2012-13 Crew Offseason Roster Thread

Discussion dans 'Columbus Crew' créé par POdinCowtown, 29 Octobre 2012.

Statut de la discussion:
N'est pas ouverte pour d'autres réponses.
  1. west ham sandwich

26 Février 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure I buy the whole Vukovic dog house meme around here. How many left backs did we off load? 3? Do we really think the team offloaded all the other left backs when the head coach was not a fan of the one guy they actually kept?

2. soccerscott27

soccerscott27 Member

16 Juillet 2012
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Article in the Dispatch a few hours ago discussing the future of Duka and Vukovic: http://www.dispatch.com/content/blogs/covering-the-crew/2012/11/duka-and-netzo.html

Highlights (lowlights of our moronic coach):

Vukovic said his contract is for three years but only the first was guaranteed.

“I like Columbus and I like the players,” he said.

During the season, head coach Robert Warzycha told me that Williams earned the spot over
    Vukovic because of “responsibility.” Vukovic said he did not understand why he lost the spot.
    Asked where the coaches told him they needed to see improvement, Vukovic said, “I have no clue. I talked to him, but I don’t agree with him. I think of the games I played, and I think I played good and I did some good stuff for the Crew. I had three assists and many good things, I think. I talked with him and he said I must do this and this. I tried, but when I do it how he wants it’s not good because I do it like before. Every time is different. I don’t know.”

“I think I played good, but then I had the problem with my ankle and I had to rest for a few weeks,” he said. “I came back, but then I didn’t play again. I wasn’t happy with that. Like everybody else, when you don’t play, you’re not happy. Now the season is over, I don’t know. I like Columbus. I like everyone here and guys like Mike (Lapper) and Brian Bliss and Mark (McCullers). Everyone who is here is good people.”

Notice a name missing about good people. Is the unnamed as big a nutcase as Piotr Nowack was in Philadelphia?

I would like to shove "responsibility" up Warzycha's dog house!!!

C-bus, eboe, DGA57 et 1 autre personne aiment ça.
  3. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

18 Novembre 2005
    I agree with you, kind of. He cut Francis, which made you think that Vukovic was his man, but then we hear that Anor is starting to play at left back in training/reserves....bit weird but not unheard of converting a winger/wide man to full back. Then Anor actually starts a game at left back (was Vuko injured maybe?), gets injured and basically since then Vuko has not seen the field, being replaced by a center back.

Just trying to piece together these things, and I am not able to rule out a dog house scenario.

4. BrickStreetBoy

3 Octobre 2012
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    IIRC Vuko and Miranda both played poorly against Montreal in our loss to them, then the next week Anor and Williams were starting out wide against SKC, both screw up, Anor tears his ACL, Williams takes over at LB for a game against DC and then Vuko injures his ankle midweek vs Stoke

5. soccerscott27

soccerscott27 Member

16 Juillet 2012
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Your memory is pretty good.

July 8th at Montreal: After we went up 1-0 in the 64th we seemed to bunker, as we almost always do. Vuko played poorly in that game with a yellow on a foul on Nyassi in the third minute. He later messed up in the 78th minute by tightening in the middle on Nyassi, while leaving the wide open overlapping Valentine. Gaven pinched in as well and Vuko couldn't recover, but almost did. But he did have an assist on the goal, as he sent in the corner. Anor was called over immediately and you could see the anger on Warzycha's face. I'm betting that was a talking point that week as that was one of Duncan's keys to the game. He was taken off in the 81st minute when the game was still tied at 1-1. Nyassi gave him trouble all game. Sometimes Vuko would step up in that game and Marshall was just sitting way to far back for no apparent reason, with no Impact player even close. Thus when he attempted an offside trap it wouldn't work. Birchall pushed Mapp down in the box to give the Impact the winning PK in the 89th minute. I give partial blame to Miranda as he pinched in resulting in Birchall gaurding two players out wide. Anor made several mistakes in that game in the little bit of time he was in, but Montreal was unable to finish the chances.

Anor started the next game against KC, had an early yellow, and assisted Kamara in KC's second goal by passing it straight to him. Anor did well with the free kicks and took several deep shots. The assist on the KC goal was well after the ACL tear in the 63rd and instead of taking out Anor, Warzycha took out Tchani and Williams.

6. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

4 Novembre 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RW also has Finley playing at LB.

Mendez talked about how he was rushed back to playing, so he injuried his hamstring again.

Higuain he is a DP because the Crew paid a transfer fee and the fee only apply's to this year, I have no idea what his salary will be next year.

7. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

15 Janvier 2002
    Columbus
    Higuain will certainly be a DP next year but his pay above the max is paid by HSG and doesn't count on the cap. So in terms of cap space Federico doesn't affect it much.

8. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

10 Avril 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You re-negotiate and still have that Friedel/Keller situation where the backup is just as reliable as the starter, but to do so would mean who-knows-what for Lampson. You know Hesmer, and even Gruenenbaum won't be around forever and Lampson seems like someone they'd want to cultivate into a future Crew starting GK.

It would be nice (maybe even a bit selfish/greedy) to keep Hesmer, but I wouldn't be surprised if he is let go. Plus, there was that Dispatch article from earlier in the year that could suggest he's ready to move on.

9. StatesideSoccer

17 Mai 2010
    Michigan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is where the dog house situation is sealed for me. When Williams and Anor had their mistakes, RW stood up for them and blamed the injuries.

But Vukovic has one very bad game after playing a large roll in a defense that had the back on lockdown for the early part of the season, and suddenly he's the one who needs to be responsible.

What's more, I haven't crunched the numbers, but my memory tells me that our once solid defense started springing leaks when we slid Williams out on the left in July.

Bottom line in my book: Vukovic should stay, but he's all but out the door. That Dispatch article sealed it.

eclipse02 et eboe aiment ça.
  10. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

23 Septembre 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is all on RW. You're right, when he moved Williams out left, the defense lost a lot because RW weakened the base of the spine. Williams did a serviceable job on the left, but we'd likely be still playing if Vuko had been utilized

11. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    26 Novembre 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't buy this.

I agree with most here, that Vuko probably should have been out there, and Williams is best suited for/has potential to be a really good center back. But I don't agree with this idea that the spine was weakened when Williams went outside, because the defense was pretty darn good for the first half of the season, and Williams only played in the center THREE times all season. Which means there were plenty of times that Williams was either on the outside or not in the lineup at all where we did just fine.

Mendes did pretty well in the center when healthy; he just wasn't healthy all that often. James was the one whose play disappointed me a lot, as he had a couple shockers, but he looked pretty decent at other times. I think this "weakening of the spine" just had a lot more to do with Chad Marshall's inconsistant play and the complete lack of chemistry and consistancy we had in our lineups. Every time you turned around, someone else was injured, either in the back or in the d-midfield.

One week Danny O'Rourke would be in the d-mid destroyer spot, the next he'd be out of the lineup, the next he'd be in the back, and the next he'd be back at d-mid. Mendes and James had a revolving door back there. You just can't get comfortable when someone different is out there beside you or in front of you every week.

Now, while I'm typing this, it's occurring to me: If Bob had just plugged Williams in at CB, and put Vukovic or anyone else at LB, maybe we'd have HAD some consistancy. But that's a little bit of a different argument.

12. ThreeC

ThreeC Member

23 Janvier 2008
    Cowbellumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is always hard for me. I think J Willy was our best defender this year, hands down. And yes, our best CB option. BUT I like him on the outside too because he is a real threat going forward. With a little better luck, he would of had 6 or 7 goals. Until Higuian and Jario, he was our best attacking threat many games. So, I think I understand a little bit about why RW kept him out there.

Now that we got our attack sorted, maybe he'll stay at CB. But the Crew sort of always had those streaking outside backs. I wonder what his preferred position is.

13. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

23 Septembre 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you take our best CB out of position to somewhere else and play a weaker person in that position, then said position is just that: weaker.

Mendes is alright, and James a bit less so. But let's look at an x factor here. The impact of Williams pairing with Marshall and what Marshall doesn't have to cover for when Williams is there.

That said, Marshall was his own bowl of shit for large pieces of the season, but on the other side of Marshall needing to cover for weaker CB's, Williams is also better cover for Marshall than Mendes or James.

So, like I said, if you take our best CB out of the spine to somewhere else and play a weaker person in that position, then the spine is just that: weaker.

14. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

15 Janvier 2002
    Columbus
    I never understood why Williams stayed at LB. After a few games there, other teams knew a fast winger could get by him. I think JW is better at CB than Mendes or James and Vukovic was better defensively at LB. Especially after adding Jairo and Federico we didn't need the runs by Williams more than the service by Vukovic. Williams could still get forward on set pieces.

15. StatesideSoccer

17 Mai 2010
    Michigan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His getting skinned by DeLeon during the second DC game still stings a bit.

16. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

19 Août 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Another interesting article in today's paper with an interview from Bliss:
    If our general consensus that Vargas, Hesmer, Vukovic, 1 of James/Mendes, and possibly 1 of Duka/Tchani are gone is correct, that would clear a huge chunk of change (~$600k+ of base compensation). We know we'll be filling some spots with cheap homegrown and draft guys.

Either we're overestimating the high salary cuts or Bliss is wrong and we will be able to sign one(+) expensive player. He seems to have the inside track, so I wonder if we'll end up keeping more of the guys than we expect.

ps-- I must give props to Jardy. He's impressed me all season with the stories he goes for in print. I think the Dispatch made a great hire. I miss S. Mitchell's cynical humor and (imo) superior writing, but I actually think Jardy might be more on-point as far as choosing which stories to tell.

deadhamlet44 aime ça.
  17. C-bus

C-bus Member

2 Août 2006
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can someone tell me what these league resources are that Bliss says we're getting?

Danny has not fully recovered from injury. I say give him a full season next year. But I am a biased fan of his so take that as you will.

18. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

4 Novembre 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Crew get some allocation money because they missed he playoffs, I think that is what Bliss is talking about.

19. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

15 Janvier 2002
    Columbus
    Yep. It used to be 250K but they don't announce the amount anymore. Regardless, the Crew shouldn't have any cap problems next year. I doubt any returning vets have big jumps in their contracts so we should be able to bring in a Miranda caliber foreign LB, and probably a near DP additional forward or midfielder. If we add some homegrown players, I expect the Crew will be well below the cap next season.

20. crewfan_in_columbus

25 Février 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we said that following the great leadership exodus of 2010, and then again after 2011. Dude just can't stay healthy. And to top it off, he's too slow now. Not that he was ever super quick before, but he's even slower now

The time has come to part ways.

21. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

18 Novembre 2005
    What date do contracts expire in MLS?

22. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

15 Janvier 2002
    Columbus
    December 31

23. Clintonville Bombers

16 Novembre 2008
  24. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

25 Janvier 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    A couple of points here:
    if we let go of hesmer (or he retires) we are 1 injury away from a disaster. The only reason we were even competative this year is because we had a compatent backup. Lampson is not proven. Again, Lampson is not proven.

Vargas is a waste of good cap space. heineman never impressed me. Meram is ok, but not a wing player. renteria is worth keeping. I think he is a beast off the bench and is good enough to start 10 games a year.

Our wide midfield was a major disappointment this year. Gaven was solid but noobody else stepped up. After years of Ekpo, Rogers and Gaven, I was spoiled with quality and speed. (not necessarily goals). duka has showed he doesn't want to play wide. Meram sucks at passing. finlay and speas are raw. we need a quality winger with speed. Imagine Higuain sending through passes to a speedy winger. it would open up our midfield and lead to better offense.

i think between marshall, james, and williams, we have a good centerbacks. we need a LB, (josh gardner anyone).

I thought milo was solid and capable. Birchall is an asset. Mendes is a quality player.

Gerhig scares the hell out of me.

Bottom line is cut 4 waste players and bring in 2 game changers and we're in the playoffs. do we need 30 or 31 players? How about 28 or 29 better quality ones?

25. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

20 Mars 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Interesting note: 2008, 2009 and 2010 champions all missed the playoffs the prior year but had added a significant amount of talent leading to their playoff run.

*Edit: RSL did make the 2008 playoffs, but the prior year did not. This was the year (08) they signed Espindola and Morales.

Partager cette page