who is building a great team with someone who they think will get them to UCL or the title and they will end up 11th.

13. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As an Arsenal fan, I am obligated to say that I am pleased by this tremendously stupid decision.

14. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    Not to mention the players they are going to lose: Bale, Modric, Van der Vaart.

Harry DID get them to the CL twice, at least position-wise. Not his fault Chelsea won it all and gets an automatic bid. Also not his fault the big moves the Chairman made at the deadline to strengthen the squad for the stretch run were Louis Saha and Ryan Nelson. Hey, thanks asshole! Apparently Ruud Gullit and Eric Cantona were unavailable.

15. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    You don't often get a coach that manages to check more than one box

1) Can work within a budget
    2) Can be successful
    3) Can play attractive soccer

Checkbox two is really based on teams expectations. For example, Moyes checks two boxes, but Evertons expectations are probably lower than Spurs.

16. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which boxes does Bobby check there?

17. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    In my opinion, he has proven that he can work within a budget. Although that box is not necessarily his, I am not sure how much he is involved in salary discussions etc.

19. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Box 1 certainly doesn't apply Redknapp. How are Pompey doing these days?

21. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    Well, and let's be fair here, he does not sign the checks, balance the books etc. The chairman/owner shares some of the responsibility. Also, I think the Icelandic banks going tits up did not help Portsmouth.

Anywho, I would not have checked "worked within a budget" with Harry, just the other two boxes.

22. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This.

Do they really feel Harry was the reason they didn't make Champions League? Maybe they feel they can bring in Moyes? Guardiola? Scolari? or Guus?

23. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    The FA might be a bunch of bumbling incompetent idiots but even they are not stupid enough to fire Hodgson 4 months into a 4 year contract.

24. Jake Folan

Jake Folan Member

May 24, 2012
    If I am a prospective manager, I don't want the Tottenham job. If 'Arry got fired for that, I would certainly be out in a year or less.

25. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They don't seem as bad as Chelsea but true. And even if they bring in another coach, Tottenham will have to clean house because right now the team is definitely geared to 'Arry ball. Imagine even if they could land Pep Guardiola half the team would probably have to go.